English speaking

Carol999

The vast majority of our fellow passengers on the Mediterranea in March were non English speaking. That said, we did enjoy a conversation with a french couple one night at dinner who happened to speak English and some of my fellow contestants on the Voice of the Sea were English and one other American. We also happened to be right in front of some people from Florida waiting to get on the ship in Palermo. There was also an English host who was very helpful with any questions or concerns any English speakers may have.

So, if you like the idea of being able to strike up a conversation with just about anyone on the ship, that probably won't work. But, the English speakers are there, you just might need to put some effort into finding them.

We are thinking of costa out of Italy in October. Will we be isolated from most due to only speaking english. Did anyone find there was a decent enough amount of english speakers?

I wouldn't call it isolated though as it sounds too negative.

From my 7 day Diadema round trip BCN experience I would say I have never been on a cruise where I had as little conversations as that time. There were probably a lot of factors to it. Big ship so lots of people I did never see again, embarkation/disembarkation ports nearly every day and most people do not speak english as their first language.

I am still not sure if so many people were actually unable to speak english or just had no interest and pretended not to.

But it is a noticeable difference to an english speaking cruise ship where even in Europe where the english speaking percentage had been less than 50% nearly everyone was prepared to communicate in a common language.

On Costa for Italian, French, Spanish and Germans that is not necessary but as long as you expect that it will be fine.

When arranging the dinner tables, the Maitre 'D try to put English speakers together for dinner.

There are english speaking shore excursions so another opporutnity to meet other english speakers.

Check the daily program to see if the english speaking host / hostess has arranged a meet and greet for her sheep.

There rae a couple of things you can try to get the ball rolling:

1. Check to see if a roll call has been started for your cruise, if not why not start one.

2. If the the host / hostess has not arranged a meet and greet ask them if they can arrange one.

As a backup, take an interactive english audiobook.;)

We have yet to cruise with Costa (over 20) without meeting at least six new friends mainly English but some Americans.

Depending on the ship and the English host they will hold a English speakers meeting before boat drill on the first day. If not look in daily news for her/his time and go to see them ( sometimes this is not practical as the time is during first sitting at dinner. But you can always contact them via reception. During the winter months more English speakers go with Costa, we always cruise late Sept to February with them. If you have a sea day ask host to arrange a small get together with other guests, they often do this when there are small numbers of English speakers on board.

As said above we have had no trouble with meeting people at dinner, but choose first sitting (6.30/7.00pm) as most Italians & French eat late.

If it is the Diadema then you will have no trouble as they pick up in three ports and due to the size she has more English on board.

As for Meet & Greet never had much joy on here but try some of the English cruise forums as you will get better results.

We have yet to cruise with Costa (over 20) without meeting at least six new friends mainly English but some Americans.

Depending on the ship and the English host they will hold a English speakers meeting before boat drill on the first day. If not look in daily news for her/his time and go to see them ( sometimes this is not practical as the time is during first sitting at dinner. But you can always contact them via reception. During the winter months more English speakers go with Costa, we always cruise late Sept to February with them. If you have a sea day ask host to arrange a small get together with other guests, they often do this when there are small numbers of English speakers on board.

IMHO that only covers guest who are booked from an english language country. Last time I booked through the UK and was invited to the english speakers meeting. Won't happen my next cruise I guess.

If you look in the 'Today' or whatever it is called now, (forgot again.)

You will see when English host holds meetings you can always get a English version of this from reception if it is not in the German daily news. Failing that just walk along by main ballroom around 6.30 and you will see all hosts table set out.

Or even ask your cabin steward to tell you.

We always book through Italy and never had any problems, with the new Perla Diamante rank you automatically have contact with him/her.

You can turn up at any meeting the Favolosa had an English Female host who was very good she may well be back in November as she was on leave in May.

The ratio tends to be maybe 5% in Europe to 20% in the Caribbean, but we need to know your definition of decent. There are a couple of places in Woodbridge I dance regularly, very Italian, being in the Grand Bar isn't much different from being home.

I have booked with both Costa USA and Costa France. With a USA booking the default language is English, if French, I have to get restaurant seating changed to English (everything else, I can read French well enough to get by) but the English host's hours will only be published in the English program..

There was one Transatlantic I was on, over 600 English speakers, but an old people travel group, none of them I had anything in common with.

• 4 weeks later...

We are Australian and we recently cruised on Costa Magica from Savonarola to Amsterdam. For dinner we were seated with another Australian couple, who both had an Italian background.

We did a couple of ship excursions. For Tangiers, the tour guide conducted the tour in English and German. For Le Havre, the tour guide conducted the tour in English and Spanish.

There were destination briefings in English for all destinations as far as I remember.

our "diario di bordo" was delivered in English. If for some reason yours is not, just ask your cabin steward.

As long as you are prepared for the Italian flavor, all will be well. Btw, the dining room food was the best we have had on any cruise. My husband has become a bit of a Costa tragic, which is a pity as they don't have a presence in Australia.