RCL cruise - Belize and Honduras

kd5fto

• 1 month later...

We just reserved Little French Key in Roatan, Honduras for our cruise this coming October. From what I can see, there are boardwalks all over the small, private island. We've been in touch with the owners of the resort, and they have assured me that they are completely accessible and their taxi and ender operators will have no trouble helping with my wheelchair. Please let me know if you want me to fill you in on my experience when I get back!

Belize is a tender port. If the ship uses the city's tenders, you have a chance of getting ashore. The city does have a roll-on tender.

The cruise lines do not encourage people with wheelchairs or scooters to go on the tenders for safety reasons. Actually, they normally do not allow us on the tenders. Some of Royal Caribbean ships have an accessible route to the tenders. Do a little search on their website using the ship's name and “accessible tender”.

As far as accessibility in Roatan, there are a few tour companies that will assist. Do a little search for tours in Roatan and write to them to find out what accommodations they will offer. I do not remember the name of the company we used, but they were very helpful. They actually lifted both our scooters in and out of the vehicle at every stop. If you do contact someone there, be sure to let them know you will be on a Royal Caribbean ship. There are two separate terminals.

Roatan does have a Cameo factory that is worth a stop.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 4 months later...

I do not know if they only have one or more roll-on tenders. However, there are two of us traveling together on scooters and we did not have any issues getting from or back to the ship. Unless the ship is full of mobile devices, you should not experience any unreasonable delays. I'd suggest that you do not wait for the last tender. We normally get back to the ship at least an hour before departure. Actually, I cannot see any reason for multiple roll on tenders. One should be adequate.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

However, there are two of us traveling together on scooters and we did not have any issues getting from or back to the ship.

Sounds like a big improvement on what was written about Belize in the past. We'll get to check it out in about a week.

• 3 months later...
Sounds like a big improvement on what was written about Belize in the past. We'll get to check it out in about a week.

Just wondering, how was your trip. Where you able to tender, and if so, what did you do while there?

Thanks!