How do YOU handle time changes?

Herfnerd

We are sailing out of Seattle in 24 days, flying out of Charlotte the evening before and just wondered what people do to handle the jet lag. I know its only a 3 hour difference, and I have never had much of an issue adjusting to time changes but my wife, on the other hand, is more a creature of habit and normally goes to bed around 10-10:30pm which means, she'll be hitting that wall around 7pm PST - 6pm when we're in Juneau!

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how some of you handle this issue - would hate for her to get most of the way through our cruise before she syncs up to local time.

We're spending a few days in Seattle post cruise, too - and then a day to recover back home.

As commonly discussed on many of the boards here, you stay active (say, out walking around) to as close as possible to your standard bed time in the new time zone. Sitting down in front of the TV is a killer.

We have used this through dozens of trips over the years.

As commonly discussed on many of the boards here, you stay active (say, out walking around) to as close as possible to your standard bed time in the new time zone. Sitting down in front of the TV is a killer.

We have used this through dozens of trips over the years.

Thanks - apparently the search parameters I used wasn't quite right so I thought I'd ask......

Might be a bit late for you but when flying west or overnight I try to find flights that land in the evening - it forces me to adjust to the local time straight away! Otherwise as the previous poster said - force yourself to stay up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just force ourselves to stay up and keep active. This is usually a non issue domestically as 3 hours is minimal but means we have to go for tours or walk when we do Europe. It is 9 hours often coupled to an overnight flight. Also try and move your meals to there normal times. Don't forget to change your watch.

Might be a bit late for you but when flying west or overnight I try to find flights that land in the evening - it forces me to adjust to the local time straight away! Otherwise as the previous poster said - force yourself to stay up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our flight departs from CLT at 6pm and is a non-stop that arrives at SEA at 8:38pm - but it'll feel like 11:38pm for us - at least we got that right when we booked flights some time back.....

Our flight departs from CLT at 6pm and is a non-stop that arrives at SEA at 8:38pm - but it'll feel like 11:38pm for us - at least we got that right when we booked flights some time back.....

Actually that should work well. By the time you get luggage and get to your hotel it will be after 9:00, perhaps closer to 10:00 depending on where hotel is. Take some time getting ready for bed, maybe a late night snack, although maybe too late for that already. By 11::00 your now back to a regular bedtime and can get off to a normal AM start.

We try and take a flight that lands in the evening the day before and force ourselves to stay up and keeping active helps. Also drink lots on water on the flight! Many believe this really helps, it seems to help us!

A couple days before your flight to Seattle, phase in your sleep time. Going to Bed later and getting up later. By the time you get to Seattle and on your cruise, you will be adjusted to the West Coast time.

My routine:

#1: Upon boarding the plane, I change my watch to whatever time it is at my destination.

#2: Upon arrival and after check-in at the hotel, I keep active, usually with a pre-planned list of what to do/see/where to drink or eat until it is close to my "usual" bed time at home. Then, I go to bed.

Does this work? Yes, most of the time. One very long flight (Singapore-San Francisco with a 2 day layover at San Francisco, then a flight to Dayton via Detroit), it did not work. It took me 8 days to recover from my jet lag.

Upon arrival, keep active and get some sunlight. After dinner, take some time in your hotel room to unwind. Then you can go to sleep a little earlier than usual. In the morning, you will feel great and be ready for vacation. For me, switching meal times sometimes takes a few days, however.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

It's only 3 hours. It's not that big of a deal. If you were going to Hong Kong or Tokyo then thats a different story, but 3 hrs really isn't.

Its not an issue for me - never had any problems adjusting to time changes when traveling to Europe. My wife, OTOH........