KLM Airlines??

langleyfld

Using google can pull up lots of information. Or, go to the airline's webpage.

This is for a 14 day cruise, departing 25 May? If you are looking IAD-LHR, have you looked at the nonstop on Virgin Atlantic, RT $846?

Edited by 6rugrats

Has anyone flown with KLM from the East Coast to London? Need help with flight ideas to LHR for a cruise next May 2018. I know nothing about this airline :-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

KLM and Air France are both of he same family of companies. As others have stated KLM has been around for a very long time.

KLM and Air France are both of he same family of companies. As others have stated KLM has been around for a very long time.

KLM are a very good airline and their base hub in Schiphol in Amsterdam. This is a good location to change planes if you do not have direct flights as the airport has just one massive terminal with few stairs as the Netherlands is a flat country. Air France are based in Paris but Paris has a few different airports and changing planes is far less convenient there.

If you can swing it without it costing too much, I should go KLM and try to arrive in London after changing planes at Schiphol, at London City Airport LCY and bag a sightseeing tour of the major tourist interest spots as you land. London City airport is tiny and queues to get out of the airport are short or non-existent in comparison with Heathrow.

Regards John

This is for a 14 day cruise, departing 25 May? If you are looking IAD-LHR, have you looked at the nonstop on Virgin Atlantic, RT $846?

Wow, thank you, I'll check Virgin!!

KLM are a very good airline and their base hub in Schiphol in Amsterdam. This is a good location to change planes if you do not have direct flights as the airport has just one massive terminal with few stairs as the Netherlands is a flat country. Air France are based in Paris but Paris has a few different airports and changing planes is far less convenient there.

If you can swing it without it costing too much, I should go KLM and try to arrive in London after changing planes at Schiphol, at London City Airport LCY and bag a sightseeing tour of the major tourist interest spots as you land. London City airport is tiny and queues to get out of the airport are short or non-existent in comparison with Heathrow.

Regards John

Thanks John, I will definitely look into that! We plan to precruise a few days before transferring to Southampton!

''This is a good location to change planes if you do not have direct flights as the airport has just one massive terminal with few stairs as the Netherlands is a flat country.''

Brilliant!!! Must be a contender for the funniest comment of the year. Now I know why there are so many stairs in Swiss airports, as it is so mountainous there.

''This is a good location to change planes if you do not have direct flights as the airport has just one massive terminal with few stairs as the Netherlands is a flat country.''

Brilliant!!! Must be a contender for the funniest comment of the year. Now I know why there are so many stairs in Swiss airports, as it is so mountainous there.

I thought the same.... Guess they don't build 2 and 3 (or higher) story buildings in the Netherlands.

Except....Schiphol airport (AMS) IS actually multi-story. ;)

The main point of my post is that if you compare Air France to KLM or Paris to Amsterdam in terms of changing planes. Paris has three airports Charles de Gaulle, 3 terminals, Orly, 2 terminals and Beauvais, 2 terminals. That is three geographical locations and a total of 7 terminals. Amsterdam has Schiphol 1 terminal at a single location. To negotiate the City of Paris with inbound and outbound flights the odds are you have got an extended period of time to successfully complete the operation and may need to use buses, taxis or trains. This involves a complex plane change probably loads of stairs involved. Amsterdam Schiphol you arrive in the same terminal as you need for your next flight lifts are available.

Regards John

But being a flat country has nothing to do with stairs in an airport!

If you build a large building say 400,000 square meters on a sloping site one end will be at ground level while the other end will not due to the sloping site situation. Even a slight slope will be an issue on a very large building. A flat country has more sites that are level over a wide area.

I stayed in a hotel in Edinburgh a few years back which had three levels of basement, i.e. a basement, sub-basement and a basement below that with a gym and a car park in that. Strangely the main entrance of the hotel was at ground level to the road outside at the front but the rear entrance was three storeys down but at ground level to the street at the back. If you build an airport terminal on a sloping site you need stairs to take you from the ground floor at one end to the ground floor at the other end in the middle of the confusing floor where people argue about which floor they are on because the floors do not meet. You would not need these extra stairs on a level site.

This type of hotel layout will not be typical of Amsterdam. Obviously there will be stairs from one floor to the next in any building but if you build an airport terminal on a sloping site this will influence the number of stairwells required.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The main point of my post is that if you compare Air France to KLM or Paris to Amsterdam in terms of changing planes. Paris has three airports Charles de Gaulle, 3 terminals, Orly, 2 terminals and Beauvais, 2 terminals. That is three geographical locations and a total of 7 terminals. Amsterdam has Schiphol 1 terminal at a single location. To negotiate the City of Paris with inbound and outbound flights the odds are you have got an extended period of time to successfully complete the operation and may need to use buses, taxis or trains. This involves a complex plane change probably loads of stairs involved. Amsterdam Schiphol you arrive in the same terminal as you need for your next flight lifts are available.

This is about as disingenuous a post as I've seen in a while. Let's fisk it.

1) You talk about 3 airports in Paris. But Beauvais is used almost exclusively by Ryanair and Wizz Air. It is not a connecting hub. You want to compare AF with KL, yet AF doesn't even serve that airport.

2) The number of inter-airport connections on AF is very small compared to intra-CDG. It's as if you would similarly slam New York because they have LGA and JFK (not to mention EWR). But most all connections are within the airport. And, even if you have to go between CDG and ORY, AF has their own inter-airport bus service.

3) The terminal situation at CDG is not as you want to suggest. T1 is not used by AF, nor is T3. Within T2, AF has concentrated most all of their flights within T2E and T2F, and those terminals are connected airside by automated shuttles or moving walkways. No taxis -- what are you thinking.

4) At one time, prior to the construction of Halls L & M, there was significant remote parking of aircraft. However, those departure halls are located where those remote stand USED to be. Almost all CDG flights from T2E and T2F are through jetways. No stairs and when you have to change levels, there are elevators and escalators.

5) Though Schiphol is under one large roof, it is not a small airport by any sense of the word. And yes, you will find staircases there are well (along with elevators and escalators.

6) While Schiphol is one "terminal", it also encompases EIGHT "piers" (concourses).

You know, it almost seems like you haven't been to CDG in years. If at all.

Just to add to the debate, London Stansted has arrivals and departures all on one level, as originally designed by Norman Foster. The original concept was kerb to aircraft in 50 metres, on a single level. Even now, apart from the two levels at the satellite gates, Stansted is a single level airport.

I checked with Virgin like you suggested and rate was $1120. Still not bad, but curious, where did you find that rate?