Snorkeling: Curacao vs Aruba

cruise pup

It's gonna be Curacao for me. It not only has better snorkeling but my cruise ship doesn't arrive in Aruba until 11 am. So I'll probably land up staying aboard for lunch and then going ashore in the afternoon. We arrive in Curacao at 8 am which is better. I like to snorkel in the a.m. and then do my visit into Willemstad for the latter part of the day. I will probably book an excursion with the ship since I'm getting a bunch of o.b.c.'s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Curacao without doubt!

I will have limited time in Curacao -- ship sails at 1:30 p.m. If I have a specific plan or a snorkel guide, that should be enough time for morning snorkeling. I will have my own gear; I could do it on my own with some insight from those that know the island. My concern is time, transportation, and finding the best spots.

I snorkeled with "Renee" in Bonaire. She took us to 3 locations in 3 hours. Do you know anyone with a car or small boat that does something similar?

Curacao is much better than Aruba - no comparison

I will have limited time in Curacao -- ship sails at 1:30 p.m. If I have a specific plan or a snorkel guide, that should be enough time for morning snorkeling. I will have my own gear; I could do it on my own with some insight from those that know the island. My concern is time, transportation, and finding the best spots.

I snorkeled with "Renee" in Bonaire. She took us to 3 locations in 3 hours. Do you know anyone with a car or small boat that does something similar?

If I was in your position I'd take a taxi to Kontiki beach for the morning.

• 1 month later...

Hi Larry,

Nice to see your smiling face again. We had corresponded when I was researching the Solstice cruise last December! Your advice is always the best.

I'm checking out Kontiki beach next. We're deciding on either the Ruby Princess or NCL Dawn for 3/10 cruise.

Edited by tbmrt
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
Curacao is much better than Aruba - no comparison

If I was in your position I'd take a taxi to Kontiki beach for the morning.

Thanks for your reply. How far is Kontiki beach from the cruise ship pier? There's another couple that would like to join us, but they need to rent gear. Can gear be rented at Kontiki beach?

Also learned there is an underwater park with a beach and good snorkeling. It is supposed to be a quick taxi ride from the pier with an entrance fee between $7 & $10. Do you know anything about this place?

• 9 months later...
Can anyone tell me which site would be considered Blue Bay Resort? Or which site it would be closest to?

check out Best Western Blue Bay (Baai) on line. I think I uploaded a picture of the beach at Blue Bay. It is a great beach.

AzuraBecahView4.jpg.fd73c536a2f4a3a395d4591a2d59055f.jpg

Agree that Blue Bay is a great beach. Being a small resort- there are plenty of amenities, including a lovely pool to swim in after swimming in the ocean.

When we were there, it was pleasantly quiet- good water temp (April) and those around us who were snorkeling said -"great snorkeling."

has anyone seen seahorses at any of the snorkel sights in Curacao?

Yes saw several. It is like swimming in an aquarium in Curacao. I saw this one and several on the Tugboat dive site and a really small black one at The Dive Bus area on Pierbaai (? spelling) Beach area. I have attached a picture of the one I saw and a picture of squid at Pierbaai.

0611089006.jpg.c56c942404b3fbec3d12efc447fe45dc.jpg

_thb_0611089065.jpg.8314cda202854c91ff9ede694d1daaa8.jpg

Yes saw several. It is like swimming in an aquarium in Curacao. I saw this one and several on the Tugboat dive site and a really small black one at The Dive Bus area on Pierbaai (? spelling) Beach area. I have attached a picture of the one I saw and a picture of squid at Pierbaai.

Were you diving or snorkeling? What month of the year did you see the seahorse?

Were you diving or snorkeling? What month of the year did you see the seahorse?

I do both. Not sure what month ...as I was there a year. They really do not have a change of seasons there. It is just one long summer. I saw a few seahorses, just never always had a camera with me. You really have to look for the little guys, but I did see a black one at The Dive Bus, Pierbaai Beach, out in the open, all by himself. Now, that was awesome, but no camera.

Was told of a nice public beach, with beach bed and lounge rentals, as well as bar/restaurant service on the beach, located next to Breezes. Could someone tell me the name of the beach, so I know what to tell the taxi driver? I was told Copacabanna (or something like that) but I can not find anything on the internet listed for that). Also, can you tell me how far it is from the port, by taxi, and whether or not it is good for snorkeling?

Was told of a nice public beach, with beach bed and lounge rentals, as well as bar/restaurant service on the beach, located next to Breezes. Could someone tell me the name of the beach, so I know what to tell the taxi driver? I was told Copacabanna (or something like that) but I can not find anything on the internet listed for that). Also, can you tell me how far it is from the port, by taxi, and whether or not it is good for snorkeling?

Mambo Beach or KonTiki Beach....all the same. It is good for snorkeling, but most beaches in Curacao are good for snorkeling. It is about 20 minutes by Vehicle, but only 7-10 minutes if you walk across the foot bridge and hail a cab from over there. They have a straight shot to the beach from Punda area (across the channel from Port!). If you get a cab at Port, you go the long way around, over the bridge, through the neighborhood and then down the street from where you need to be. Takes longer and on cruise day it can be crazy. If you look on line for "Dolphin Academy" you will see Mambo Beach, KonTiki and Lions Dive Beach area...It is just one long beach separated by bars and places to eat. Hemingways is a nice place to eat and sit in the shade.

Edited by curacao

• 6 years later...
Hi there!

Does anyone know of any good snorkeling activities(in Curacao) where they include transportation? We're arriving on a cruise and don't want to miss our boat! Notice all the good snorkeling spots are about 1hr away. Any feedback is good!

d

I agree. We are crushing RCL and looking for some recommedations. First time for this rotation anD I don't know the island.