Southwest opened schedule to April 6, 2018

StLouisCruisers

I checked fares out of ATL to SJU for 3/31/18 and I was not impressed. The "Wanna Get Away" fares were only available for solo passengers at $394 one way. When I added the other 2 members of my party, the price jumps to $534/pp one way. I think I'm going to wait a bit before I buy. The fares are higher than I am ready to pay right now. Cruise final payment deadline is 12/31/17, so I still have time to make up my mind.:confused:

I checked fares out of ATL to SJU for 3/31/18 and I was not impressed. The "Wanna Get Away" fares were only available for solo passengers at $394 one way. When I added the other 2 members of my party, the price jumps to $534/pp one way. I think I'm going to wait a bit before I buy. The fares are higher than I am ready to pay right now. Cruise final payment deadline is 12/31/17, so I still have time to make up my mind.:confused:

What are you waiting for?

Capture.jpg

Waiting for WN, because....(don't you know)....Southwest ALWAYS has the best prices.

;)

SOUTHWEST has 2 free checked bags and no change fees. That flexibility is why a lot of people wait for them when other airlines have already published their fares. Also, even on WN's lowest fare bucket, they still offer credit if the fare drops in the form of travel funds to be used within 1 year of booking.

What are you waiting for?

Capture.jpg

I did check Delta this morning, but this is a non-refundable fare, and if for some reason we needed to make a change a $75 to $200 fee would be involved per ticket. Also, if we choose to check a bag, its $25 per bag each way. At least The Delta flight is non-stop. I may end up with Delta if all else fails, but I would prefer to wait a bit longer before I buy non-refundable tickets with change fees attached.

SOUTHWEST has 2 free checked bags and no change fees.

Who needs two checked bags per person? Are you going on a cruise that's going to last the rest of your life, and your next three lives as well?

That flexibility is why a lot of people wait for them and end up paying more money when other airlines have already published their fares that are lower than Southwest offered at all.

Fixed for you.

Who needs two checked bags per person? Are you going on a cruise that's going to last the rest of your life, and your next three lives as well?

Fixed for you.

Well thank you so much fbgd! You sure set me straight! I don't think I mentioned how many bags I would be checking, but thanks for the packing advice too. By the way, I usually don't check bags because I hate baggage claim, but its nice to have a free option on WN if needed. I'll be sure to pass your sage wisdom to my fellow travel mates for this cruise. And if by some unfortunate reason I need to cancel this cruise, I still can do so without penalty until late December. The same cannot be said for purchasing airfare from a legacy airline. If the lowest airfare was my main concern, I would have already bought our tickets on Spirit Airlines.

Well thank you so much fbgd! You sure set me straight! I don't think I mentioned how many bags I would be checking, but thanks for the packing advice too. By the way, I usually don't check bags because I hate baggage claim, but its nice to have a free option on WN if needed. I'll be sure to pass your sage wisdom to my fellow travel mates for this cruise. And if by some unfortunate reason I need to cancel this cruise, I still can do so without penalty until late December. The same cannot be said for purchasing airfare from a legacy airline. If the lowest airfare was my main concern, I would have already bought our tickets on Spirit Airlines.

You're most welcome. Where shall I send the invoice?

What if the date for the return flight for Southwest is not showing up yet?

Should I go ahead & book my flight going to FLL and then wait until the return flight schedule comes out on Aug 28 ?

Thanks for any help.

What if the date for the return flight for Southwest is not showing up yet?

Should I go ahead & book my flight going to FLL and then wait until the return flight schedule comes out on Aug 28 ?

Thanks for any help.

That's what I do. The price is the same one way as it would be round trip. Mark your calendar for Aug. 28 and check the pricing. I know what I'm willing to pay and it's generally a good price this far out. With Southwest you can keep an eye on that flight and if it goes down, just change your flight online for the lower price. That's one thing I can't do with Delta, who also flies non-stop to FLL from ATL. The price I pay with Delta is the price I'm stuck with.

That's what I do. The price is the same one way as it would be round trip. Mark your calendar for Aug. 28 and check the pricing. I know what I'm willing to pay and it's generally a good price this far out. With Southwest you can keep an eye on that flight and if it goes down, just change your flight online for the lower price. That's one thing I can't do with Delta, who also flies non-stop to FLL from ATL. The price I pay with Delta is the price I'm stuck with.

Thanks for the advice. I checked other airlines and no one can beat Southwest on pricing right now espec w/ a non-stop flight.

I usually don't check bags because I hate baggage claim, but its nice to have a free option on WN if needed.

Conversely, part of the reason many of us will stick to DL (or AA or UA) even if it means paying a few extra bucks here and there, is because the level of frequent flyer status we attain on those airlines gives us a whole array of perks that include, among other things, free bags, and very frequently, more flexibility on changes/refunds than what is published. ;)

• 5 months later...

I was looking at Southwest flights for awhile because the prices for EWR-SJU were super cheap. Then I noticed a few weeks ago that the flights were now all 1 stops, doubling the travel time each way. So check your schedules.