US Passport Renewal Timing Feedback

RMLincoln

I just received my renewed US passport book yesterday. I sent it in June 28 to Philadelphia via US priority mail with tracking; I sent it directly myself, I did not use an agency. It took only 3 weeks! No expedited service. It was sent to me via USPS Priority Mail.

I ordered a Passport Card for the first time but that has not arrived yet. The information that came with my passport book said that the Passport Card and my old passport (sent in as proof of citizenship) are each coming separately so I expect them in the next few days. I do want the old passport book back because it has my Brazilian Visa in it, still good for about 5 years, just in case we find an itinerary that includes Brazil again.

Just sharing information as I know sometimes this can be an anxious process for people with timing concerns. m--

I got mine back about two weeks ago and it took about that long for me to get it too. Not expedited either. I got my expired passport back last week. I believe they automatically return the old ones.

I do want the old passport book back because it has my Brazilian Visa in it, still good for about 5 years, just in case we find an itinerary that includes Brazil again.
Our old passports came back perforated from front to back with the word VOID. That might make any visas invalid.

You don't want me to get going on my rant about Brazilian Visas....and trying to deal with their Washington DC Consul. But the last time we checked, your Visa would still be valid. You would need to carry both your valid Passport and your void Passport (with the Visa) and they used to honor that old Visa (if it has not yet expired). But, we are talking about Brazil which means the policy will depend on which day of the week, who looks at your Passport, the phases of the moon, etc.

Having been to Brazil too often....my feeling now is they can take their crazy Visa policies (which seem to change every hour) and shove em.

I could tell you a story about how the Brazilian authorities once seized all the precious gems from our cruise ship. They claimed that the staff had not properly filled out all the appropriate forms...so they simply took the gems worth big bucks. Not sure if they were ever returned,,,,but the cruise line probably didn't care because the jewelers are all franchises.

Hank

...... I could tell you a story about how the Brazilian authorities once seized all the precious gems from our cruise ship. They claimed that the staff had not properly filled out all the appropriate forms...so they simply took the gems worth big bucks. Not sure if they were ever returned,,,,but the cruise line probably didn't care because the jewelers are all franchises.

Hank

That is wild! But I believe it! I have no desire to go back to Brazil, but it's possible we could wind up on a cruise that stops there, unlikely but possible. We've stopped at Rio, Recife, Salvador and Fontelaza... all too hot and crowded for me but lots of people enjoyed it. Not sure I'd get off the ship there again, but I'd at least want to have my docs in order. Now, Uruguay, that's a place I'd like to go back to... but that's far, far off thread! m--

That was my thought, as well. Aren't the visas intended for a specific passport?

Nope - I have used my Brazilian visa in an expired passport twice with no issue

btw - if you are in a hurry, I did an expedited passport renewal and it was 5 days (mailed on Monday and received on Friday). The post office person did tell me that if you use a credit card, they will not process until the card has cleared so a money order = a bit faster service.

My new card and old passport came about 3 days later.

That was my thought, as well. Aren't the visas intended for a specific passport?

It depends on the Visa. As we mentioned, Brazil, in the past, has accepted valid Visas in expired Passports (along with your valid Passports). Some other countries (we have heard China mentioned) do not.

Hank

I renewed mine myself this Spring, took 2 weeks to return to me! I also got the Passport Card. Have used it for ID while flying, no issues. Live in Washington, one of the stars that doesn't comply with the proper Drivers liscense requirements, so think I'm now covered.

I renewed mine myself this Spring, took 2 weeks to return to me! I also got the Passport Card. Have used it for ID while flying, no issues. Live in Washington, one of the stars that doesn't comply with the proper Drivers liscense requirements, so think I'm now covered.

This will be my first experience with the passport card; our state also does not comply with the license requirement although I think in a few years they will.... maybe. I also plan to carry it ashore as my ID to get back on the ship, instead of my state license which I would be more of a nuisance to replace.

I am assuming that, if I lose the passport card, they don't void my passport book... anyone know for sure? Thanks, m--

OK, I got my Passport Card, and surprise, surprise! It says in big bold print, "NOT VALID FOR AIR TRAVEL"! Huh? What did I miss? :confused:m--

I sent in my passport renewal in late March, took four weeks for the new one to arrive. Was sweating because I did not want to pay for expediting it and was cutting it close for my cruise. My expired passport actually arrived first. My friend renewed hers end of last year and she received it back in ten calendar days, and I have seen several reports on other CC threads that two weeks has been a pretty common time frame in recent months. Just don't count on it.

It depends on the Visa. As we mentioned, Some other countries (we have heard China mentioned) do not.

Hank

Wrong. The paperwork with the China passport I received last year specifically provided it is usable from an expired passport so long as it is accompanied by a current passport.

I mailed my renewal on 6/26 and received my new passport book and the old one (in a separate envelope) on 7/10, exactly two weeks later (and that included the July 4th holiday). I was amazed. Certainly didn't expect that sort of turnaround!

OK, I got my Passport Card, and surprise, surprise! It says in big bold print, "NOT VALID FOR AIR TRAVEL"! Huh? What did I miss? :confused:m--

So from what I understand now (again!) the Passport Card letter should say is, Not Valid for INTERNATIONAL Air Travel! It will be good for me for domestic air travel as an ID for TSA (instead of my NM driver's license), as well as a Gov't ID at ports. And that's why I got it, I was just thrown by the wording.

Still haven't got my old passport book back, maybe this week. m--

So from what I understand now (again!) the Passport Card letter should say is, Not Valid for INTERNATIONAL Air Travel! It will be good for me for domestic air travel as an ID for TSA (instead of my NM driver's license), as well as a Gov't ID at ports. And that's why I got it, I was just thrown by the wording.

Still haven't got my old passport book back, maybe this week. m--

You are correct - the card can be used for domestic air travel in addition to Canada/Mexico/Caribbean/Bermuda land and seaport entry. I'm quite sure your old passport will arrive soon, ours usually showed up in the mail about 7-10 days after our new passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

This will be my first experience with the passport card; our state also does not comply with the license requirement although I think in a few years they will.... maybe. I also plan to carry it ashore as my ID to get back on the ship, instead of my state license which I would be more of a nuisance to replace.

I am assuming that, if I lose the passport card, they don't void my passport book... anyone know for sure? Thanks, m--

No, they do not void your passport as these 2 documents have separate numbers - asked once why and that was the reason. Also use this as my pier ID and have never had an issue - nor worry about losing my drivers license so I can drive when I get home.