Quebec City-Help with Tour

We would like to include a horse-drawn carriage ride while in Quebec City in early October, and are considering the following tour. Please comment on whether any of you think this tour is "worth it", or if we should do this on our own. Also, if touring on our own in Quebec City, should we have Canadian currency for the funicular, horse-drawn carriage, etc.?

Old Quebec Walk, Horse & Carriage

Approximate Duration: 3 hours

Adult Pricing From: $72

Explore the narrow cobbled lanes and charming alleyways of the lower city on a walking tour. Then ride the funicular to the upper city for a stately tour in a horse and carriage. Place Royale the beautifully restored square in the heart of the Lower Town features superb examples of the17th and 18th century stone architecture that characterizes the city. The site of the Sieur de Champlain's first settlement, the square is home to Notre Dame des Victoires, the oldest stone church still standing in North America. Petit Champlain Street, the pedestrian-only street adjacent to the Place Royale, features boutiques, shops, cafes and restaurants housed in 17th and 18th century buildings. Strolling musicians, jugglers and other street performers abound. Board the funicular for the short ride to the historic, walled Upper Town, home to Dufferin Terrace and Chateau Frontenac. Dufferin Terrace, Quebec's grand promenade, affords panoramic views of the St. Lawrence River, the town of Levis on the opposite bank, the Ile d'Orleans, and the Laurentian Mountains. Chateau Frontenac, Quebec's most recognizable landmark is a palatial hotel, a green-turreted castle built in 1893 by the Canadian Pacific Railway. Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill and MacKenzie King met here to discuss strategy during World War II. Board your elegant carriage in the Place d'Armes and ride through the historic streets of the Upper Town. You pass by the Artists Alley, Notre-Dame Basilica, Seminary of Quebec, Place de l'Hotel de Ville through St.-Louis gate along Grande-Allee to Battlefield Park and back via St.-Louis street.

I suppose the advantage of purchasing this tour is having a guide accompany you, and having the caleche (horse-drawn carriage) ride organized in advance, but all of this is easily walkable from the dock area, so all you really need is a good guide book and map. It is a nice itinerary, however.

We have been to Quebec City. I think what you have planned sounds great. Yes, it's true you can easily stroll the city yourself and then there are serveral horses and carriages. But, there are advantages being on the tour from the fact that you will have a guide who can point out places of interest and the history of the city and the fact that there are times when it is very crowded so you'll know that the carriage ride is all planned for you.

Keith

• 8 years later...

Does anyone know if it's better to walk or take a cab from the port in Quebec City to Grand Allee area? I would like to walk the shops without paying for a tour. Is this possible? Has anyone else done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Resurrecting an old Canada thread has the issue these days of leaving it being seen by folks on the wrong coast - for some reason CC IT folks decided to turn Canada board into Canada/Pacific and leave all old threads here, only migrating much newer Eastern Canada threads to the Canada/New England board.

You'll definitely get more responses if it's moved - several regular posters over that side don't ever seem active on the left coast... but fortunately your Q is simple enough I can point you to the most useful resource for the distance part of it and leave it up to you to decide on whether walking or cabbing is best for you!

Google Maps has accurate info across the country including Quebec City - from the two main berths (22/30) it's a very short cab ride or a steep-unless-you-take-the-funicular 1 mile walk to the nearest end of Grand Allee (Est - by the parliament). Depending exactly which bits of it you want to see you'll have further to walk, but at least it's pretty flat up top - e.g. the Musee de Beaux-Artes de Quebec is pretty much in the middle, just the other side of the boundary between East and West streets, and that would be almost 2 miles on foot with the remaining stretch of G A Ouest running another mile further west.

Edit - forgot 104! If you're at this berth, which is almost directly below Beaux-Artes, unfortunately you have to take a pretty indirect route as there are few ways to the Upper City from where you are, so you end up walking pretty much the same 1-3 mile distance. I believe there should be shuttles taking you downtown, so assuming you walked from there the maps above would remain relevant.

Edited by martincath

Resurrecting an old Canada thread has the issue these days of leaving it being seen by folks on the wrong coast - for some reason CC IT folks decided to turn Canada board into Canada/Pacific and leave all old threads here, only migrating much newer Eastern Canada threads to the Canada/New England board.

You'll definitely get more responses if it's moved - several regular posters over that side don't ever seem active on the left coast... but fortunately your Q is simple enough I can point you to the most useful resource for the distance part of it and leave it up to you to decide on whether walking or cabbing is best for you!

Google Maps has accurate info across the country including Quebec City - from the two main berths (22/30) it's a very short cab ride or a steep-unless-you-take-the-funicular 1 mile walk to the nearest end of Grand Allee (Est - by the parliament). Depending exactly which bits of it you want to see you'll have further to walk, but at least it's pretty flat up top - e.g. the Musee de Beaux-Artes de Quebec is pretty much in the middle, just the other side of the boundary between East and West streets, and that would be almost 2 miles on foot with the remaining stretch of G A Ouest running another mile further west.

Edit - forgot 104! If you're at this berth, which is almost directly below Beaux-Artes, unfortunately you have to take a pretty indirect route as there are few ways to the Upper City from where you are, so you end up walking pretty much the same 1-3 mile distance. I believe there should be shuttles taking you downtown, so assuming you walked from there the maps above would remain relevant.

Oh goodness I didn't even think to check the date. Thanks so much for the info. That's a long walk for us with an 8 year old so I think we will take a cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums