Using iPhone in asia

triona

Get full clarity from your cell phone provider before leaving home on their roaming charges for the countries you're visiting (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong). If those are too expensive for your liking, switch off roaming on your device to prevent any charges. In all scenarios, use wifi wherever possible.

Floris

Edited by florisdekort

Hi

I am with EE and have great phone/text access rate in the Far East but it all depends on whether you are an EE customer or a legacy T Mobile or Orange customer. Follow the link here

http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming

The good news with EE you cannot run up data roaming charges, if you do not have an international data bundle added onto your package it will not give you data access, a little pop up comes onto your screen as soon as you access data in that case directing you to buy a bundle.

The good news with EE you cannot run up data roaming charges, if you do not have an international data bundle added onto your package it will not give you data access, a little pop up comes onto your screen as soon as you access data in that case directing you to buy a bundle.

An excellent idea which Vodofone should copy.

My roaming was turned off, but not my Mobile Data.

Emails came in over night between Cherbourg and St Peter Port ( Guernsey) so I assumed incorrectly we were in U.K. waters, so posted pictures using 4G. ( the ships Wi-fi which I had tried to use was very unreliable, but the messages however were sent overnight)

I was charged £35, before Vodofone gave me the notice Ann is talking about.

When we returned home I rang and asked why this happened when ' roaming ' was turned off ( it's never happened before) They couldn't answer me, except to say turn your phone off. I was told they would reduce the charge by 50%, but when the bill came, the full extra charge ( £35) was taken away.

Edited by upwarduk

Not fully answering the OP's question because this will only do for Hong Kong, but through talking to crew I have found that if you are UK based then 3 mobile has what I've found to be the best deal for mobile data. I bought SIM only pay as you go and for £20 it will last you a month and give you 12GB of data in various countries in Europe and other worldwide destinations. The list has been expanding of late to include Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia and more comprehensive coverage for European destinations. Link to countries and service below:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Not fully answering the OP's question because this will only do for Hong Kong, but through talking to crew I have found that if you are UK based then 3 mobile has what I've found to be the best deal for mobile data. I bought SIM only pay as you go and for £20 it will last you a month and give you 12GB of data in various countries in Europe and other worldwide destinations. The list has been expanding of late to include Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia and more comprehensive coverage for European destinations. Link to countries and service below:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Just to add a bit more, you can chose between a £10, £20 or £25 PAYG, depending on the amount of data you require. They also give between 300 and 500 minutes of calls to any UK phone number plus text messaging. The £25 bundle gives unlimited internet. I have a spare phone with an EE PAYG. I have registered the number and just buy a monthly bundle before I go away.

It's brilliant.

Also, if anyone from the UK calls you while in any of the 42 countries mentioned it only costs them the price of a local call and costs you nothing. Being mean and wanting to save my outgoing minutes, I phone my daughters and ask them to ring me back!!!

It does of course mean another telephone number but if you are clever you can divert calls from one phone to the other. I'm not so clever so leave I a message on my 'normal' phone giving the other phone number.

Edited by Grandma Gilly

Thank you all for your help.. I will definitely be trying the wi fi . I have got 230 mins I think it is on the ship , so I'll be use in that as well for Internet. Once again thanks . Triona

Just remember you can use a lot of data on the internet. my bill only went up $100 on the last cruise since I don't use much.

Just remember you can use a lot of data on the internet. my bill only went up $100 on the last cruise since I don't use much.

Triona is with EE this would not happen as they have to warn her as soon as she is exceeding the bundle she has purchased and will not allow her to download more. A great feature most US carriers do not offer!