Onboard PCs and printing - Silver Shadow

les37b

Under normal circumstances, I'd usually use an iPad or my surface Pro to do anything I might need to do which I'd made sure was kept to a minimum. At most, usually just something with photos or video, or surfing the net.

Without going into the detail, my next trip means I will have to do a small amount of work (so staff get paid.)

I would need to get a few A4 sheets printed...

Is there access to a printer when needed? If yes, connected to a desktop we can use? Or ability to print from a laptop?

The thought of having to do some work while away is a pain, but without it, we probably couldn't have picked what we have.

Incidentally.... is it likely being away from home will cause issues connecting to internet banking?

Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by les37b

What ship? I am fairly certain that all ocean liners have this facility. I don't know about the expedition ships.

Oops! Yes that might have helped! I'll amend if still time.

Silver Shadow.

Paper size not a big issue.

I am 99% certain Shadow will have the necessary facilities.

As for internet banking: This could be a challenge if your bank's computer system doesn't like the "foreign" (shipboard/satellite) source of the transaction. In my experience, banks and other financial providers are very risk averse, given fraud issues, etc. I would be far less sanguine about executing payroll through a bank from the ship.

I am 99% certain Shadow will have the necessary facilities.

As for internet banking: This could be a challenge if your bank's computer system doesn't like the "foreign" (shipboard/satellite) source of the transaction. In my experience, banks and other financial providers are very risk averse, given fraud issues, etc. I would be far less sanguine about executing payroll through a bank from the ship.

Ok many thanks.

If we can do all the necessary required that will be helpful. I agree about the potential issues with banking which was the reason for the question. I guess I can see how it works using a VPN which I fully expect it will object to and give an indication.

Any other month and not an issue... but this one spans a tax year!

I need to check how sage responds too. As it stands, we can do a work around giving the bank access to someonecat home.... as long as we can do the necesary to calculate, then that would suffice.

Failing that, I'll have to have a rethink. It wouldn't be the end of the world to estimate and do adjustments later. Won't be the end of the world either way. But good to know to plan ahead.

Many thanks

Les,

When I sailed on the Shadow in May I planned on doing business onboard. It didn't turn out all that well, but yes, there is ONE printer and ONE PC available in the computer room next to the library. I suspect that the folks in reception would probably print something for you, also.

Internet banking was more problematic for me because I have two-factor authentication (2FA) on my business banking accounts and the delays in satellite communication would not let me connect with 2FA. I eventually turned off 2FA for the period of the cruise and it made me very nervous. I'll point out that there were no issues at all when I was in port and had a good cellular connection.

What really squashed my business was that my process requires a notary at one point and it flabbergasted me that not only wasn't there a notary on the boat; the hotel administration did not even know what a notary was. My fallback of going to a notary while in port failed completely in Japan, and only partially successful in Alaskan ports.

If you can do your banking when you're in port you'll be fine. Are you going to be in port each day? What cruise are you on?

Les,

When I sailed on the Shadow in May I planned on doing business onboard. It didn't turn out all that well, but yes, there is ONE printer and ONE PC available in the computer room next to the library. I suspect that the folks in reception would probably print something for you, also.

Internet banking was more problematic for me because I have two-factor authentication (2FA) on my business banking accounts and the delays in satellite communication would not let me connect with 2FA. I eventually turned off 2FA for the period of the cruise and it made me very nervous. I'll point out that there were no issues at all when I was in port and had a good cellular connection.

What really squashed my business was that my process requires a notary at one point and it flabbergasted me that not only wasn't there a notary on the boat; the hotel administration did not even know what a notary was. My fallback of going to a notary while in port failed completely in Japan, and only partially successful in Alaskan ports.

If you can do your banking when you're in port you'll be fine. Are you going to be in port each day? What cruise are you on?

Thanks for that Rick.

Well, I just did a few tests that give me a little more confidence. I just ran using a USA VPN and ok connecting to sage, box and her bank account.

So I went one stage further and used a Vietnam VPN and it worked fine on all. The bank has several security things to pass, however, when doing transfers of funds it does often kick in with an extra layer of security and send an SMS with a 6 digit code.

So with that in mind and the help given, I can feel confident everything should work apart from that potential last layer if it kicked in. So with that in mind, I can set up payments (so staff will be paid) which will happen a day later, giving me the chance to cancel should I be successful, or be happy in the knowledge that I won't return home to a revolt by staff not paid!

Cruise only calls in Vietnam - so I suspect I might have a problem using my phone! Ships internet for the first time ever, may be my only internet source apart from before embarking in Singapore and disembarking in Hong Kong.

Ah, you're doing Singapore to Hong Kong. Well, I'm doing the reverse this October. I'll check out how my phone works in each port and report back. Anything else you need?

Yes. The itinerary is a bit sparse with 3 sea days which I definitely would have preferred less of and only 3 port stops. (I much prefer waking up each day in a new place to explore - but it is what it is.)

Yours looks nicer. Not just longer, but I would have preferred not starting in Singapore. Have been to your other stops, but would be great to revisit. There wasn't even an airport on Samui the visits Ive had and the only way over was a train to Surathani (sp) and up to 6 hours crossing from Ban Don and potential pirate boardings! Those were the days! Unspoilt and adventure! I'd imagine I wouldn't recognise Koh Samui in the slightest now. I doubt the arrivals are even greated with cries of Lamai and Chawang anymore and civilisation and 4 and 5 star hotels iscwhere it's at now. No more beach bungalows for 50p a night!

I'm sure I can come up with lots of questions for you! I'm puzzled what the "free excursions" are, which I am assuming is more than the usual bus into town from the dock. Plus of course any tips you can think of from the actual stops themselves. I have no idea where the ship docks in relation to the towns. I'm sure you will have lots of good advice once you've been.

I'm certainly hoping the drone can be used in Ha Long Bay, but of course acutely aware of where I would be. It certainly has been done and you tube is full of clips and looks awesome.

Ho Chi Min looks spectacular too but I won't be doing, though I will check and it is is possible, then who knows!

Have you info on Visas? I've read so many conflicting reports ranging from £6 each day to £150 and two stages of which one is an online pre approval and then further fee on arrival. I suspect the latter is for prolonged stays on land and not applicable to day trippers unless you are doing the tours which take you off the ship for a couple of days.

Edited by les37b

I just got my passport back from traveldocs.com who solved my China visa issue. That cost about $200. They said that the Vietnamese visa would be issued on the boat and that I should bring a passport photo with. I think it is $50.

You have "free excursions?" I don't. My excursions add up to almost $4k. Other than the bus rides downtown. Which ones are free for you?

Cheers Rick and Silver Spectre.

Wow thats a lot of excursion costs!

On the SS website it says "Far More in the Far East: Book by 30 September, 2017 and benefit from reduced air fares + free shore excursions**

It has that on your cruise and mine. All very vague.

Looking into it, Visas are not required for Singapore, Hong Kong or Macau and if SS are dealing with Vietnam, it seems the only Visa I'd need would be China, should I want to cross the border for a couple of hours. If thats going to cost us $200 each, I might get the T-Shirt without "been there, done that". Its not like I have lots of time to do everything I want to do in Hong Kong. We'll see.

According to the SS documentation, a visa is only needed for cruises that include Beijing and/or Shanghai.

Rick, is that from your my.silversea documents? Understandably nothing is showing up in mine yet. Not a big deal either way if as mentioned elsewhere a "day" visa is $6. Better still if covered and dealt with fully by SS.

On the subject of those free tours though. I am able to view in my.silvesea all the tours with the exception of Ho Chi Minh (which is still locked). However, for Da Nang it shows an 8 hour excursion for "Anchient Hoi An" and 3h 15m to "Marble Mountain and beach" for zero cost. And in Ha Long Bay a 4 hour cruise in a Junk - which undoubtedly would be something I would have chosen. I've not looked at the pay ones yet, but will do so. I wouldn't want to be somewhere and miss something special.

Les, I can't find the part about China - I have both the Tokyo - HK and HK - Singapore legs, so my.silversea now shows that I need a China visa, but wrt Viet Nam, I'll paste the entire section on Viet Nam:

Vietnam

All guests are required to have a visa for Vietnam. Silversea Cruises has arranged to obtain visas for all guests transiting this country. Your shipboard account will be charged the visa fee imposed by the respective country. Guests doing an independent overnight excursion (not booked through Silversea) must have an individual visa forVietnam prior to boarding.

No mention of cost, though. I've seen the cost mentioned elsewhere; if I come across it again I'll bring it back here.

Les, I can't find the part about China - I have both the Tokyo - HK and HK - Singapore legs, so my.silversea now shows that I need a China visa, but wrt Viet Nam, I'll paste the entire section on Viet Nam:

No mention of cost, though. I've seen the cost mentioned elsewhere; if I come across it again I'll bring it back here.

All very confusing. Given we are in Vietnamese waters for 6 days, I'd expect I'd not be in transit and excursions on day trips would be irrelevant... but I saw mention that things are different if your excursion involves an overnight on land.

It'll come out in the wash.

A friend of mine did a princess cruise from Dubai to Singapore. It had one stop in India and they were charged £150 per person for the visa and you couldn't avoid even if you didn't leave the ship! The immigration people had it easy. They were on board from Dubai and having a wonderful time! lol