Pre authorisation on debit card

annieuk

I note there is a 1.5% charge for using a credit card to register when embarking. We usually use a credit card when sailing with P&O who do not charge for using a credit card. So we thought we would register a debit card when sailing on Braemar next month. However, then I wondered. Do Fred Olsen put a pre authorisation amount on a debit card? My husband never keeps a lot of money in his current account so this could be a problem. Obviously he would ensure there was enough to pay our account at the end of the cruise. We don't expect this to be a great amount as we have a drinks package that was included when we booked and we have pre paid all our tour excursions. However, it would be interesting to know if the same pre authorisation that is put on a credit card is also put on a debit card. I realise I can just phone FO and ask but I wondered if anyone had had this experience when using a debit card. Thanks for any response.

Hi there

Always use a debit card and never had an issue. The other thing the transaction often does not hit your account for two or three days, ample time to transfer cash int your current account as long as you do it fairly soon after you get home

When we have cruised with Fred on an AI cruise, we always found it difficult to spend any meaningful amount of money so pre booked with our credit card. Like you, we don't leave much money in our current acc either, feels safer :D 1.5% of £100 is only £1.50 after all.

Thanks for the information everyone. If it was up to me I'd just use the credit card. We don't expect to be spending much with the drink package and the tours already paid for. However. my husband hates to think he's paying extra when he doesn't have to! I did say to him last night that he just needs to ensure there's enough money in his current account to cover whatever we do buy. So much easier to use a credit card. As far as I can tell from looking at other lines and certainly on the lines we've been on there aren't many, if any, lines that charge on board for using a credit card to settle the account.

Delighted to hear that these charges are to be abolished by legislation in the near future. I used to run a small business and know that large organisations pay nowhere near 1.5% charge on credit card transactions. Just one more example of FOCL (and others) knowing how to make money from their customers.

Geoff and Sally, I told my husband what you had said about 1.5% only being £1.50 in a £100 spend - which I don't think we're likely to do and that it's obviously much safer using a Credit Card. He's convinced so we'll be registering a Credit Card. Thanks - I could have pointed that out myself but he's more likely to take notice of someone else!!

I recently took out the new Monzo card (to trial on holiday) which is a Mastercard debit card - you load (via app on tablet etc) it from your normal bank current account via a debit card, which is then linked for future use under at your direction.

What I like about it is you set the amount you transfer - it cannot deduct more funds outwith your control, so it can be used as a pre-authorised card without the merchant dictating the amount to your disadvantage.

It also has no fees for ATM currency withdrawals abroad, or goods & services purchased on it - and Mastercard is a slightly better FX rate than Visa.

So, if you have a "debit card from hell" when used at foreign ATMs - link the Monzo card to it, transfer funds in Sterling, then use it to withdraw currency avoiding any fees.

Used it before, during and after our recent cruise to Germany - worked flawlessly and charged every time in Euros, except once when it flagged up the option of GBP (to be avoided) or Euro payment. Well pleased - impressive performance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/monzo-currency-card-why-you-should-get-one/

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Geoff and Sally, I told my husband what you had said about 1.5% only being £1.50 in a £100 spend - which I don't think we're likely to do and that it's obviously much safer using a Credit Card. He's convinced so we'll be registering a Credit Card. Thanks - I could have pointed that out myself but he's more likely to take notice of someone else!!

:D Glad we could help in some way.