Getting from Lower Westchester to Pier 88 - suggestions?

NYC Teach 498

Uber or a pre arranged limo or ask a willing participant to drive you but pay them of course

It's such an easy drive down the Henry Hudson to the west side and back

If you get a friend/relative to drive you don't forget to add in time/energy/tolls when paying them. $75 or $50 would be my offer depending on exactly where you are coming from in lower Westchester.

Both white plains as well as yonkers qualify to be lower Westchester but wp takes a lot longer on the saw mill than most of yonkers does

However these days uber is my first consideration

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uber or a pre arranged limo or ask a willing participant to drive you but pay them of course

It's such an easy drive down the Henry Hudson to the west side and back

If you get a friend/relative to drive you don't forget to add in time/energy/tolls when paying them. $75 or $50 would be my offer depending on exactly where you are coming from in lower Westchester.

Both white plains as well as yonkers qualify to be lower Westchester but wp takes a lot longer on the saw mill than most of yonkers does

However these days uber is my first consideration

Thanks so much for your response. The drive is super-easy but I don't want to pay to leave my car and I'm getting picked up when we return. I've driven there so many times....lol. I'm an Uber newbie...how reliable are they if you reserve ahead of time? (I'm also a nervous Nellie...hahaha!)

You can't pre-reserve Uber. If you want to pre-reserve, it would be best to book a car service.

You actually can, my sister did it for a ride to the airport. She wasn't able to choose xl as an option, fortunately she and her 3 kids and luggage were able to squeeze into a small car.

Maybe it varies by location, but we were in LV last month and we could NOT pre-book Uber. We've never had more than a 14 minute wait for an Uber. You can check it out now and get a cost estimate and compare that to a car service. I know you said you didn't want to, but Metonorth/cab is the easiest and probably the most economical.

Maybe it varies by location, but we were in LV last month and we could NOT pre-book Uber. We've never had more than a 14 minute wait for an Uber. You can check it out now and get a cost estimate and compare that to a car service. I know you said you didn't want to, but Metonorth/cab is the easiest and probably the most economical.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. [emoji4]MetroNorth, unfortunately, is a huge hassle for me. I'd have to take a cab there, drag my luggage through Grand Central, get another cab, etc. Uber is too unreliable from Westchester (3 people I've spoken to have had last minute cancellations and been left scrambling). I think I'm just going to go with Dial 7 and pay the $69 + tip. Better safe than sorry. Again, I thank you so much for taking the time to respond. [emoji4]

$69 plus tip is a great price. Do you have to pay the toll too? Does the Henry Hudson still even have the toll? Or are they doing the cross Bronx versus the cross County?

Also I thought dial 7 was for rides originating in NYC. You can use them starting in Westchester?

$69 to MCT, from Westchester Co. is a fair & reasonable price (especially if it's upper & east) as it is quite a bit of mileage from Dial 7 - also get a quote from Carmel ... which we use mostly, usually a notch or two lower. Pre-book them in advance to assure vehicle & driver is assigned and dispatched, call them 1 or 2 hours prior to scheduled pickup just to reconfirm the dispatcher (as it's computerized at the base).

Henry Hudson parkway has (always) a toll over Riverdale - EZ Pass rate is $2.64 as it's otherwise Toll by Mail (completely cash-less) at $6.00 per crossing, either way.

BA sails on a Sunday, and traffic in the morning even on the Cross Bronx/I-95 South route (before 9:30 or 10 AM ... unless weather or major accident, etc.) - or, come down Major D. (I-87 South & take the exit for the GWB for the Lower Level (only) to go south on the Henry Hudson, thus avoiding/saving on the toll.

There is another short cut for us "locals" - coming from Cross County to I-87 South, take the Fordham Road exit & cross over to Inwood, Upper Manhattan for Dyckman Street to Riverside Drive, and pickup the on-ramp (past the bridge toll) & merge on the Henry Hudson Pkwy & straight to MCT. A good, experienced car driver from Carmel or Dial 7 should know about & driven that route - Waze or Google Navigation, maybe not ... just a few local traffic lights going thru Inwood (this is actually an alternate to the beginning/end of the Harlem River Drive @Dyckman St.)

Driver of the car service typically will use the shortest route, however, but you can always ask & suggest a different one - if they know & agree ... without getting lost just to save a few bucks. Happy cruising !

$69 to MCT, from Westchester Co. is a fair & reasonable price (especially if it's upper & east) as it is quite a bit of mileage from Dial 7 - also get a quote from Carmel ... which we use mostly, usually a notch or two lower. Pre-book them in advance to assure vehicle & driver is assigned and dispatched, call them 1 or 2 hours prior to scheduled pickup just to reconfirm the dispatcher (as it's computerized at the base).

Henry Hudson parkway has (always) a toll over Riverdale - EZ Pass rate is $2.64 as it's otherwise Toll by Mail (completely cash-less) at $6.00 per crossing, either way.

BA sails on a Sunday, and traffic in the morning even on the Cross Bronx/I-95 South route (before 9:30 or 10 AM ... unless weather or major accident, etc.) - or, come down Major D. (I-87 South & take the exit for the GWB for the Lower Level (only) to go south on the Henry Hudson, thus avoiding/saving on the toll.

There is another short cut for us "locals" - coming from Cross County to I-87 South, take the Fordham Road exit & cross over to Inwood, Upper Manhattan for Dyckman Street to Riverside Drive, and pickup the on-ramp (past the bridge toll) & merge on the Henry Hudson Pkwy & straight to MCT. A good, experienced car driver from Carmel or Dial 7 should know about & driven that route - Waze or Google Navigation, maybe not ... just a few local traffic lights going thru Inwood (this is actually an alternate to the beginning/end of the Harlem River Drive @Dyckman St.)

Driver of the car service typically will use the shortest route, however, but you can always ask & suggest a different one - if they know & agree ... without getting lost just to save a few bucks. Happy cruising !

Thanks so much for your reply. [emoji4] I'm actually in Lower Westchester- 700-1000 feet from the Bronx - Carmel is almost an hour north of me. I'm going to tell the driver to take the Henry Hudson and go straight down the West Side Highway. On a Sunday morning there is rarely traffic on that route as I regularly take the same route to the GWB. It's definitely worth the peace of mind. [emoji4]

Thanks so much for your reply. [emoji4] I'm actually in Lower Westchester- 700-1000 feet from the Bronx - Carmel is almost an hour north of me. I'm going to tell the driver to take the Henry Hudson and go straight down the West Side Highway. On a Sunday morning there is rarely traffic on that route as I regularly take the same route to the GWB. It's definitely worth the peace of mind. [emoji4]

The "Carmel" in the post you quoted refers to the name of a car service, Carmel Limo, not the name of a town.