Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Good evening everyone. Have been off-line a bit due to rural living and internet service can be spotty on occasion. Like what everyone is working on. Have a great rest of the week, Sue

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I finished the cover for the back/head rest part of my DH's recliner. It slips over the top of the chair and goes down to the seat. The seat I all ready made a pillow to fit and covered that. Now he is very happy. The recliner is in the kitchen. Yes in the kitchen. a couple of years ago he had some surgery and needed to sleep in a recliner. But, he also wanted to be able to watch TY, and eat his meals from the chair. So, I put the recliner in the kitchen, and there it has stayed. He enjoyed it so much, that I said leave it there. So, now one of our kitchen chairs is the recliner. The funny thing is when a work man (cable man etc.) comes into the house, one of the first things that they say is , "I wish my wife would let me do that!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A question for those who use a serger. When sewing pants, do you serge the leg seams together, or do you serge each piece and then sew them together with a regular sewing machine? Or, do you first sew the seam together with a regular machine, then go back and serge the seams? Is one method better than another?

I sew the seams with a straight stitch, try on for fit, press open if desired, then serge each piece separately if open. Sometimes I serge the front and back pieces together, depending on the style of the pattern, or even the type of fabric. I find that I like the serger to also trim the seam allowances to about 3/8".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sew the seams with a straight stitch, try on for fit, press open if desired, then serge each piece separately if open. Sometimes I serge the front and back pieces together, depending on the style of the pattern, or even the type of fabric. I find that I like the serger to also trim the seam allowances to about 3/8".

What I have been doing is sewing the seam first with the regular machine. Then serge the seam closed with the serger, with the serger trimming off the edges. I do mark my seam allowance befor sewing.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been sewing a pair of pants. The pattern is McCall's 7164.

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7164

Making it with this fabric.

http://www.joann.com/nicole-miller-twill-fabric-parrots-black/14746200.html

The pattern has wide legs, front waist band and the back has elastic in the band.

I cut the pants out and matched the parrots at the outside side seams. Sew the pattern the way that they said. Now, I was going to finish the back waist band with the elastic.. Well what do you know! Not enough material to fold down and make the casing! So, I get the paper patter out and lay the front down and they put the back on top of it to see the lengths. Well, the pattern was off.

Now I got to the Viking sewing store to have them check (nice ladies they all ways help me out). They saw the same thing that I did. The back pattern piece was short.

I ended up adding a two inch piece of fabric to the back to form the casing. I was lucky because when I folded the casing down the new seam ended up in the inside of the pants. You can't see it from the out side.

Has this ever happened to any of you, that the pattern was wrong?

Good afternoon everyone. Don't know if this is allowed, if not delete as required. I was checking the Burdastyle.com for fun and discovered that they have a "free" sew along of a maxi dress. The pattern is included. This class is running until Sept 4th?

Watching the video and discovered that Coats makes a thread that has a bit of stretch to it! Also picked up some pattern grading tips.

Have a great week everyone,

Sue

• 1 month later...
Good afternoon everyone. Don't know if this is allowed, if not delete as required. I was checking the Burdastyle.com for fun and discovered that they have a "free" sew along of a maxi dress. The pattern is included. This class is running until Sept 4th?

Watching the video and discovered that Coats makes a thread that has a bit of stretch to it! Also picked up some pattern grading tips.

Have a great week everyone,

Sue

Did you take the class? If sew, how was it?

I am just finishing up a skirt and bag. Thinking of my next pair of pants that I want to sew. I would like to know from all you sewers, what is the part of sewing that your don't really like to do. Mine is cutting out the fabric. I guess this is because I am very picky about matching prints when cutting. So, it takes me a long time to cut. Sew, what is the part that you don't like the best?

I am working on long sleeve dolmans and pajamas right now. I hate neck bands. They just seem to take so much time for a little piece of fabric. Sleeveless tops are the worst with 3 bands. I actually like cutting patterns and will cut a bunch of tops in one sitting. I put the pattern pieces in zip lock baggies and label them. Then I can sew them as I have time.

Lisa

The thing I least like to do is hand sewing. I am not very good at it and so I put it off until I can't anymore.

I haven't been doing any sewing lately just altering and mending things.

Hoping to get time to make some cargo shorts for myself in the next couple of weeks for our upcoming cruise.

Hope everyone has a great week next week,

Gerry

RedHaedTexan,

That is a great idea to cut out patterns and put them in a zip lock baggie. I just love that. I brought a cutting table because my back would hurt leaning over a regular table, so mow I can cut out more that one pattern.

Tangaloha,

I also don't like to do much hand sewing. Only if I have too.

Good afternoon everyone. Sorry about the delay in responding to queries, having internet issues (this summer has been the worst for us) so not doing much cc updates etc.

With having issues, some difficulty with on line classes (and CE webinars for my work [emoji34]) what I did catch of the Burda course was interesting a tip I do remember is if you need to grade up a size or 2 add the difference between the size to the cutting line ie if the difference between the size 16 and 18 is 1/4 inch and you need a size 20, add 1/4 inch to that seam/cutting line

Now for least favourite sewing task- in no particular order button holes, zippers and hemming [emoji41]

In case you are wondering, I am at work grabbing lunch and wifi [emoji851]

Have a great week,

Sue

RedHaedTexan,

That is a great idea to cut out patterns and put them in a zip lock baggie. I just love that. I brought a cutting table because my back would hurt leaning over a regular table, so mow I can cut out more that one pattern.

Tangaloha,

I also don't like to do much hand sewing. Only if I have too.

I am fortunate that our kitchen table is counter height, so I can cut there without straining my back. Walt fell in love with that table at the showroom. He is 6'5" and is more comfortable in the taller chairs than a regular table. For me it's the perfect cutting table since I can have two 24x36 cutting mats on it. That gives me a 48x36 cutting surface. I have a piece of packing tape on the bottom to keep them from sliding apart. I cut everything with a rotary blade.

Lisa

I am fortunate that our kitchen table is counter height, so I can cut there without straining my back. Walt fell in love with that table at the showroom. He is 6'5" and is more comfortable in the taller chairs than a regular table. For me it's the perfect cutting table since I can have two 24x36 cutting mats on it. That gives me a 48x36 cutting surface. I have a piece of packing tape on the bottom to keep them from sliding apart. I cut everything with a rotary blade.

Lisa

That sounds like a great table. Much better to cut on. How do you cut rounded edges with a blade?

That sounds like a great table. Much better to cut on. How do you cut rounded edges with a blade?

It is a rotary blade, so it spins around as I follow the pattern. I have the self healing mats on the table so I don't slice it. The rotary cutter has made the cutting process a lot faster.

It is a rotary blade, so it spins around as I follow the pattern. I have the self healing mats on the table so I don't slice it. The rotary cutter has made the cutting process a lot faster.

You must have a very steady hand. I can use the rotary cutter only on straight cutting with the use of a quilter's ruler.

• 3 months later...