Buenos Aires tour to Iguazu Falls

Kybabe

We booked through Discover Uruguay and when we did Diego was our contact person. He has been very good to work with. As I posted earlier, I was concerned about making the total payment so early as our tour isn't until February, 2018. He was understanding and we made a small deposit with the rest due after we make final payment for the cruise. We can live with that. When Diego responded to our emails, his email came from EcoUruguay@aol.com. But if you look on both Discover Uruguay and Buenos Aires tour sites they have the same tours at the same prices for the Iguazu Falls. We decided to go with this tour as by the time we factored in buses, airport transfer/taxis booking our own hotel, it seemed pretty close in cost. We usually do it all ourselves but this seemed the most convenient and economical for us! We did do our own flights and are staying a night coming and going to Iguazu at a hotle in Buenos Aires so we can leave luggage there. Don't want to haul all our cruise stuff that far for 2 nights!

Mary

We did a tour with the owner directly into a Vip Private Tour by Liz Andrea.

Yes she has a website but is a simple blog as she got many clients after 15 years of working by herself. Is a small company but very vip stylish.

We were 10 only and had a great time together! (http://www.lizflor2.blogspot.com)

Certificated with Excellence in Trip Advisor for many years.

Read our blog:

http://v2.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/rambling_roamer/4/1457712022

• 3 weeks later...
We booked through Discover Uruguay and when we did Diego was our contact person. He has been very good to work with. As I posted earlier, I was concerned about making the total payment so early as our tour isn't until February, 2018. He was understanding and we made a small deposit with the rest due after we make final payment for the cruise. We can live with that. When Diego responded to our emails, his email came from EcoUruguay@aol.com. But if you look on both Discover Uruguay and Buenos Aires tour sites they have the same tours at the same prices for the Iguazu Falls. We decided to go with this tour as by the time we factored in buses, airport transfer/taxis booking our own hotel, it seemed pretty close in cost. We usually do it all ourselves but this seemed the most convenient and economical for us! We did do our own flights and are staying a night coming and going to Iguazu at a hotle in Buenos Aires so we can leave luggage there. Don't want to haul all our cruise stuff that far for 2 nights!

Mary

Mary, do I understand you going before the cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Celebrity Eclipse Feb 2-17, 2019. I see there are several options for the days spent there. Was wondering which option you chose. Did you upgrade your hotel as well. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me as I work thru the choices. Which trip are you on?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...
We have not been yet. Going on the Emerald Princess, Jan 2018. We did go ahead and book them. I had gotten their name from lady I met on another cruise who had used them and really liked them. I found where they were mentioned favorably on a couple of travel blogs. I just really liked the idea that someone else would plan it all out for us. We will be flying to BA and doing the Iguazo Falls tour first, then 2 days in BA before the cruise and they are arranging all of that for use. Don't like the fact that we have to pay in full before the tour but that is what trip insurance is for! Good luck to us both!!!!!

Please let me know how the tour to Iguazu was. We are planning our trip for January 2019. Enjoy your cruise.

You can probably book the Falls and BA on your own. But it so much easier to book with a travel agent. We booked with Say Hueque and our agent was the best! You can get the basics of the Falls in a two day tour. I know some people did it in a day - flew out early and returned late. I would not recommend that. Stay over at least one night. If you decide to take the boat ride into the falls - which I highly recommend - that may not be included in your tour and you pay extra for that, DO IT!!!!!!! As for Brazil I heard that you can get now (just started) a visa on line for about $40. If so maybe spend an extra day to see the Brazil side. I heard some people say they knew guides that get you across at a reduced visa fee or for free. I certainly would not do that. The Argentine city at the Falls is quite a ways from the falls. It takes a while to get there by van. I think two days in BA is cutting it short. BA is one of the great cities of the world. We spent 5 nights there and wished we spent more time there. I also recommend reading Nicholas Fraser's biography on Evita Peron before you go. By doing that the Casa Rosa, her grave and museum will mean much more to you. We went to the traditional tango shows which are touristy but you got to do it. But we also got the agent to get us a private tour of a local neighborhood molonga with two professional tango dancers. That was really good. Only problem we were picked up at 11:00 PM and the dancing started after midnight. We left at 2:00 AM when things were starting to get good. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Best place? Has everything to do with preference. I stayed at on Sheraton within the park for convenience. It is however costlier than in town.

The convenience factor is great. You can easily wonder early into the falls before the crowds. You can go for an hour or two, return to the room for a shower (remember this is jungle humidity and temp) and short rest, then return. You can sit in the bar and watch sunset over the falls, etc.. also, after checkout and a last visit to the falls you can still use the hotel gym showers for free before heading back to the airport. If you are only staying for one night....this option saves a lot of time for the falls versus back and forth to town. In essence you are trading money for time.

Best place? Has everything to do with preference. I stayed at on Sheraton within the park for convenience. It is however costlier than in town.

The convenience factor is great. You can easily wonder early into the falls before the crowds. You can go for an hour or two, return to the room for a shower (remember this is jungle humidity and temp) and short rest, then return. You can sit in the bar and watch sunset over the falls, etc.. also, after checkout and a last visit to the falls you can still use the hotel gym showers for free before heading back to the airport. If you are only staying for one night....this option saves a lot of time for the falls versus back and forth to town. In essence you are trading money for time.

Agreed. Just in case anyone goes looking for the Sheraton, it was sold and is now the Melia.

We will be leaving on Feb 27 so I will let you know how our tour is. We were booked at the Sheraton but they started construction to refurbish it on Feb 1. We changed to the Grand in the town. We are a little disappointed but don’t want to stay there with construction going on.

We will be leaving on Feb 27 so I will let you know how our tour is. We were booked at the Sheraton but they started construction to refurbish it on Feb 1. We changed to the Grand in the town. We are a little disappointed but don’t want to stay there with construction going on.

llund -- Some questions if you know -- what type of construction? rooms? lobby? when the construction is scheduled for completion? where did you find the start date? Thanks for your info.

I heard it from another cruise critic member and confirmed it with Diego. A friend of mine just stayed there and said it was run down. I heard the new owners will start renovations and a lot of the public areas will be closed. But I haven’t heard what areas they will be working on. The target start time was the 1st.

I heard it from another cruise critic member and confirmed it with Diego. A friend of mine just stayed there and said it was run down. I heard the new owners will start renovations and a lot of the public areas will be closed. But I haven’t heard what areas they will be working on. The target start time was the 1st.

That’s not good news for me either. I’m booked there the end of this month. Oh well. I’ll roll with the punches.

I’ll try to post a report here when I get there.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised- here’s a report on the Melia. I checked in this morning an will be here a few nights.

The place does need some refreshing. Tile on the main floor in good condition. Carpet on second and third floors needs replacing. There is staining from wear and what appears to be water leaks? (Totally guessing on that one). Walls need some good prep and paint. The interior has a sort of musty smell, like the jungle. Actually, it MAY be the jungle. It’s my first time in one.

The pool deck can stand refreshing. Over all pool itself looks fine.

The staff seems nice, Front Desk is attentive. Not surprisingly, food is expensive. Dinner in the dining room (all you can eat buffet parilla is 1500AR. It looks and smells great. Did dinner in the bar for a little over 300AR. If you have questions please ask.

Adding: recommend bringing a coverup for the pool area ( or use the changing rooms. There are no robes provided.)

Do bring a surge protector if you are planning on charging something. We’re having lightning storms now and the power keeps going off.

As promised- here’s a report on the Melia. I checked in this morning an will be here a few nights.

The place does need some refreshing. Tile on the main floor in good condition. Carpet on second and third floors needs replacing. There is staining from wear and what appears to be water leaks? (Totally guessing on that one). Walls need some good prep and paint. The interior has a sort of musty smell, like the jungle. Actually, it MAY be the jungle. It’s my first time in one.

The staff seems nice, Front Desk is attentive. Not surprisingly, food is expensive. Dinner in the dining room (all you can eat buffet parilla is 1500AR. It looks and smells great. Did dinner in the bar for a little over 300AR. If you have questions please ask.

Adding: recommend bringing a coverup for the pool area ( or use the changing rooms. There are no robes provided.)

Do bring a surge protector if you are planning on charging something. We’re having lightning storms now and the power keeps going off.

Has any refurbishment begun? What about the individual rooms -- any work done there?

What is the name of the bar you had dinner in? How far from the hotel? Thanks

Has any refurbishment begun? What about the individual rooms -- any work done there?

What is the name of the bar you had dinner in? How far from the hotel? Thanks

I see no signs of construction or other work. And I can’t speak on the rooms, other than mine.

The floors are tile, a more contemporary size, grout looks like it’s been there at least a year. The long narrow piece of furniture has some water rings from glasses. The HAL style closet looks like it’s been there. There’s nothing wrong with any of the room as far as I see, and I am happy with it. It just is not pristine, new construction.

The bar I referred to is the hotel bar. They have a food menu of pizzas and sandwiches along with appetizers. They run in the 300-400 peso range. That’s all I can handle. I’m a lighter eater and still full from Parilla 2 days ago.

Just talked to one of the guys at the Front Desk. Renovation begins next week, on guest rooms.

Looking closer at my room, it needs painting and some tiles need to be changed.

The tile in the entry (where it gets lots of use) has medium beige grout that looks pretty new (no darkening, dirt) which leads me to believe it was installed recently.

Breakfast was wonderful. Buffet, good selection of fruit, hot items, etc. And a view that cannot be beat.

This afternoon I noticed the locks gone from about 8 rooms on the second floor. One of the doors was ajar and you could see the beds and cabinets still inside. They are Falls view rooms, and in the center of the building, and that’s my best guess, Sherlock, for where they will begin.

Hi,

Pre-cruise stay at BA and Puerto Iguazu for next March. Besides Melia in the park, are there any good recommendation(s) near the fall?

Where would one go for good and longer than 40min tango lesson in BA? Is dancing in BA malonga hall at night safe for the ride back to hotel?

Many thanks for any info, suggestion, advice.

Will be checking out shortly. There are rooms on the first floor that have locks removed also. I have not been to the third floor.

They were taking out more mattresses yesterday and at least one of the rooms (where the door was left open) had electrical wires hanging free where the tv was. There are parts of the exterior that show signs of water seeping in. So it’s good they are remodeling. For me, there has been no problem and I would welcome the chance to return and stay again. YMMV

I asked at the front desk and the plan is to close half of the hotel ( the east side) and remodel there first. Then they will do the other side. They expect to be done in February 2019 or so, and will operate with the remaining half of the hotel until then.

We must have overlapped as I was there last week as well. I saw the staff replacing mattresses, fixing up the walls in the hallways - no noise that I heard.

I found the found at dinner in the main dining room delicious. We actually had several unique appetizers that we enjoyed. In the bar area on Thursday evening they had a tango dance show for us. You can order bar food there (cheeseburgers, etc). Shortage of chairs/tables since it was crowded so if interested, go early.

If you go to the lowest level where the spa is, you can ask for a robe to wear around the indoor giant hottub with 70 different positions using the many, many jets or use it for outside for the pool there. A few tiles missing in the outdoor pool floor.

You can organize tours at the hotel.

I will say that they went way above service when they helped out a friend of mine who way to leave the day after I left (I went to the other side hotel). She was sick the morning of departure, went to the airport and the airline would not let her board, called an ambulance to take her to the hospital. Someone called the hotel and they began calling all of us, who were no longer there (even calling me at my hotel) to get in touch with her family members. They gave us continual updates on her and had her cone back to the hotel after she was released and took great care of her. This hotel has superb customer caring and service.

As I mentioned, I also stayed across the river at the Belmond on the Brazilian side and thought it was gorgeous, extravagant, etc I felt that Melia was better. We could walk out on the level paths to the falls, the one side of the hotel was basically all glass for beautiful views. I would not hesitate to recommend the Melia