International Date Line Question (re: Volendam trans-pacific cruise)

jimdee3636

I'm toying with the idea of taking the Volendam trans-pacific cruise from Vancouver to Yokohama on September 27, 2017. It's advertised as a 15 day cruise. But because the ship crosses the International Date Line, will I lose a day? In other words, would it be a full 15 day cruise or a 14 day cruise with a "phantom" day? The whole International Date Line business drives me nuts, so any explanation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It's 15 days. Day 9 is Oct 6, day 10 is Oct 8, but you don't "lose" a day. And when you fly home on Oct 13 you arrive earlier on Oct 13 than the time you left Japan. :)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=O7N15F&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=V762&selectedMeta=Ocean-view&shipId=VO

Edited by catl331

Exactly as the other have explained it. While you lose a day on the cruise it has already been computed in the days of the cruise so no, you don't lose any cruise days :)

Thanks for the explanations. The concept is---for me, anyway---still a bit hard to grasp, but at least I know I wouldn't be getting cheated out of a cruise day.

We did two International Date Lines on our cruise.

It can throw you off for sure :)

Our next cruise we cross the international date line twice once going west & return going east. That should be really confusing.

Allan

We did that on our South Pacific cruise out of San Diego this past spring. What was fun was when we crossed going east it was on my birthday and I actually had a second birthday the next day. Two cakes, one in Pinnacle Grill and one in the dining room the second night! Talk about spoiled...:)

I guess it kind of weird, and if you are flying home you might just land in the US before you leave.:cool:

pretty hard to fly from the International Date Line on a cruise. You are usually in the middle of the ocean ;):')

pretty hard to fly from the International Date Line on a cruise. You are usually in the middle of the ocean ;):')

The OP's cruise ends in Japan. A flight from Tokyo leaving at 3 p.m. arrives at LAX at approx 9 a.m. the same calendar day.:eek:

There is no October 7, but there are 15 nights aboard:

Wednesday, September 27 Vancouver, BC, Canada 4:00pm

Thursday, September 28 At Sea

Friday, September 29 Ketchikan, AK 8:00am 3:00pm

Saturday, September 30 Juneau, AK 10:00am 11:00pm

Sunday, October 1 Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising) 7:00am 4:00pm

Monday, October 2 At Sea

Tuesday, October 3 At Sea

Wednesday, October 4 Dutch Harbor, AK 8:00am 3:00pm

Thursday, October 5 At Sea

Friday, October 6 Cross International Dateline (Cruising)

Sunday, October 8 At Sea

Monday, October 9 At Sea

Tuesday, October 10 Kushiro, Japan 8:00am 5:00pm

Wednesday, October 11 Hakodate, Japan 8:00am 5:00pm

Thursday, October 12 At Sea

Friday, October 13 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 7:00am 8:00pm

The OP's cruise ends in Japan. A flight from Tokyo leaving at 3 p.m. arrives at LAX at approx 9 a.m. the same calendar day.:eek:
And if you could take off from Tokyo before 6 a.m. you could land in LAX on the previous calendar day! Edited by catl331

I'm toying with the idea of taking the Volendam trans-pacific cruise from Vancouver to Yokohama on September 27, 2017. It's advertised as a 15 day cruise. But because the ship crosses the International Date Line, will I lose a day? In other words, would it be a full 15 day cruise or a 14 day cruise with a "phantom" day? The whole International Date Line business drives me nuts, so any explanation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here's the actual itinerary with all 15 days.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=O7N15F&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=V762&selectedMeta=Ocean-view&shipId=VO