Quebec City Hotels, pre-cruise

Any tips on hotels in Quebec City, leaving on repositioning in October, HAL Eurodam. Transfer tips welcome too. Taxis?

We're on the Eurodam, October 10th out of Quebec City. We're booked into the Marriott Courtyard, just outside the gates of the old city. Pretty decent price and evidently a very nice hotel. Are you on this same cruise? If so there is a roll call established and we'd love you to join. We're doing a back to back, out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean on the 22nd.:D

What a lovely city !! Hopefully one will be staying in the old medieval Vieux Quebec.

Take time to savor its ambience like one would a fine French wine.

The Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac would be my first hotel choice, but of course that is way out of my budget restraints.

Taxis from the airport to the downtown area are at a fixed $32.50 rate. See here for more information.

You may find that it is cheaper to fly into Montreal. You can then either take a bus or the train to Québec's Gare du Palais, which is much more convenient to the port than the airport (in a pinch, it's walkable).

There are several nice boutique-style hotels within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal; I've compiled a list here, in order of distance from the port:

Hotel Port Royal

Hotel Dominion 1912

Hotel%2071"]Hotel 71

Auberge Saint-Pierre

auberge%20saint-antoine"]Auberge Saint-Antoine[/url]

Hotel Le Priori

The Château Frontenac is lovely, but the standard rooms are small. Better to stay somewhere else and have lunch/tea at the Château, so you can soak up the atmosphere.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Courtyard. The only negative for cruisers is that it's further from the port - you would require a taxi there, whereas you can easily walk from those I've named (and from the Château, for that matter, if you don't mind going down a steep hill with luggage :p)

Thanks to all for your input, we are sailing on Eurodam Oct.10. Will plough through the list of recommendations. This site is a new tool for me although we have been on more than 25 cruises. Hope to hook up with the roll call.

Helen from Virginia.

What a wonderful city to see and tour. We were last in Quebec City 6 years ago on another cruise that started in Montreal. This time we are starting in Quebec City and arriving a day early to stay in the Le Chateau Frontenac in one of the largest suites. We planned well ahead and are flying in to Montreal and then driving to Quebec City as it is a pain to fly in from almost anywhere, plus we wanted another longer look at Montreal also.

We also stayed at the Marriott Courtyard for 2 nights pre-cruise for the Oct 10 Eurodam. The hotel was excellent, and well located to enter the old town on foot. It's a relatively short taxi ride to the port -but, walking is not an option.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Edited by arewethereyet

What a wonderful city to see and tour. We were last in Quebec City 6 years ago on another cruise that started in Montreal. This time we are starting in Quebec City and arriving a day early to stay in the Le Chateau Frontenac in one of the largest suites. We planned well ahead and are flying in to Montreal and then driving to Quebec City as it is a pain to fly in from almost anywhere, plus we wanted another longer look at Montreal also.

The Chateau ! Oh yes....That would be THE definitive Quebec place to stay .

Any tips on hotels in Quebec City, leaving on repositioning in October, HAL Eurodam. Transfer tips welcome too. Taxis?

We did the same trip a few years ago. We flew to Montreal. Rented a car from Hertz one way & drove to Quebec. There is a Hertz drop off in the old city just around the corner from the hotel where we stayed. L'Hotel du Vieux Quebec was great & not very expensive. We had fresh croissants hung on our door each morning in a picnic basket. There is a coffee maker & fridge. You can go to the market for fruit , cheese & pate. Also don't miss crepes & poutine. All inexpensive.

• 3 weeks later...
We're on the Eurodam, October 10th out of Quebec City. We're booked into the Marriott Courtyard, just outside the gates of the old city. Pretty decent price and evidently a very nice hotel. Are you on this same cruise? If so there is a roll call established and we'd love you to join. We're doing a back to back, out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean on the 22nd.:D

You've made a great choice for your hotel with Mariott Courtyard, we did NY to Quebec City last year and we loved the hotel. Warning, do not eat dinner in the hotel, it is extremely expensive!!! Their breakfast is fine.

Also, there are many restaurants in the city with set lunch menus, as in Europe, good bargain. Canada is very expensive, Quebec City in particular, but you will love the city. We took a mini bus tour and it took us out into the countryside and was great. We were also on the Eurodam, our first on large ship and it was a pleasant surprise, big cabins, especially the Deluxe cabin. Enjoy!

One additional info regarding transfers: post cruise we took a train from Quebec City to Montreal and flew out, you can do the same in reverse. It was a relaxing ride and the train station is a short distance from the pier and courtyard. I saw some comments regarding costs, don't forget Canadian currency is now even with USD or less, even Europeans are complaining!

One additional info regarding transfers: post cruise we took a train from Quebec City to Montreal and flew out, you can do the same in reverse. It was a relaxing ride and the train station is a short distance from the pier and courtyard. I saw some comments regarding costs, don't forget Canadian currency is now even with USD or less, even Europeans are complaining!

Can I get details on the train From QC to Montreal please.

How much is the fare?

How long a ride? Is there just one class on the coaches/cars?

I guess staying at the Courtyard Hotel would be a good idea as it near the Fontenac and the old city and close to the train station.

How much would a cab be from hotel to train station? I do not think we can walk far dragging our 2 suitcases (each person). I have a hard enough time getting them from the airport to the curb for a taxi.

Can I get details on the train From QC to Montreal please.

How much is the fare?

How long a ride? Is there just one class on the coaches/cars?

I guess staying at the Courtyard Hotel would be a good idea as it near the Fontenac and the old city and close to the train station.

How much would a cab be from hotel to train station? I do not think we can walk far dragging our 2 suitcases (each person). I have a hard enough time getting them from the airport to the curb for a taxi.

Train from Québec to Montreal is usually in the $50-60 range. I believe there's a business class in addition to the basic economy class, so that is probably more. Check pricing on http://www.viarail.ca/en/main

The Courtyard is in a nice location, but not especially close to the train station. Not that it's far, as nothing is very far in that part of town. Probably a 5-10 minute taxi, depending on traffic. I would not walk it, as it is in Upper Town, thus up a fairly steep hill.

Hi Everyone:

I am researching and contemplating doing a reposition cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale.

For those of you that have cruised out of Quebec City or anybody else that might know.

Do any of the hotels in the Vicinity of Port offer complimentary Transportation to the Cruise Ship?

If not do you know what the taxi's cost in the area?

Thanks for any info.

Gail

Hi Everyone:

I am researching and contemplating doing a reposition cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale.

For those of you that have cruised out of Quebec City or anybody else that might know.

Do any of the hotels in the Vicinity of Port offer complimentary Transportation to the Cruise Ship?

If not do you know what the taxi's cost in the area?

Thanks for any info.

Gail

I doubt you'll find a hotel offering a free shuttle, as cruise ship passengers are still a fairly small percentage of their clientele (there are just not that many turnarounds in QC).

The hotels that I mentioned here in post #4 are all an easy walk to the terminal - the Port Royal, for example, is right opposite the entrance to the terminal's parking lot.

It's hard to estimate taxi costs, but minimum is 3.50$ then 1.60$ every km, 0.60$ for a waited minute.

Also of interest for those who will be with us during high season, the buses 400 (3$ for a day pass) and Ecolobus (1$ each way) stop at the ferry terminal, and they have enough stops to stop close to the cruise terminal. I'm sure they would take you close to the Courtyard Marriot. (Like cross the Dufferin blvd close).

Train schedule and fare information and reservations can be done online through http://www.viarail.ca/en. Last time I took the train to Montreal it was about 75$ one way. Note that they have a lot of specials.

I think that depending on traffic, going from the old town to the train station would cost about 10-12$.

If you decide to stay at the Chateau Frontenac, sign up for Fairmont's free loyalty program, Fairmont President's Club, you will get free internet access, and through the great rates-great dates program you might get a cheaper (but prepaid) rate. Just check online the month before you go (first week of the month) to see if special rates are offered. We have stayed there a few times, and it is nice, but remember it is an OLD hotel, so even though it is historic and really well kept up, the bathrooms are small, and regular rooms are also. We have had a suite, which was large, but the bathroom is as small as the regular rooms, so a bit disappointing.

• 5 years later...
Any small inexpensive breakfast spots near the Marriott courtyard

Quebec city

First, welcome to CC.

Second - you're welcome to start a new thread rather than resurrecting a very old one (especially since this is old enough that there was only one Canada board, so is now in the wrong half of the country!) I've flagged it to the Mods to see if they'll move it to the East Coast board instead where you'll find more Quebec locals are likely to spot your question.

Third - I'd eat in Cora's which has a branch only a block away from your hotel (turn left outside the door, and you'll see it inside the strip mall just ahead and on the right).