Airfare from Houston to San Juan for Cruise in March

Gampy1967

Wife and I are flying from Houston to San Juan for a cruise on the Dawn in an OS for our 20th Anniversary. The only airline that fly's non-stop is United at ~$2700 for first class (2 tickets) and ~$2100 for Coach (comfort section) (can you tell there is no real competition). Another option is to fly on Delta with a stop each way (there is a 1hr layover in ATL on the way there; 2.5hr layover on the way back). Due to Delta Amex points I can get the two Coach (comfort section) tickets for about $1000 total. Have already spent very good money for the OS, would you suggest springing for the direct 1st class United, Coach United, or Delta coach with the layovers? I want this to be a very special anniversary trip but the airfare decision is just killing me for some reason. Thanks.

I'm not a DL flyer so can't advise you on that. I just would usually prefer a nonstop over having to make a connection.

If you purchase E+ on UA, all you get is a few extra inches of legroom. No early boarding, no free bags, no faster security line. For such a short flight, not worth it to me.

F in UA can be nice, especially if you get a good crew. Looks like these flights are on a 737-800, which I like. The price difference between regular Economy and F is a lot of money for this routing on UA.

For a special occasion, if it's worth it to you, go for it.

Another option is purchasing regular E on UA and paying to book seats in row 21 (the second exit row). These seats have more legroom than F.

Best wishes!

I'm not sure how you expect a bunch of strangers to help you with something that's completely subjective.

You're asking a bunch of strangers to try and apply your value system to comparing apples, oranges and kumquats.

If you're entertaining layovers why did you discount DL F, AA Y and AA FC?

Wife and I are flying from Houston to San Juan for a cruise on the Dawn in an OS for our 20th Anniversary. The only airline that fly's non-stop is United at ~$2700 for first class (2 tickets) and ~$2100 for Coach (comfort section) (can you tell there is no real competition). Another option is to fly on Delta with a stop each way (there is a 1hr layover in ATL on the way there; 2.5hr layover on the way back). Due to Delta Amex points I can get the two Coach (comfort section) tickets for about $1000 total.

Just so you are aware - you are NOT getting the ticket price on DL for $500. (Ticket prices are generally posted as per person, to avoid confusion). You are getting them for $500 cash and the balance in the alternative currency known as "SkyMiles". It doesn't make them "free", as you paid for them - if only in the opportunity cost to earn a different return.

Your SkyMiles are like a currency in a different checking account. I am going to assume you are being suckered in by the cash and points option. Those points are set at a penny each by DL for those kinds of redemptions. Lousy value, when 2% cash is easily available

So, if you need to make a "cost" estimate for your cost/benefit analysis, don't just look at $500 vs $1050. Because that's not a true number.

Finally, I concur with fbgd - no one can evaluate how much first vs coach+ vs coach is worth IN YOUR VALUE SYSTEM. Nor can we know what the worth of non-stop vs connection is to you. We can provide information, you must provide analysis and choice.

I was not clear on the miles plus cash option on Delta. I have enough miles for one free ticket and then would have to pay chas for the 2nd ticket. The cost for the 2nd ticket is approximately $950 (Delta Comfort). I would never use the cash + miles option where you only get approx .10/mile. I was simply asking would most people pay double for a non-stop flights from IAH to SJU and back rather than dealing with layovers each way.

I was simply asking would most people pay double for a non-stop flights from IAH to SJU and back rather than dealing with layovers each way.

But you are NOT paying double. Since the DL cost is $950 per ticket and the UA cost is $1050, the effective differential is $100 for the non-stop. But if you want to think of the "free ticket" as being "zero cost", nothing is going to change your view of the math.

You are merely taking the one DL ticket out of your "SkyMiles" bank account and the other out of your "US Dollars" bank account. The ticket price is still $950, no matter how much comes out of the USD account.

So...your real comparison numbers are: $950 for DL in comfort+, $1050 for UA nonstop in E+, and $1350 for UA nonstop in F. Over to you for cost/benefit analysis and decision.

But you are NOT paying double. Since the DL cost is $950 per ticket and the UA cost is $1050, the effective differential is $100 for the non-stop. But if you want to think of the "free ticket" as being "zero cost", nothing is going to change your view of the math.

You are merely taking the one DL ticket out of your "SkyMiles" bank account and the other out of your "US Dollars" bank account. The ticket price is still $950, no matter how much comes out of the USD account.

So...your real comparison numbers are: $950 for DL in comfort+, $1050 for UA nonstop in E+, and $1350 for UA nonstop in F. Over to you for cost/benefit analysis and decision.

Total cash cost for airline tickets to me for the trip is : on Delta is ~$950 (yes the points for the free ticket have a cost but what else am I going to use the miles/points for - magazines?) vs. total cash cost of 2100 UA nonstop in E+ and 2700 for UA nonstop in F. Clearly on a per-ticket price they are reasonably the same (that is why I have eliminated AA and others where points for a free ticket is not an option). So in total I would be paying out of pocket twice the amount for a nonstop vs. one with a layover since purchasing only one ticket is not an option.

I was simply asking would most people pay double for a non-stop flights from IAH to SJU and back rather than dealing with layovers each way.

Well most people would rather pay the very cheapest fare with the least number of stops and fly economy, but again that doesn't help you because it's what YOU value.

Generally speaking non-stops are more desirable but here's a contrarian view..due to frequent flyer elite status/premium cabin/AMEX I don't really have a problem with layovers, I can just head over to a lounge and relax, grab a bite and a drink etc. at no cost. My FF scheme rewards me based on the number of flights I take so to me a layover is actually far more enticing from a pure FF standpoint than a non-stop flight.

Can't speak for "most" people, but I don't get all hung up on having to have nonstop flights. And even for a special trip, I wouldn't worry too much about first class for such a relatively short flight. Domestic coach isn't THAT special. For this, I'd be flying coach with a connection, and using the saved money to make the actual destination experience a little more special. But that's just me.

Special flights (as in memorable) are Singapore Suites, or the Etihad Residence or Apartments. Maybe an Emirates F suite. Not a UA 737. Temper your enthusiasm, lest the resultant disappointment clouds the rest of your trip.

Maybe this won't help but it's what worked for us for our special anniversary flight (rt) from LAX- SJU for our cruise.

Even though I'm usually a DL flyer it worked out cheaper for us to fly AA first class (nice) for $1200pp with outbound stops in DFW and return stop in MIA and great flight times...doesn't make any difference if there are connecting flights (one) if the price is right ..and this price was fine for us. Best of luck with what works out for you.

I give up.
LOL. I am with you! Points are not free and definitely have a value. Sometimes you have to ask if it is worth using points for a particular trip. For example, I was trying to book tickets on UAL for spring break last year IAH-LAX and coach was 50K (standard awards) round trip, but paid first class was $600ish and $450ish for coach. We opted for first as this was the best value when you consider having to pay for luggage and/or economy pls and decided to save the miles for a trip where they would get more bang for the point.