Advantages to buying flights from Celebrity?

Csardas

We're looking at a cruise next July and the price for flights from Celebrity is the same as purchasing them ourselves. If we don't buy the very expensive transfers as well, do we get any protection from Celebrity if the flight is late/cancelled/changed?

Thanks very much for your response.

I should have stated that I am in the UK and subject to our booking conditions. Searching the UK site, I cannot find an equivalent statement re flights at all.I'll keep looking and also hope that some UK cruisers will have some advice.

Thanks very much for your response.

I should have stated that I am in the UK and subject to our booking conditions. Searching the UK site, I cannot find an equivalent statement re flights at all.I'll keep looking and also hope that some UK cruisers will have some advice.

Any posters that respond to your enquiry that are not in the UK will have comments/points/recommendations that DO NOT apply to you.

We've booked flights with X on 2 occasions (look at my signature to see how many times we've cruised). Once because it was our first cruise and we knew no better and on the second occasion because I couldn't find anything cheaper. We travel as a family and usually the price difference is high between what I can book independently and what X charges.

The system has changed over the years for booking fly cruises, but ensure it is exactly what you want. Others will tell you that X guarantee that you will reach the ship on their package. I was on a cruise once where there was a hurricane and those who had booked the ship's flights had to stay on after our cruise and travel back up to Canada from NY, pay for the privilege, and then reclaim the money back from their insurance company. So it's not always as straight forward as some make out.

Price up both sides of the pond and then decide which suits your needs better. Just remember if you travel independently, arrive at your destination at least one day in advance.

The main advantage of buying the flight directly with Celebrity is that you don't have to pay for the flight upfront (in case that flight price changes) you'll have until next year May or June till you need to make the final payment. I was under the impression that you are protected if there was an issue with the flights!! I would never include transfer as well, done that once & it was a pain in the butt.

The main advantage of buying the flight directly with Celebrity is that you don't have to pay for the flight upfront (in case that flight price changes) you'll have until next year May or June till you need to make the final payment. I was under the impression that you are protected if there was an issue with the flights!! I would never include transfer as well, done that once & it was a pain in the butt.

I booked my air last year to South America through Celebrity. I had done my research and found first class air for a few hundred dollars more than coach. It was on Aeromexico so was a bit concerned. Called choice air, told them the flights I wanted, they were able to get the same price I had found. I booked thru them so we would be assured if I had any difficulties with the airline they could intervene. We DID have to pay UPFRONT, for the flights even though we were 11 months from sailing.. I did BUY INSURANCE. By the way, the flights were absolutely fantastic..

When booking flights with Choice Air you have to pay for them when you book, just as if you had booked direct with the airline.

If you are booking a Cruise Package that includes items such as cruise, air, transfers, pre-cruise hotel then all the costs are bundled and you pay in full at final payment.

In the case of flight delay or cancellation Choice Air will try and get you on another flight to reach your destination. If there are no flights with seats available, airport shut due to weather, etc then there is nothing Choice Air can do and you could miss your ships departure.

I booked my air last year to South America through Celebrity. I had done my research and found first class air for a few hundred dollars more than coach. It was on Aeromexico so was a bit concerned. Called choice air, told them the flights I wanted, they were able to get the same price I had found. I booked thru them so we would be assured if I had any difficulties with the airline they could intervene. We DID have to pay UPFRONT, for the flights even though we were 11 months from sailing.. I did BUY INSURANCE. By the way, the flights were absolutely fantastic..

When booking flights with Choice Air you have to pay for them when you book, just as if you had booked direct with the airline.

If you are booking a Cruise Package that includes items such as cruise, air, transfers, pre-cruise hotel then all the costs are bundled and you pay in full at final payment.

In the case of flight delay or cancellation Choice Air will try and get you on another flight to reach your destination. If there are no flights with seats available, airport shut due to weather, etc then there is nothing Choice Air can do and you could miss your ships departure.

As I stated above to the OP, who is based in the U.K., it is a totally different system over here so all replies from anywhere else in the world are not relevant to their circumstances.

As I stated above to the OP, who is based in the U.K., it is a totally different system over here so all replies from anywhere else in the world are not relevant to their circumstances.

The OP indictated that they had not yet booked the cruise. Many in the UK choose to book with a US travel agent so they have the flexibility regarding deposits and changes to a booking.

IMHO learning how things are done in different countries is not a bad thing but I will consider my hand slapped.

The OP indictated that they had not yet booked the cruise. Many in the UK choose to book with a US travel agent so they have the flexibility regarding deposits and changes to a booking.

IMHO learning how things are done in different countries is not a bad thing but I will consider my hand slapped.

I agree, I'd just hate for them to get all excited about all the flexibility and then find out it doesn't apply to their UK booking ;). Years ago, there were not so many cruisers posting on CC from anywhere else but the US/Canada, now it's becoming more international as cruising becomes more popular, but the information for reservations can differ so much between those countries. Just wanted to make it clear to the OP ;).

Hope the hand isn't stinging too much :* lol?