What do people wear to dinner?

Lookingforfacts

Last post in the closed thread is months old.

Summit to Bermuda, if it matters.

I know what Celebrity says. I'm not looking to start a discussion/debate on what the dress code should be.

Men Jackets are optional. How many wear a jacket to Evening Chic? Looks like dress jeans are considered appropriate for both evening chic and smart casual. Do most people wear jeans for either? Dockers? Real dress pants? Polo style shirt? Long sleeve button down sport shirt? Short sleeve button down shirt? I think I'll skip a sweater. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference, at least as described by Celebrity.

I'm looking for comments as to what men generally wear for either style. I know I'm allowed to wear a tux, no reason to. I'm sure I can "get away" dressing a lot more casual then allowed.

I never participated in the old dress code debates. JMO, some posters should have just picked a different cruiseline. People who enjoyed wearing a tux, or suit, should have avoided NCL. People what are looking to wear casual attire (being polite) for dining should have avoided Cunard.

Hello, this is just me, and I don't speak for others but I'll give you my opinion.

I'm a fan of quality denim, paired with a blazer ( not an orphan suit jacket, but a real jacket cut shorter ). I feel that if you have a good pair of denim, a great pair of shoes ( where most guys fail miserably in my opinion), a long sleeve shirt ( i usually wear mine out), and said blazer, you will be more turned out than a gentlemen who is in dockers and a polo. I'm 55 and by no means a model, but I hold my own in this outfit. I know there will be folks that will be aghast at wearing denim, but my opinion is that if you own the look, you pull it off. I've seen guys in sloppy khakis, really poor quality shoes and cheap polyester polos, and the consensus is this is much more appropriate than denim. Not in my world :) I also own a good quality tux, a number of premier Italian suits and a few pair of dockers, so i.m not relegated to any particular look, just wear what I like when i feel its warranted.

Edited by grimace95120
spelling

There are a couple thousand people. You will see pretty much everything from tuxes to guys dressed like Urkle. I'm not sure why it matters to you. Wear what you want. I pretty much wear what grimace wears. On non formal nights I wear nice denim or slacks a decent shirt and some sweet shoes;) ( I do not fail in the shoe dept!) if it's formal night I wear a suit or a kilt. I don't really care what anyone else wears.

Smart casual nights dockers, golf shirts, Tommy Bahama shirts for guys. Evening Chic see more dress pants, long sleeve shirts, sport jackets. Suits are common and some tuxes. Ladies IMHO dress one step above.

He has sport coat or dress pants and long sleeve shirt; she has cocktail dress. He has a suit & she may have a floor length dress.

Jeans, a few but then mostly with a jacket. Whatever you are comfortable with that excludes shorts, t-shirts & sandals.

Thers no way to tell you what "most people " do. Depends on the itinerary. Depends on the time of year. Depends on the length of the cruise. Depends on how many families there are.

I did say Summit to Bermuda. That suggests summer.

I understand the dress code offers a lot of latitude. My question, for those of you who notice, what do most of the men seem to wear.

I sail on the Summit every summer to Bermuda. I never see jeans on chic night. In Blu,and based on seeing others around the dinner hour and after, most men wear at least a jacket and collared long sleeve shirt, and many ties. On other nights, almost always casual trousers and collared shirts (button down or polo),

I know what Celebrity says. I'm not looking to start a discussion/debate on what the dress code should be.

. . .

I'm looking for comments as to what men generally wear for either style. I know I'm allowed to wear a tux, no reason to. I'm sure I can "get away" dressing a lot more casual then allowed.

I find that a good source for finding out what people really do is YouTube video reviews of people on specific ships you are interested in. You don't have to pay attention to the reviewer, per se, but in the videos you can glean a lot by looking at the people in the background and how they dress and how that fits in with everyone else.

I sail on the Summit every summer to Bermuda. I never see jeans on chic night. In Blu,and based on seeing others around the dinner hour and after, most men wear at least a jacket and collared long sleeve shirt, and many ties. On other nights, almost always casual trousers and collared shirts (button down or polo),

I wouldn't take jeans on any warm climate cruise however we did Alaska and loads of people wore them, even on evening chic nights.

Have also done Bermuda last few years and agree on the shorts, respectfully disagree though that most men wear jackets. Keep in mind also that on the Bermuda cruise there is a difference in the way people dress in April, May and early June when there are few families. Late June, July and August more informal, less jackets, etc with more families.

My husband wears black jeans or blue jeans every night with a polo style shirt or long sleeve shirt. He looks great and many others are dressed similarly. Jackets are optional and he chooses not to wear one.

I wouldn't take jeans on any warm climate cruise however we did Alaska and loads of people wore them, even on evening chic nights.

Have also done Bermuda last few years and agree on the shorts, respectfully disagree though that most men wear jackets. Keep in mind also that on the Bermuda cruise there is a difference in the way people dress in April, May and early June when there are few families. Late June, July and August more informal, less jackets, etc with more families.

Well...this was my experience and my recollection. Also, the interior of the ship is quite cool. The OP specifically asked about her Bermuda cruise on the Summit. Rarely saw jeans in the dining rooms, and never on chic night. My cruises are always end of August and mostly 45+ adults and older.

On last year's Summit to Bermuda, which was I think right after the new Casual Chic code, THERE WAS NO CODE.

People seemed to wear jeans, slacks, dresses, shirts with collars, shirt and tie, suits and even a tux or two. Amazing to see so many men wearing shorts, regular wrangler style blue jeans and some wore flip flops to dinner even on the new Casual Chic nights. Me. a collared shirt and docker type slacks.

bosco

I was on Summit to Bermuda last May, and I did see some jeans in the MDR, a few jackets, but mostly lighter weight slacks, collared shirts of all kinds, polo shirts, and maybe one or two tuxes on the Evening Chic and Smart Casual Nights(no tuxes for smart casual ;) ). No shorts, flip flops or tank tops at all during my seating(traditional late)that I can remember. While some may not take denim to a warm climate, I do have at least one pair packed because I find the ship to be on the cold side and feel comfortable wearing my lighter weight and white denim jeans in Bermuda while on the ship(off the ship in port, that's a different story it's too hot for that even in May!). That and I found those jeans to be very welcome when I got back home to NJ and the temps were in the low to mid 50s(it ranged from the mid 70's to low 80s on the island) while we disembarked! Your description of the jeans, collared shirt(untucked), jacket(extremely optional, but if you have a linen one, I would take it)and great shoes(I agree, great quality shoes makes every outfit look better!)you will be good for both Smart Casual and Chic Nights.

On last year's Summit to Bermuda, which was I think right after the new Casual Chic code, THERE WAS NO CODE.

People seemed to wear jeans, slacks, dresses, shirts with collars, shirt and tie, suits and even a tux or two. Amazing to see so many men wearing shorts, regular wrangler style blue jeans and some wore flip flops to dinner even on the new Casual Chic nights. Me. a collared shirt and docker type slacks.

bosco

sigh....this is incorrect. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the dining rooms.

Men Jackets are optional. How many wear a jacket to Evening Chic? Looks like dress jeans are considered appropriate for both evening chic and smart casual. Do most people wear jeans for either? Dockers? Real dress pants? Polo style shirt? Long sleeve button down sport shirt? Short sleeve button down shirt? I think I'll skip a sweater. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference, at least as described by Celebrity.

I never participated in the old dress code debates. JMO, some posters should have just picked a different cruiseline. People who enjoyed wearing a tux, or suit, should have avoided NCL. People what are looking to wear casual attire (being polite) for dining should have avoided Cunard.

My dh and I enjoy dressing for dinner. He enjoys wearing dinner jackets on chic nights and I wear cocktail attire. Other evenings we dress for dinner but not in cocktail attire. So much debate over what people wear. I believe you should be comfortable, clean and wear what you feel comfortable in . We enjoy dressing and do so at home when dining with friends also.

sigh....this is incorrect. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the dining rooms.

They may not be allowed but they were worn by several men and women dining on the second floor who wore either flip flops or sneakers with no socks and cargo style shorts repeatedly. I really do not care but tell me what is the big difference between a rubber flip flop and a bejeweled leather thong sandal worn by a woman in shorts? I don't care one bit but "not allowed" means "not recommended" to most people and obviously to the MDR staff at the door.

The only reason we even took note of what people were wearing was because the new Casual Chic had just been put in place and we were a little more curious to see what Casual Chic was..

bosco

just as a ps, my son is a foot Dr and flip flops are very bad for your feet. They can cause plantar fasciitis a painful foot condition. Healthy to wear good sneakers or shoes with small heels. In addition those flip flops can cause falls. But since most people don't listen, he will continue to have a flourishing medical practice!

I saw a woman slip into Blu on EC night wearing blue stretch shorts and a t-shirt. Equinox, July 2 sailing. It happens, and there's a judgement call by staff in each situation. In this particular situation, her family was seated so promptly that I don't even think her shorts were noticed. They see your faces over the desk, recognize you, and walk you to your usual table. They were at a 6-top near the entrance and she didn't really have to pass by any other diners. It was not a big deal at all.

DH will wear polo shirts and slacks on casual night, chic night dress shirt and slacks. We haven't cruised for a while, he used to wear a jacket and tie on "formal" night back in the day. It's kind of sad to see more and more cruise lines moving away from formal night.

DH will wear polo shirts and slacks on casual night, chic night dress shirt and slacks. We haven't cruised for a while, he used to wear a jacket and tie on "formal" night back in the day. It's kind of sad to see more and more cruise lines moving away from formal night.

Doesn't mean that you cannot dress formal- we do and so do many others. Wear what you enjoy wearing. While the cruise lines now have less formal nights, doesn't mean that people do not still dress.

Enjoy.

To get this thread back to the original question which is what is commonly worn in the evening, here is my observation. On Elegant Chic nights on most cruises I have been on lately (six in the past year) I would say at least half of the men wore jackets. A handful wore suits or tuxedos. The remainder wore dress or khaki slacks with a long sleeved button shirt or a polo/golf shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt. Very few jeans on those nights. On the other nights, most men wore khaki slacks with a polo/golf shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt. There were some jeans but not a whole lot. In the past couple of years I have seen a strong trending towards more casual clothing. Even see shorts in the MDR now and then but it depends on the Maître d' and how strict they are about the dress codes.