Okay, How We Gonna Work This??

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:05 AM.
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by cheapskate9999
third time is the charm??? or so they say. Just finished booking a home in solana (davenport) for the last week in july for the whole damn family to visit disney. 8 adults and 2 kids in a 5 bed 3 bath house for a week with the added bonus of long disney days (4 of them) can't possibly be the recipe for something to go wrong can it ??

Youngest dd thinks that she needs a break in the midst of her 2 year teacher's college course so when she gets her mind made up she is an unstoppable force similar to her mother . found this house on homeaway for like 150 a night with a pool and hot tub and games room on top of the aforementioned bedrooms and baths. driving down from here in 2 or 3 vehicles (they want to drive straight through and THAT isn't going to happen). Of course mom and dad got conned into paying for the rent on the house and last week disney tickets were at par for canadians which is a 40% savings. I think that the party line from the 3 girls was something to the effect of "dad I know you like cruises but this will be fun to have the whole family together and cheaper than a cruise and more fun." We will see after we live the experience if that actually holds true. I remember "fondly" those disney days when everyone leaves the park totally exhausted from trying to cram the full disney experience down their throats in just one day per park. Don't get me wrong I love disneyworld but it isn't always the happiest place on earth.
gLUTTON fOR pUNISHMENT? Cheap, you're a braver man than me! And I STILL keep forgetting that stupid caps key!

Trying to think happier thoughts (my lawn is not one of them). you said handy around the house - I'm definitely not. I used to have a beautiful front lawn - friends would tell me how nice it was. these days its all moss and weeds, We have two giant maple trees in front of house (are Maple trees a Canadian curse sent to us from the North?). When we moved in 32 years ago they were small. the City plants them - even though its our property the City controls what's between the sidewalk and street. Our house and lawn face North, and the trees prevent the sun from reaching the lawn.

Coming Up: M&M threads.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 2/04; Serenade OTS 2/05; Voyager OTS 2/06; Sovereign OTS 7/07; Liberty OTS 5/08; Grandeur OTS 2/09; Enchantment OTS 6/2010; Celebrity Eclipse 1/2011; Crown Princess 1/2012 Disney Dream 12/2012;
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Disney wonder October 2013;Liberty of the Seas 1/2014
Enchantment OTS May, 2014... Where's Barb?
October 2014 Majesty OTS;
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 1/2015
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - JUNE 2015
Adventure of the Seas - October 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - January 2016
Carnival Ecstaasy - August 2016
Oasis of the Seas - September 2016
Anthem of the Seas - October 2017
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Trying to reach 5,000 posts is like trying to climb Mt Everest, just not as cold. My two M&M threads (Anthem and Disney) have little or no action. I started the Disney one 6 weeks ago, have one response (Dis people tend to ignore CC). On Anthem, I didn't post for 2 weeks; neither did anyone else. Anthem has picked up a bit, but the few posters are on maybe once every 2 weeks - no windbags like me. Thankfully this group (for better or worse - and Sandy was by far the worse in a long time ) gives me some hope of reaching the Summit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 2/04; Serenade OTS 2/05; Voyager OTS 2/06; Sovereign OTS 7/07; Liberty OTS 5/08; Grandeur OTS 2/09; Enchantment OTS 6/2010; Celebrity Eclipse 1/2011; Crown Princess 1/2012 Disney Dream 12/2012;
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
One of our parishioner's dads died earlier this week; I helped with his services (he belonged to a church we have in Syracuse). He was 96. Our 86 yr old Choir Director (in basically perfect health about 8 months ago) may possibly pass away today with heart problems; I'm on my way to visit him shortly. They, at least, both had good, long, lives, unlike Sandy. We never know for sure what life will throw at us - we just try to do our best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
1,102 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
It is funny....i don't know whether this group is an anomaly or the others I have belonged to are... The last cruise there was a fair bit of interest (in comparison to your disney and anthem threads) but all cruise related. Once the cruise was over not a single post not even I enjoyed meeting you all and look forward to doing so again. What we had maybe and truly was lightning in a bottle.

Maple trees are definitely a canadian curse. They abound everywhere. Hey we have to send you guys the maple trees as your president currently has a hard on for canadian softwood and we all know that maple is a hardwood. (sorry I couldn't resist ). Having said that they grow easily and quickly and provide a fair bit of shade from those blistering hot summer days. As for the city planting them I assume just like here that the last 15 feet of "your property" is actually deeded to the city as area for services to run through as well as a buffer in case they need to widen roadways etc. I actually got a parking ticket for parking sideways on my own driveway between the sidewalk and the roadway..let me tell you that was the worst ticket the commissionaires (who do the parking enforcement) ever wrote. I dogged this guy for a month making him write out tickets for similarly parked vehicles and ones left on the street overnight, including his own vehicle. I think he steered clear of ever ticketing me again .

As an aside exactly how long is a good long life?? When I was in my teens people my current age would have been deemed to have lived a good long life. Now that I am in my 60s 85 doesn't seem that old. It may be as much what you do with your life as how long you have lived. CG's cousin sandy from what I could piece together in the write up packed a whole lot of living into her short life.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ncl 7 day cruise norwegian majesty april 2001
9 day enchantment of the seas cruise june 2010
11 day norwegian dawn nov 2011
Norwegian epic nov 2014
Bartlett,TN,USA
11,803 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
John and I just returned home from Chattanooga. The service was very nice yesterday....Laurel and Thomas both spoke of the best memories with Sandy. A friend and the pastor spoke, and another friend sang Amazing Grace. Laurel and Thomas both had references of beaches in their speeches, and at the end there was a Jimmy Buffett song played! It was nice visiting with all my other cousins and meeting the "new boyfriends" of a few! We also met many of Sandy's friends. She was very respected and loved. Graduation at the high school where she taught was Friday night. There was a video and story on the local news showing parts of the graduation. They had placed a beautiful framed photo of Sandy, a floral wreath and big bow on the chair where Sandy would have sat. Each senior was given a white carnation to place in a huge vase in Sandy's honor. There were three scholarships awarded in her name. Several students spoke to the news media of their love for her.

It's still hard to believe, and seems like a never ending night mare.

While we were gone, there was a powerful storm in our area. Our power was out about 11 hours, and power is still out at our other house(Mom's old house). The report was winds were like an F1 tornado. Many trees uprooted, many branches snapped, and power lines down.

Thank you to all veterans today for Memorial Day and a special prayer for all who perished serving our nation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Places I have been........

http://www.travbuddy.com/maps/6681190

Cruises: 100 Total

Carnival - 5 cruises (33 pts, Gold in VIFP Club)

Celebrity - 20 cruises (762 pts, Elite Plus in Captain's Club)

Holland - 2 cruises

Norwegian - 2 cruises

Princess - 1 cruise

Royal Caribbean - 70 cruises (725 points, Pinnacle Club in Crown and Anchor)
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
CG: Just read your posts. Some questions come to mind

1). Wonder what Cheap thinks of a Nashville team playing for the Stanley Cup?

2). What Buffet song I wonder? I'm sure it wasn't Margaritaville.

3). No a q but a comment: when we got married and bought a house the local town had control of 32 feet on the side of our 75 x 100 lot. the way our house was situated, most of the property was on the side they controlled. Our neighbor wanted an above ground pool, Town wouldn't allow it on the side. He put it in his meager backyard (like ours), and said he could jump out his kitchen window and land in the pool.

Our Choir Director died. I was very close to him after 32 years, but the past year he failed greatly - didn't really suffer, just grew progessively weak.

Saw my Dad today: 96, asks "Why am I here?". Physically healht, mentally pretty bad - took a while to recognize and realize who Barb and I were, but once he figured it out we had a great visit. He always wants to know what happened to my hais, since I alwaya had a healthy head of hair before Chemo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
1,102 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
to answer some of your questions...

1) thrilled that nashville is playing for the stanley cup...would have rather it been the leafs but maybe some day. Anyway more of carrie underwood is NEVER a bad thing. Just hope that they beat out that whiny brat crosby and his buds.

2) I would lay odds that it wasn't margaritaville

Sorry for the loss of your choir director. I guess sudden illness and not much prolonged suffering is the way to go other than maybe dying in your sleep. From the sounds of it Sandy was highly regarded and it was nice to hear that they paid such a moving tribute to her.

I was remiss in an earlier post to acknowledge the sacrifices of armed men and women everywhere in keeping our way of life safe...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian epic nov 2014
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
We have two WWII Vets left in our church. We USed to have a large Veterans group. These days its our two oldest, a couple Vietnam Vets.

And, Cheap: CG and I probably owe you an apology, blaming Canada for maple trees. We all know where maple trees came from:

JOHNNY MAPLESEED!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
HAPPY NATIONAL DONUT DAY!

Veterans often get a free dinner on Veterans Day & Memorial Day. Today, as a former Donut shop worker I got a free donut. Congrats to me!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Had a bad week last week. Results of latest MRI not good, but not life threatening either. My silver cloud lining: i will temporarily be going back on a prescription type of Chemo ($10K per month possibly), but since our insurance will cover it, we pay, then get reimbursed, and that means lots more points on my Royal Visa card!

I was actually a bit depressed last week, then got an e-mail from someone i hadn;t heard from in 20 years - it was great to hear from an old friend; snapped me out of my funk and got me back into cruising mode.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Oh, should have added: not sure how Canada works. Here drugs have to be approved by the FDA before being released for use. I'm supposed to start a new Chemo that is in trials, and should be approved within 2 to 4 months. Until then, the Chemo pills which I can only get through one special pharmacy that apparently has a deal with my insurance company. I'm hoping it will still be expensive (doesn't that sound weird? But more Royal points).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
1,102 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
not sure how canada works with respect to approved treatments vis a vis cancer and no offense but I don't really want to be acquainted with how they deal with those types of chemo. It is more than a little irksome to me that they haven't really made a dent in the efforts to cure cancer given the length of time that they have had and the monies devoted to doing so. I know that there are all kinds of reports of "cures" from cannabis oil to baking soda injections and the reports that cuba has a lung cancer vaccine that can be produced for a dollar. Still it appears to me that like fossil fuels which nobody really wants to get rid of because of the economic impact of doing so so is the treatment of cancer. It is huge business and being more than a little suspicious of the placement of riches before the common good it is at the very least disheartening to see this horrible disease not being vanquished

ENough of the soapbox I guess. I feel for you Steve having to endure countless sessions of chemo and marvel at your positive attitude towards your predicament but I guess it DOES at least get you the points for more cruises and vacations at timeshares and the like.

Father had two nasty moles (skin cancers I guess really) cut off of his back yesterday so it has him a little down I guess being as he is still adjusting to life after mom. Two more to remove plus a really nasty looking skin tag which the plastic surgeon says is nothing to worry about. We are trying to get him to fly to florida in july just to spend time with the family in the orlando area so I guess this is where the persuasiveness of my daughters comes into play. Unfortunately the cost of out of country medical insurance for one week is astronomically high for someone his age so not sure if that will come to pass.

I think I am up for dad of the year from youngest DD as I spent the last week or so of my holidays building her deck on the back of the house. I am pretty sure that the gratitude will be short lived but I guess for now I will revel in it .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian epic nov 2014
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I was wrong when I said my new Chemo would cost $10K per month. The actual cost: $13,800 per month. Not 100% sue my insurance will cover all of it at this point. If it does, that's a lot of cruise points! Only problem: our Royal Visa has a $10K limit; called and they upped it to $14K. Had to use Marriott Rewards card this time. Next time we'll either split it between 2 cards, or make sure our Royal is zero balance.

Dad of the Year? Yeah, that will probably last til Father's Day at least.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
HAPPY FLAG DAY TO ALL!

240 YEARS AND GOING STRONG?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Bartlett,TN,USA
11,803 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by kicker
Had a bad week last week. Results of latest MRI not good, but not life threatening either. My silver cloud lining: i will temporarily be going back on a prescription type of Chemo ($10K per month possibly), but since our insurance will cover it, we pay, then get reimbursed, and that means lots more points on my Royal Visa card!

I was actually a bit depressed last week, then got an e-mail from someone i hadn;t heard from in 20 years - it was great to hear from an old friend; snapped me out of my funk and got me back into cruising mode.
Originally posted by kicker
I was wrong when I said my new Chemo would cost $10K per month. The actual cost: $13,800 per month. Not 100% sue my insurance will cover all of it at this point. If it does, that's a lot of cruise points! Only problem: our Royal Visa has a $10K limit; called and they upped it to $14K. Had to use Marriott Rewards card this time. Next time we'll either split it between 2 cards, or make sure our Royal is zero balance.

Dad of the Year? Yeah, that will probably last til Father's Day at least.
Sorry you had a bad report. Like it has been said many times, "Cancer sucks!" I can't imagine how these drug companies expect insurance companies to stay in business paying those exhorborant rates.

I went to cancer clinic yesterday for my first visit with my oncologist's nurse practitioner. I've been seeing oncologist for nearly eight years. In November, he decided to switch me to his nurse practitioner. He set the appointment up for the same day I would receive my reclast infusion(for osteopenia). All my blood wrork, tumor markers, etc. were good. I'll go back in a year........hopefully, we'll have moved to Florida by then, and I can come here for the appointment and driving the grandkids to or from a Florida visit!!

We have been extremely busy trying to get our house fixed up and ready to sell. While we were in Chattanooga, there was a storm here with 100 MPH winds. We had a roof shingle off, and while checking out the entire roof, our son noticed we had some rotten wood around the chimney.....so he and John repaired that. Still need to paint another coat on it. We had a couple of crumbling sections on our front walkway from driveway to front porch. John and our son were beginning to attempt replacing it. After a very few minutes with a saw, trying to cut through the cement, John got ready and left for work. As soon as he did, I got online checking out concrete companies! I called one, and the lady came to measure that day. Monday, the crew came and replaced the bad sections, and we also had them add a walkway from the driveway to the back patio. It looks fantastic!! I only wish we had done it sooner, so we could have been enjoying it!

The house next door to ours went up for sale, and two weeks later, it's sold! We are very hopeful when we put ours up, it will sell that quickly! Getting all the projects marked off the list, slowly but surely.

Next cruise(and only one booked) is our free Pinnacle cruise on Harmony July 15.

Maybe a FedEx buyout announcement end of September......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Places I have been........

http://www.travbuddy.com/maps/6681190

Cruises: 100 Total

Carnival - 5 cruises (33 pts, Gold in VIFP Club)

Celebrity - 20 cruises (762 pts, Elite Plus in Captain's Club)

Holland - 2 cruises

Norwegian - 2 cruises

Princess - 1 cruise

Royal Caribbean - 70 cruises (725 points, Pinnacle Club in Crown and Anchor)
1,102 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Kay I hope for John's sake that there is another buyout announcement in september but being up here in canada such things are non existent. Our business seems to be growing in leaps and bounds so the prospects of a buyout are about the same as a snowball's chance in the caribbean. As for houses selling not sure what kind of market it is down there but up here in this area at least the market is really heating up. Toronto area (about 100 miles away) is to blame for it essentially as there are few detached houses in the toronto area that aren't going for close to a million dollars. My house to put it in perspective if it were in the greater toronto area would be about a million two or so but here in london a more manageable 530 or so. More people are choosing london and area as a home area with a 2 hour commute each way to toronto for their jobs. Makes no sense to me but I am extremely fortunate to be employed at fedex where I can go to toronto and back every day but don't have to live there to do my job.

Steve, guess that is one hell of a silver lining. One might even say it is a gold lining...certainly it is lining the pockets of big pharm with a healthy supply of gold. One shudders to think what would happen if you had no insurance or not enough to get the treatments that you need.

Well in preparation for a summer time sans cruising and not anything on the horizon cruise wise I have started stripping my wood deck of years of thompson water seal so that I can stain and reseal it. Considering my 2 weeks holidays was largely spent building a deck for youngest DD it is safe to say that deck related tasks right now are not at the top of my favourite things to do list. It looks like unless things change drastically a cruise in the offing is going to be way far away. WIth a wedding coming up, the disney trip at the end of july, some odds and sods to be done around the house and the "forced" retirement of DW at the end of march next year the monies needed might be in rather short supply. PLUS we have entered that whole why do you like a cruise I think they are boring I want to do something different phase yet again. I think actually the "ultimatum" if you want to call it that went something like "if you want to go on a cruise you will have to go by yourself because I am NOT going" and while there is a lady friend in toronto that would gladly go with me as she has never been on a cruise before I am not sure that I am ready for the fallout from going with someone else (separate cabins of course). SO keep those reviews coming of cruises you have been on and I will live vicariously through you guys for the time being anyway .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian epic nov 2014
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Random Thoughts on the Above:

I'd rather have an occasional wind storm/tornado than snow, but that's me.

Auburn Housing: Auburn is a very old city, and we have dozens of old homes that once held ten or twelve kids in a family, but are now multiple apartments. There is no industry here. I talked to a Real Estate agent I know recently and she said the market in Auburn is strong right now; I don't know why. Our church rectory (where I live) was built in 1972. Housed on both sides and next to our Hall are al over 100 years old.

Cancer: my report wasn't great, but I don't plan on checking out just yet. I think if I can live until I'm about 150 I could become Platinum. Glad you're doing good, CG, and I hope the house sells quick.

Cheap: I'm sure your wife wouldn't appreciate you going with another woman, but I'm willing to offer my services (I'll even wear a dress if you want).

Last thought: Seems the larger ships often have the most experienced cruisers. Most posters on my Anthem thread are Diamond Plus or Platinum, and don't seem to post too oftem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
1,102 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Steve I appreciate the offer but if I need a partner to go with me and you should happen to be that partner the dress is entirely off the table as much as you might look fabulous in that little black dress.

As I said before I think this group is an anomaly....even with the sparse posting record compared to earlier on in its incarnation it is leaps and bounds better than any other group that I have been a part of. The last cruise I took the day it ended was the day that the posting stopped entirely and it wasn't as if it was setting gangbuster records prior to embarkation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian epic nov 2014
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
A belated Happy Father's Day to Cheap, CG- John, Mr Sunshine, and anyone else on here recently that I'm forgetting. We went to Turning Stone Casino (hour away from us) for a Father's Day buffet (played a penny machine and won ten bucks on my 2nd turn, then left - total casino time one minute). then we went to Vernon Downs Harness Racing Track and watched a few races. I played two races ($2 Win-Place-Show combos); both of my horses came in fourth. We let Loralie pick horses for 2 races; she played them to place and won both times.

I have this great theory of how to win at Vernon Downs. Vernon is a 3/4 mile track (that means less turns for the horses). I remember from years back that some horses have trouble with turns, so if you find a horse shipping in from a half mile track he might do better on the 3/4's. Great idea. Only problem: it was NYS Sire Stakes, so ALL the horses were from other tracks! Therefore, no way to find an advantage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Auburn, NY
4,704 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Summer Plans:

Loralie ends school with a half day Wednesday; we're going to Scranton PA (2 1/2 hrs away) to watch the Yankees Triple A farm team, wanted to see their up and coming star Gleyber Torres. We bought our tickets already, so of course he gets hurt on Saturday and will be on the Disabled List. We'll come home Thursday and go to Rochester to see Dancing With the Stars with some friends (absolutely not my idea of a good time, but sometimes you have to compromise).

July: Chris was supposed to go to Florida with his girlfriend and her 2 kids and Loralie. the girl (very nice and apparently becoming a serious situation) has had 2 car accidents since they planned the trip (1st was a head-on where it couldn't be determined who ran a red light at a five road intersection; 2nd, she hit a deer coming home from our house). With having to buy a new used car and paying her insurance deductibles she can't afford the trip right now. Chris locked himself in to some timeshare thing, so he loses $250 if he doesn't go. Barb is thinking of going with him and Loralie; i wouldn't have enough time to go for the week, but I might fly down and meet them if I can find decent airfaire (doubtful).

August: Myrtle Beach - I hate the drive, but its the closest place where we can use our timeshare points and stay on the beach.

October cruise on Anthem will wind up the year. Only 2017 cruise - I'll never catch CG at this rate!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer OTS 5/13;