Remember When Celebrity Was the BEST Cruise Line?

curtdesilets

Well things have changed. Travel and Leisure just published their annual survey. Where does Celebrity Rank? (Rank also means "stinky" BTW)

Viking was #1. Other lines that placed in the large ship category, listed in order of popularity, are Crystal Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Cunard, Oceania Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises, Princess Cruises, Costa Cruises, Celebrity Cruises and Holland America Line.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-cruises-travel-leisure-top-cruise-lines-20170716-story.html

Looks like the S class did better - the list you added would only include the M class based on size.

In the mega-ship category, which rates ships that can carry 2,200 passengers or more, Cunard rose to the top, which Travel + Leisure attributed to the recent $132-million refurbishment of 2,691-passenger Queen Mary 2, known for its transatlantic crossings.

Other lines that placed in this category, listed in order of popularity, are Disney Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America Line, Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruise Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, MSC Cruises and Costa Cruise Line.

Here is the official T&L Survey. Granted, this is for their "smaller" chips, but hey, our favorite Celebrity Ships were always Century and Mercury which topped out at about 1800 passengers. Celebrity ranked 9th but more importantly read the scores. Celebrity was @ a score of 81 vs 96 for Viking.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/large-ocean-cruise-ships#intro

I am still hoping (with a lot of hope) that Celebrity will turn the corner and become #1 again. It was always our favorite Cruise Line! - Curt, OP (Elite for 6 years)

Looks like the S class did better - the list you added would only include the M class based on size. In the mega-ship category, which rates ships that can carry 2,200 passengers or more, Cunard rose to the top, which Travel + Leisure attributed to the recent $132-million refurbishment of 2,691-passenger Queen Mary 2, known for its transatlantic crossings.Other lines that placed in this category, listed in order of popularity, are Disney Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America Line, Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruise Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, MSC Cruises and Costa Cruise Line.

The S-Class ships are better ships at this point than the now rather dated M-class, but QM2 was never considered all that great. They must have turned a corner. It now seems unfortunately that the S-classes are getting a bit boring. Celebrity needs something. Perhaps Edge will be that something.

Here is the official T&L Survey. Granted, this is for their "smaller" chips, but hey, our favorite Celebrity Ships were always Century and Mercury which topped out at about 1800 passengers. Celebrity ranked 9th but more importantly read the scores. Celebrity was @ a score of 81 vs 96 for Viking.

I am still hoping (with a lot of hope) that Celebrity will turn the corner and become #1 again. It was always our favorite Cruise Line! - Curt, OP (Elite for 6 years)

But with the exception of Princess the lines above then cost way more. Should you really be comparing Millennium with Regent? Focus on the S class they did far better.

Looks like the S class did better - the list you added would only include the M class based on size.

Other lines that placed in this category, listed in order of popularity, are Disney Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America Line, Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruise Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, MSC Cruises and Costa Cruise Line.

Well, after our recent experience on Crown Princess, I certainly wouldn't place Princess above Celebrity.

We are going back to Celebrity for our next cruise, but if I could afford it I would be sailing exclusively on Azamara, which in my opinion beats both Princess and Celebrity.

In the Mega category - 2200 passengers and up - Celebrity is in the top 4 with Viking, Disney, Princess...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since the M Class ships were updated they do hold 2,200+ passengers when at capacity. We just got off Summit on Sunday and there were over 2,400 people on board. Probably some of the reason for the low scores is they added more passengers and took away public space, creating more crowding, etc.

Well, after our recent experience on Crown Princess, I certainly wouldn't place Princess above Celebrity.

We are going back to Celebrity for our next cruise, but if I could afford it I would be sailing exclusively on Azamara, which in my opinion beats both Princess and Celebrity.

Would really like to try Azamara. They're definitely on our bucket list.

Right now Celebrity seems to be the perfect fit for us. Really like the Sky Suites.

Viking is an amazing story. They decided to move into the cruise ship industry and keep much of their philosophy from the long standing River Boat Division. There new ships have topped just about everyones rating system. For us, we have so far avoided their cruise line because we still prefer to do our own thing in ports...and with Viking you are paying for excursions within the cruise cost. But the reviews have been so darn good that we have lately been rethinking this issue.

What is amazing is how a new cruise line...has managed to get just about everything right..... while many of the most experienced cruise lines keep working at degrading their product. Color me "puzzled."

Hank

Viking is an amazing story. They decided to move into the cruise ship industry and keep much of their philosophy from the long standing River Boat Division. There new ships have topped just about everyones rating system. For us, we have so far avoided their cruise line because we still prefer to do our own thing in ports...and with Viking you are paying for excursions within the cruise cost. But the reviews have been so darn good that we have lately been rethinking this issue.

What is amazing is how a new cruise line...has managed to get just about everything right..... while many of the most experienced cruise lines keep working at degrading their product. Color me "puzzled."

Hank

Keep in mind that in the beginning Celebrity also did everything right. Then they grew, then they got taken over by another company, and then they got greedy. The rest is history. I hope Viking keeps it's great product - we'll see.

We still like quality food and great service and prefer not to stand in line on our vacations. That's why we've enjoyed smaller ships on Regent, Azamara and Oceania. As far as mass market lines go, Celebrity is our preferred choice, but we've noticed their product has gone down over the years. Our decisions are made by both itinerary and price and the higher end cruise lines have really increased them dramatically.

Popularity includes a lot of factors. Popularity doesn't necessarily equate to best. I'm not saying I disagree at all, I'm just pointing out that there are numerous drivers that will determine what is most popular.
Totally agree. On my last cruise, I was sitting near the pool talking with a few couples and one gentleman said that Celebrity was a 5 star cruise line. I said I didn't think Celebrity had ever been a 5 star cruise line and then when he got upset because I didn't agree with him, I just said I must have been misinformed. Obviously that was his opinion and I would bet he has never been on a 5 star line to make a comparison.

I personally can't wait for Virgin Cruise Line!

Back in the day.... way back to January 2010, we were on Celebrity Millennium 10 day southern Caribbean out of San Juan. The CD was named Artie Anderson and he ran an afternoon program called Guest Glee Club where anybody who wanted to sing came to the lounge where Artie handed out music, sorted us into base, tenor, alto and soprano and ran us through old American Songbook favorites like Oh! Oklahoma, Getting to Know You, Wouldn't it Be Loverly, etc... accompanied by piano. Of the seventeen cruises we've enjoyed over the years, that Glee Club was my highlight.

Just wish Celebrity could revive the Guest Glee Club before our next trip on Summit in January.

We still like quality food and great service and prefer not to stand in line on our vacations. That's why we've enjoyed smaller ships on Regent, Azamara and Oceania..

Unfortunately, not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to book cruises on those premium lines. For us the changes in Celebrity's product hit us harder as we don't have much choice in the matter. Either take it or stay home.

I am with you! I fear that with their focus on profits NOT product or service quality it will be harder to do. Focus on product/service quality and profits will flow.

I too hope they can become #1 again!

Right now even if you want to book cruise/excursion/other onboard amenity and spend money, it is very difficult. Not a good sign.

Since the M Class ships were updated they do hold 2,200+ passengers when at capacity. We just got off Summit on Sunday and there were over 2,400 people on board. Probably some of the reason for the low scores is they added more passengers and took away public space, creating more crowding, etc.

I would agree that would have some impact. I am sure the addition of AQ category was a positive vs not even having that category on M class of ships.

I miss the longer walking path.

I never thought Celebrity was the best, but it was our favorite for our price range for years and years, not any longer. Still good, but one of the pack. I really don't think that the top three or four belong bunched with the others on the list

I think it's like a political poll. You can always find one to support your candidate and knock the other, all depends what you're looking at.

To me it seems Celebrity's competition is Princess, HAL, and Cunard

Whatever Celebrity is doing they are doing it right, best quarter and year ever in its financials and stock price for RCCL at all time high

In the Mega category - 2200 passengers and up - Celebrity is in the top 4 with Viking, Disney, Princess...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity's pricing has gone up these past two years since price bundling, but it is still priced far better than Disney, Viking and Cunard.

Yes, I like Dom Perignon champagne, but would feel guilty when I go to the toilet to loose it since it costs so much.

I think it's like a political poll. You can always find one to support your candidate and knock the other, all depends what you're looking at.

To me it seems Celebrity's competition is Princess, HAL, and Cunard

Whatever Celebrity is doing they are doing it right, best quarter and year ever in its financials and stock price for RCCL at all time high

You have no clue what Celebrity is or isn't contributing to RCL's bottom line