Travel Agent Basics

Can anyone explain in simple terms exactly what a travel agent charges?

For example we did look up and decide on a cruise we wanted to take, being we are not all in the same state it was just easier to use the website. Then we each did research with talking to local travel agents to see what kind of deals they could get us. For example some times in the past people have said their travel agent got a slightly lower price or obc or whatever for them. All the travel agents we spoke to said that they had a fee of 20 per person or 100 or more flat rate for the booking. A bunch quoted the same price we saw on the website and a few even have a fee plus quoted a higher price on the same room type. It was very confusing. We did ask if the fees go towards are booking at any time, maybe once we sail or paid in full or something but we were told no every time. Needless to say booking direct with the cruise line was a lot cheaper.

A legitimate travel agency does not charge anything up front for their service as they are paid a commission from the cruise line for placing your booking. Some will charge separate fees from that of the cruise lines for originating, modifying, or canceling a booking made through them, and IMO they should be avoided as this is just extra income for them out of your pocket. Ask for their fee structure up front to be sure.

Some TA's will offer incentives to book through them such as OBC's, specialty restaurant meals on board, etc., which comes from their commission. A large block of booked rooms held by a TA will sometimes allow for a small rate reduction if you book one of them through the TA. But otherwise, the base stateroom rate offered by the cruise line directly is the same as that charged by the TA as most mass market cruise lines do not discount their rates through a TA.

If they offer a reduced rate ask to see the total booked rate as sometimes they will show only the commissionable portion of the stateroom rate as your fare and then add back the difference through a general statement of additional fees and taxes. The net total is what you need to know.

Rates often change over time, either decreasing or increasing, which depending on when you book, will result in a difference of rates. But in general it costs no more to book through a legitimate TA then to book direct. And often based on the incentives offered is less through a TA.

We have booked directly in our years of cruising but have also used the same TA for most of our cruises and have always received the same rates as booking directly with occasional incentives, but always with excellent service.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

A legitimate travel agent should not charge you anything for their service, as they are paid a commission by the cruise line, etc. Some times they will charge a cancellation fee, if you cancel the arrangements they have made, which I think is reasonable as long as it is disclosed up front.

We think the question is a bit more complex then some might think. There are several different types of travel agents, agencies and even cruise agents. There are some excellent travel agents who specialize in certain types of travel (such as African Safaris, trips to India, etc) and some of these agents have such a fantastic reputation that they do demand specific fees (which are always disclosed up front). In fact, a major National travel magazine will sometimes publish an article naming some of these "exclusive agents." There are also some high end credit cards (AMEX Platinum is an example) that provide free "concierge" service (the company makes their money from commissions). These "concierges" can be very knowledgeable and have access to insider information...and exclusive pricing/deals.

But when it comes to normal cruises (we are talking about all the mass market cruise lines and the usual ultra-luxury lines), it does not take a pHd. Some travel agents will get specialized training through the CLIA (a cruise line industry organization) and get certain designations such as MCC (Master Cruise Counselor) which simply means they have extra training and some experience.

But in the past decade we have seen a quantum change....when it comes to booking cruises. There are now quite a few high volume Cruise Agencies (these might book more cruises in a day then most local travel agents in a year) who have become very important to the cruise lines because of their volume. These agencies are not just order takers, but have agents who have a good understanding of the industry and multiple cruise lines. Many of these agencies offer special deals and amenities...and folks that shop around among reputable agencies can expect to save at leave 7 - 10% on bookings..and sometimes a lot more.

And finally you have the ability to book direct with most cruise lines. In theory, the folks that handle these bookings should be experts on their own cruise line...but in practice that is hit or miss. And since these agents represent a single cruise line, they often lack industry knowledge that is only gained by dealing with many different lines. But my major problem with booking direct...is that it will cost us money (sometimes thousands of dollars) because the cruise lines will not compete with the deals offered by cruise agencies....who are authorized to book cruises for their line. We have questioned employees of 2 cruise lines about this issue, and they simply say that they do not want to undercut agencies. Go figure. Another advantage to dealing with high volume cruise agencies is that you can often get some good advice on which cruise line might be the best fit for your needs/wants. If you call Celebrity (for example) you will only get advice on booking with Celebrity. But call X Cruise agency and they might tell you that MSC or Princess has a cruise and itinerary that better fits what you want (assuming you tell them your wants/needs).

I have not gone into the nitty gritty of so-called "outside agents," Big Box stores, and travel agency Consortiums....but these are also out there to further muddy the waters :).

Hank

We've always used a TA. Fare are usually the same as booking direct, but its the perks we look for - cabin upgrades, OBC, dining, etc.

Our upcoming cruise was booked through our warehouse club TA - it was $100 less pp but the $285 OBC they offered was what sealed it for us.

Can anyone explain in simple terms exactly what a travel agent charges?

For example we did look up and decide on a cruise we wanted to take, being we are not all in the same state it was just easier to use the website. Then we each did research with talking to local travel agents to see what kind of deals they could get us. For example some times in the past people have said their travel agent got a slightly lower price or obc or whatever for them. All the travel agents we spoke to said that they had a fee of 20 per person or 100 or more flat rate for the booking. A bunch quoted the same price we saw on the website and a few even have a fee plus quoted a higher price on the same room type. It was very confusing. We did ask if the fees go towards are booking at any time, maybe once we sail or paid in full or something but we were told no every time. Needless to say booking direct with the cruise line was a lot cheaper.

In 21 years of cruising we have never been asked to pay anything to a TA .

Your TA is paid a commission on your cruise fare by the cruise line. I have paid a small fee to a TA before but it was a flat $25 for the booking and was made up for in additional perks offered and the price was lower than direct booking. I certainly wouldn't pay more to use a TA. But many don't charge anything. I wouldn't book with any of the people you talked to.

I've not ever talked to a local TA. I've Only use large online TA's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 21 years of cruising we have never been asked to pay anything to a TA .

On the contrary, they might split the commission and give you some money back, depending on the cruise line. No one should never have to pay a TA. If I did I probably would since mine gives such excellent service she deserves a little something extra. There is no substitute for the service that can be delivered by a good TA.

I'm curious where you're looking for travel agent names that you would come up with multiple agents who charge an up-front fee - something isn't right! There are a few that charge a small cancelation fee in some circumstances, but there should never be anything else for a mainstream cruise line booking. Try clicking on the "Deals" button at the top of the Cruise Critic home page and look at some of the agent ads that appear. Those are usually very large agencies and I would assume (or at least hope!) that Cruise Critic wouldn't be accepting ads from agencies that weren't legitimate. We have used one of the ones that's currently appearing.

Kartgv,

Between the 2 of us, in 2 different states we called or went to visit travel agents in a mall, in a small agency, in a multi agent agency and a friend's travel agent. The friend said she did pay the first couple times she used it then cuz she uses it several times a year they started waiving her processing fee.

Many agencies that impose a booking fee , permit their TA's to waive that fee for their repeat clients or to close a sale .

Just say to them " no fee or no sale " , it works !

(I'm a former TA with a large cruise only agency)

Sent from my iPad using Forums