St. Barts: Media Profile, Our Experience, Pix's!!

TLCOhio

From the Washington Post in late October, they have this headline: "Visit a Caribbean island — but which one?" with this opening summary highlights: "Think 'Caribbean,' and images of palm trees, aquamarine seas and fruity drinks with umbrellas typically come to mind. But scratch the surface, and you’ll find distinctly different vibes, landscapes, weather and attractions defining the region’s more than 7,000 individual islands."

For St. Barts, this story notes "This French-speaking island attracts the yachting crowd, hosting an annual invitational sailing regatta open only to 100-foot-plus vessels. Party at Nikki Beach, stay at Eden Rock Hotel, shop for an Hermès scarf in Gustavia, get a facial at Le Guanahani’s spa and keep an eye out for Justin Bieber, Paul McCartney, Ellen DeGeneres and a bevy of other celebrities known to visit the island."

Lots of details in the profile for various Caribbean options. This story helps hype interest to enjoy the Caribbean, again, as the winter cold rolls into the Midwest.

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/youve-decided-to-visit-a-caribbean-island--but-which-one-heres-our-island-by-island-guide/2016/10/27/39f897e0-9168-11e6-9c52-0b10449e33c4_story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,236 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

St Barts is overrated and overpriced because it's considered a chic destination for the jet set celebrity crowd and with prices to match. It's very nice but if your looking for a French Caribbean island then Guadeloupe and Martinique are nice too, much cheaper and with more to do. But if you do head to St Barts, villa rentals don't necessarily need to break the bank. I've rented in the off season and waited till last minute (about one week prior) to book one, at that point anything available, which there always are in off season, you can get lower rates. We had a 3bd villa with private pool for €250/night, asking price was €500/night, so we got it for half price last minute.

St Barts is overrated and overpriced because it's considered a chic destination for the jet set celebrity crowd and with prices to match. It's very nice but if your looking for a French Caribbean island then Guadeloupe and Martinique are nice too, much cheaper and with more to do. But if you do head to St Barts, villa rentals don't necessarily need to break the bank. I've rented in the off season and waited till last minute (about one week prior) to book one, at that point anything available, which there always are in off season, you can get lower rates. We had a 3bd villa with private pool for €250/night, asking price was €500/night, so we got it for half price last minute.

Appreciate this great follow-up and the details for your booking success in getting good, more reasonable rates for nice accommodations. Agree that St. Barts is over-priced. BUT, if I was "rich", I would not consider it "over-rated"." We enjoyed what we saw and sampled there during our limited time there. Great suggestions for Guadeloupe and Martinique. We have not been to either of these Caribbean locations, but they sound very good to consider.

THANKS this wonderful sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 22,847 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 month later...

From Conde Nast Traveler earlier this month, they have this headline: "How to Plan a Low-Key Trip to St. Barts" with this sub-head: "Contributor Amanda Brooks swears that a no-frills St. Barts still exists, and tells us how to find it."

Here are a few key story details: "I’ve returned to St. Barts countless times for vacations and work. Though the island has changed over the years, becoming synonymous with yachts, blinged-out celebrities, and extravagant New Year’s Eve parties, there’s still a soulful, understated side to St. Barts that I prefer to this newer, Dionysian one. Recently, I’ve started taking my own family here, visiting during May and October, when the weather is perfect (not too hot and with little rain) and there aren’t any crowds. (I wouldn’t dream of going in high season, November through April.) On the last several trips we’ve rented a house, always eating one meal at home—grocery stores are excellent and stocked with French cheeses, meats, and wine—and one meal out. Every day we go to a different beach, all of them extraordinary and never packed. To have a week of eating well, hiking, and swimming and snorkeling in some of the world’s most beautiful water is still worth the white-knuckle landing, as frightening today as it was that first time 32 years ago."

Here are a couple of other tips, ideas from this CN profile:

Where to Swim: Grande Saline. It’s the island’s iconic wide white-sand beach, with lovely swimming. (Nudists, keep to the left.) It’s centrally located, a ten-minute drive from most hotels and close to Le Grain de Sel, a great Creole spot for a post-beach lunch

Le Select: A local go-to with the best burger on the island. You order at the counter and sit at plastic tables. It’s a must, even if just for a beer after the beach.

There is also below a NY Post story on "How the biggest celebrities spent New Year’s Eve" with these details from St. Barts: "The most over-the-top New Year’s Eve bash on the jet-set circuit was once again Roman Abramovich’s soiree in St. Barts, where guests welcomed 2017 as Sir Paul McCartney sang 'Auld Lang Syne' with Jimmy Buffett. The Beatle had climbed onstage as a surprise performer earlier in the evening during a set by the Killers held in a villa in the Gustavia section of the island. The rock ’n’ roll icon was also spotted dancing up a storm with his wife, Nancy Shevell, on the villa’s terrace overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The Russian billionaire’s other guests included model Karlie Kloss, Stella McCartney, actress Carey Lowell, Calvin Klein, Jann Wenner, photographer Johnny Pigozzi, and John McEnroe and his wife, Patty Smyth. John Legend — in white-tie attire and sitting at a grand piano — performed for well-heeled revelers at Nikki Beach St. Barts."

Full stories at:

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-to-plan-a-low-key-trip-to-st-barts

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/02/how-the-biggest-celebrities-spend-new-years-eve/

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 64,783 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• 4 months later...

Below is a connection for the live/blog from our March experiences in doing this fun "adventure". This includes our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction.

Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. It will be on the Silversea Cruise Critic board.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 2 months later...

HOW WAS OUR LATEST ADVENTURE??!!: Just got back in late June from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites!

Below are a few "samples" to prove the value for exploring these wonderful areas on a nice ship. The central/connecting part was an eleven-day, very port-intensive cruise from Lisbon to Rouen/France on the highly-enjoyable Silversea Silver Spirit. For many more pictures and full details, check out this live/blog:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,404 views for these postings.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

• 1 month later...

From the New York Times Travel Section in the past couple of days, they have this headline:After Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Island with these highlights for St. Barts: A European Union territory and hideaway for the rich and famous, St. Barthelemy took a beating, including its first hotel, Eden Rock, where guests have included Greta Garbo, Howard Hughes and Bono. The resort, owned by David and Jane Matthews (Pippa Middleton’s in-laws), was closed for annual maintenance when the storm hit, but the damage was such that its early October re-opening has been postponed until further notice. The scramble is on to rebuild for the winter high season.

Any other added information and background as to the current conditions and future timing affecting this scenic and charming area?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio

We were going in November. It's a wait and see thing, according to the cruise line. I had booked a ferry trip thru the line to St Bart's and a snorkeling excursion from there. I have not tried to contact the operator, as I'm sure that communications are not great, and time to spend on a computer could best be used as time taking care of things at home right now. I will probably try in a week or so.

This was shaping up to be my favorite excursion. We've been to St M 3 times and so I wanted to do something different. I would like to be optimistic about them being ready, but I want them to take care of themselves and their needs first. They can keep my money....they need it more than me right now.

We were going in November. It's a wait and see thing, according to the cruise line. I had booked a ferry trip thru the line to St Bart's and a snorkeling excursion from there. I have not tried to contact the operator, as I'm sure that communications are not great, and time to spend on a computer could best be used as time taking care of things at home right now. I will probably try in a week or so. This was shaping up to be my favorite excursion. We've been to St M 3 times and so I wanted to do something different. I would like to be optimistic about them being ready, but I want them to take care of themselves and their needs first. They can keep my money....they need it more than me right now.

Great to know you have had a nice range of experiences on St. Barts. But, sadly, it is not "over" for this scenic part of the world. This morning, there is the CNN headline: "Hurricane Maria: 'Significant' strengthening likely as storm nears land". Here is their quick summary: "Hurricane Maria is forecast to rapidly strengthen over the next two days as it takes aim at Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma just days ago. Maria has prompted a hurricane warning for Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat."

Sadly, this latest storm that will complicate even more the cruise ship folks in trying to figure out their schedules of port stops during the peak winter season for the eastern Caribbean. Good luck with your upcoming trip.

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americas/atlantic-storms-maria-jose-lee/index.html

Now at 53,186 views for these postings.

Here is the CNN graphic this morning for the direction of Hurricane Maria as it heads to the Caribbean.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%208.32.40%20AM_zpsbr7voa9z.png

From what I have gathered PR which is the lifeline for the islands affected by Irma, at this time is thought to be in line to receive a direct hit by a category 3 hurricane. Some of the relief efforts have even haulted because of Maria as PR prepares for it.

Here is more as to what is hitting these scenic islands. Very sad and challenging situation with above details from another CC Board thread. We will all hope for the best, but "two-in-a-row" are too, too many dire happenings.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Category 3 Maria takes aim at the Caribbean islands leveled by Irma with these story highlights: The National Hurricane Center in Miami says that Hurricane Maria has strengthened to a Category 3 storm and was 'rapidly' intensifying into a major hurricane. The eye is expected to move through the Leeward Islands later Monday. The storm's center was about 60 miles east of Martinique, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph. The storm is on a path that would take it near many of the islands wrecked by Hurricane Irma and on toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Hurricane warnings were posted for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat and Martinique. A tropical storm warning was issued for Antigua and Barbuda, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Lucia.”.

Below are a couple of their graphics to better show where this storm is headed, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895266/Hurricane-Jose-pound-East-Coast-week.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,278 views for this posting.

From the Daily Mail, here are the graphics/charts showing the Hurricane Maria path and direction.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.10.50%20PM_zpsscq8lopb.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.13.19%20PM_zpsetac5mq8.png

Did a search this morning to check for any updates on St. Barts and how they are recovering after the two hurricanes that passed through these eastern Caribbean areas.

From the New York Times print version today, they have this headline: After Maria and Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Island with these highlights: A European Union territory and hideaway for the rich and famous, St. Barthélemy took a beating, including its first hotel, Eden Rock, where guests have included Greta Garbo, Howard Hughes and Bono. The resort, owned by David and Jane Matthews (Pippa Middleton’s in-laws), was closed for annual maintenance when Irma hit, but the damage was such that its early October has been postponed until further notice. The scramble is on to rebuild for the winter high season.

Will be on the look-out for more details during the coming weeks. We are all hoping for the best for these challenged areas and peoples.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/travel/maria-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?_r=0

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 2 months later...

From the New York Post this morning, they have this headline: Celebs will still hold holiday parties in St. Barts, despite hurricane damage with these highlights: Some celebrities who go to St. Barts every winter are making other plans because of the devastating damage done by Hurricane Irma. But, in a show of solidarity, such regulars as Jimmy Buffett, Paul McCartney, Ronald Perelman and Leonardo DiCaprio are expected at the former French colony. And Johnny Hallyday, beloved in France as 'the French Elvis,' will be buried there soon, having spent the past 10 winters on the island with his family. One source said. 'About 25 percent of the houses still need repairs, but we are expecting more yachts in the harbor.'

Interesting background. Look forward to hearing more and seeing the fun visuals from St. Barts during the New Year's Day holiday period. Good luck to those on this island and for the other affected Caribbean locations.

Full story at:

https://pagesix.com/2017/12/10/celebs-will-still-hold-holiday-parties-in-st-barts-despite-hurricane-damage/?_ga=2.8739445.1550141870.1510114143-95022451.1509411512

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,156 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 year later...

Have been looking at some early February 2019 cruise options that would include a key stop in St. Barts.  Yes, in the middle of the winter, we will need some "heat" and sunshine.   BUT, then there are budgets to consider??!!  We just completed our Jerusalem/Holy Lands, Egypt/Valley of the Kings,Petra/Jordan, Oman, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc., exploring.  And, in late July 2019, we will be doing a combination of a western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail-Vancouver-Alaska trip.  Not cheap, but all of these great locations will be firsts for us to be visiting.  These scenic western and NW regions have long been on our priority, to-do wish lists.  

To see our most recent trip live/blog for this history and religious “adventure”, check out these postings linked below.  We started in Athens, Greece on Nov. 14, then traveled various locations connected with three of the world's major religions.  Many fun and interesting visuals on this live/blog!!  Below are just a few, quick visual samples.    Check it out and let me know any questions or comments.  Just over 6,000 views so far on this live/blog. 

Connect to our latest exploring at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg

• 6 months later...

From the New York Times yesterday, they had this headline: “House Hunting in … St. Barts” with this sub-headline: "Nearly two years after Hurricane Irma, the tiny Caribbean island has regained its footing among the region’s most sought-after locales."

Although this article is mainly about real estate available in St. Barts, it does offer a number of insights for cruise ship visitors.  Here are more of those highlights: “The 10-square-mile island of St. Barts, surrounded by white-sand beaches and shallow reefs, was hit hard by Hurricane Irma in September 2017. Housing prices were not affected, although transactions slowed as the island recovered. The island’s infrastructure has generally recovered, although two major hotels remain closed as they undergo renovations.  St. Barts properties typically sit 'deeper' in investors’ portfolios — not as first or even second homes — so homeowners there tend to be better equipped to withstand economic hits like hurricanes.”  Interesting background and insights for this unique and famed location. 

Here is a little more info from this NY Times article: "There are 'no bad areas' on St. Barts. The island’s western tip, Colombier, offers sunset views over Colombier Bay and the Atlantic, while Flamand is popular for its white-sand beach. Pointe Milou, in the northeast, has dramatic cliffs and views, and Saint Jean has more tourist attractions."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/realestate/house-hunting-in-st-barts.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 222,458 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: “50 best islands in the world” with this background sub-head: "Over 5,000 people took part in a poll to compile a ranking of the 50 best islands from around the world". 

St. Barts gained high honors with this story highlight: “A small French island in the Caribbean, St Barts comes in at number 35 on the list. Its full name is Saint Barthélemy and Big 7 Travel says: 'With its beautiful beaches, world-class resorts and stunning scenery, it's the perfect getaway from the stress of big cities and 9-5 life'”   Congrats to St. Barts!!

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7507787/The-50-best-islands-world-2019-revealed-Iceland-Washington-State-Scotland.html

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska

• 2 months later...

From Travel and Leisure magazine yesterday, they had this headline: “50 Best Places to Travel in 2020” with spotlighted attention as a top option for: St. Bart'sl.  T+L rates these top areas as "must-visit vacation destinations, and with something to suit every interest — food, shopping, culture, history, and nature."

Here are some of the story highlights:   "When Hurricane Irma pummeled St. Bart’s in 2017, it put most of the French territory’s hotels out of commission. But after a slew of improvements and renovations, the island is back in business. November marked a new chapter for the fabled Eden Rock, which originally opened in the 1950s as the first luxury hotel in St. Bart’s. Fresh off a two-year overhaul, the island’s iconic resort harks back to its early days with 37 beachy-retro rooms featuring bold colors and midcentury modern furniture. A brand-new spa offers seaside treatments featuring locally made Ligne St. Barth products. In Gustavia, Barrière, the hotel group behind Le Majestic in Cannes, will debut Le Carl Gustaf in February. Situated on a hillside, the 16-room property will feature suites with sea-view terraces and private plunge pools, as well as the restaurant Shellona, which marries Mediterranean and Caribbean culinary traditions. " 

Glad that we enjoyed St. Bart's in 2015 to gain a sampling of these world-class sights and locations.   Reactions and comments from others who have recently visited St. Bart's?

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2020

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 28,905 views.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, TLCOhio said:

From Travel and Leisure magazine yesterday, they had this headline: “50 Best Places to Travel in 2020” with spotlighted attention as a top option for: St. Bart'sl.  T+L rates these top areas as "must-visit vacation destinations, and with something to suit every interest — food, shopping, culture, history, and nature."

Here are some of the story highlights:   "When Hurricane Irma pummeled St. Bart’s in 2017, it put most of the French territory’s hotels out of commission. But after a slew of improvements and renovations, the island is back in business. November marked a new chapter for the fabled Eden Rock, which originally opened in the 1950s as the first luxury hotel in St. Bart’s. Fresh off a two-year overhaul, the island’s iconic resort harks back to its early days with 37 beachy-retro rooms featuring bold colors and midcentury modern furniture. A brand-new spa offers seaside treatments featuring locally made Ligne St. Barth products. In Gustavia, Barrière, the hotel group behind Le Majestic in Cannes, will debut Le Carl Gustaf in February. Situated on a hillside, the 16-room property will feature suites with sea-view terraces and private plunge pools, as well as the restaurant Shellona, which marries Mediterranean and Caribbean culinary traditions. " 

Glad that we enjoyed St. Bart's in 2015 to gain a sampling of these world-class sights and locations.   Reactions and comments from others who have recently visited St. Bart's?

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2020

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 28,905 views.

If anyone goes to St. Barth's, they won't want to ever visit another island. Well, maybe Anguilla? Or Sir Richard's island. And, it is possible to visit St. Barth's without being a gazillionaire although it'll take a bit of detective work, sort of like trying to break the Swiss banking system, not quite, but doable. Similarly, they just don't want anyone to know. After all, one of the most famous and best places to eat there is a salad and burger joint called Le Select. It obviously does cater to the .001% but...don't let that keep you away.

Gorgeous variant beaches, hilly terrain to hike, varied cuisine, quiet. I hung out at the bar for sunset at Carl Gustaf, name never changes...a friend worked there. The view is spectacular, breezy, beautiful. The suites are sort of built into the hill and rise sort of like it was Amalfi or Cinque Terre, but in the Caribbean. You just have to want to be in Gustavia, but then you're kind of near to Shell Beach, not a bad thing. Eden Roc is near the airport and over by St Jean, particularly beautiful beach, it sparkles in a mixture of blues and greens that blend like I've rarely seen. I wasn't so keen on that location but...it's been updated so imagine it's much improved. 

Liked La Saline and La Petite Saline beaches. Locals knew where the tidal pools were to swim into, but some climbing was required to get to them, though it wasn't too bad. Not sure I could manage now but it isn't so necessary. Grand Cul de Sac was very flat, low, and still, by the Sereno hotel....nice to swim in. 

Look for places to hear live music with afro-caribbean-jazz vibes in the outdoors. Perfect. Get a rental somewhere in the hills; you may get stuck listening to some loud roosters. Go anyway Hitchhike. No worries. It's perfect. 😎 

20 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

If anyone goes to St. Barth's, they won't want to ever visit another island. Well, maybe Anguilla? Or Sir Richard's island. And, it is possible to visit St. Barth's without being a gazillionaire although it'll take a bit of detective work, sort of like trying to break the Swiss banking system, not quite, but doable. Similarly, they just don't want anyone to know. After all, one of the most famous and best places to eat there is a salad and burger joint called Le Select. It obviously does cater to the .001% but...don't let that keep you away.

Appreciate these great comments, details and follow-up from Host Colleen.  You summarized very well much that we super enjoyed and sampled during one evening, plus a full day to explore in and around St. Barts.  As posted earlier, we got to enjoy the fun environment at Le Select during the evening time.  Keep up the great sharing by all on this thread.  Don't be shy with any and all comments, questions, etc.

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,131 views:

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

From the Boston Globe Travel Section earlier this week, they had this headline: “St. Bart’s is back, and better than ever” with this sub-head: "After Hurricane Irma leveled it, the island has made a grand return."

Here are some more of the story highlights: “A year after Irma roared through I started hearing that St. Bart’s had already pulled off an incredible recovery, but I needed to see it myself. Honestly, what were the chances that it would take only a year or so to fully come back from the first category 5 hurricane to ever hit the Leeward Islands?  Not only was I relieved that the island had come back, I was astounded that it looked even better than the last time I was there. Unsightly power lines were buried, narrow winding roads were widened, and hotels and restaurants had taken the opportunity to rebuild better than before. As my ferry lurched into the capital city of Gustavia, I could see that all the high-end boutiques were back and the restaurants were crowded with locals and the first throngs of holiday season tourists.”

Nice, personal reporting about his experience over the years at St. Bart's.  Good, positive news!!!

Full story at:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/09/lifestyle/st-barts-is-back-better-than-ever/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 227,841 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 7:55 PM, NYHartChapp said:

Thanks for a very interesting review of St. Barths.  We are booked on a cruise to visit in December 2021...hopefully it will cruise.  Lots of helpful tips in your posts.

How did things go in St. Barts from your December 2021 visit??  Any other updates from those who have been there recently?  Appreciate any and all comments and follow-ups.  Don't be shy!!

From the below-connected website media source, they had this headline: Billionaires Clash Over the Future in a Caribbean Eden with these highlights about St. Barts:Midwinter on the Caribbean island of St. Barts is a kind of second hurricane season. December’s annual landfall of billionaires and celebrities was a Cat 5, with Leonardo DiCaprio, Mike Tyson, the world’s biggest mega-yachts, and Jeff Bezos and his girlfriend canoodling in their bathing suits.  But in the midst of this glitter cyclone, a judge hurled the latest volley in a legal battle that has pitted billionaire against billionaire, and human development against fragile nature on this playground for the one percent. The court ruled that a company headed by the American hotelier Denise Dupré must stop construction of her second luxury hotel on the island.  The ruling might signal a turning point in the hyper-development of this tropical Arcadia for the rich. For four decades, two cultures have shared the biome of this tropical 'little pebble,' as the French royals once called the island. Most of the current island natives are French-speaking descendants of a clan of Normandy peasants and enslaved people who arrived on the agriculturally inhospitable outpost in the 17th century.  The islanders’ forebears survived centuries during which power passed back and forth between pirates, England and France — and even 100 years of Swedish rule — before settling into the modern era, first as part of the French overseas department of nearby Guadeloupe, and now as a self-governing collectivité still operating under French law. Until 40 years ago, jobs were scarce. St. Barts itself wasn’t electrified until the 1980s.  The newer colonists — American and European celebrities and Wall Street tycoons — who, like the other non-indigenous species on the island, have proliferated without predators, are the socioeconomic descendants of the Rockefellers and the Rothschilds. The latter sailed onto this arid, minimally populated speck in the late 1950s, were charmed and built a pair of Xanadus on mountaintops overlooking azure waters.  Forty years after the island was electrified, St. Barts is the setting for a theater of conspicuous consumption. The pace and scale of development has brought jobs and made millionaires of local landowners, real estate developers and house flippers. It has also brought traffic, water pollution, dead reefs, housing shortages and, some scientists and locals say, pushed the island’s ecosystem to a tipping point, beyond which it cannot return.

Interesting summary and background details for St. Barts and its unique history.

Full story at:

https://dnyuz.com/2022/03/02/billionaires-clash-over-the-future-in-a-caribbean-eden/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 94,639 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

The above-cited, highly-detailed article was actually adopted and borrowed from the New York Times Travel Section published this weekend.

Here are some more of their reporting highlights:This little island conflict begs a bigger question: If arguably some of the world’s wealthiest and most sophisticated people can’t or won’t protect the air, water, coral reefs and sea turtles around their own playground, how can anyone reasonably expect humanity to protect the planet?  President Bruno Magras, whose first job was pumping gas on St. Thomas, has been managing the island for 27 years, since before it became independent of Guadeloupe. A canny, charming and sometimes belligerent character, he presided over a three-decade economic transformation unlike any in the Caribbean. In the 1990s he founded and owned a local airline, St Barth Commuter, until transferring ownership to his children in 2017.

They noted, with interesting humor: "St. Barts’ official bird? Some say the construction crane."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/travel/st-barts-hotel-development.html

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,492 views:

• 1 year later...

From the Arizona Republic newspaper this morning, they had this headline: St. Barts: Idyllic Caribbean hideaway isn't just for the rich and famous. with these highlights:This chic and sophisticated French island in the Caribbean 110 miles east of Puerto Rico isn’t just a playground for the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Jeff Bezos, Paul McCartney and the Kardashians.  It’s also emerged as a travel destination where the not-so-rich and famous can experience a little taste of French joie de vivre without crossing the Atlantic.  Nothing matched the charisma of St. Barts. The island offers some of the best white-sand beaches in the Caribbean, gourmet dining, a downtown full of luxury boutiques and upmarket jewelry stores and dozens of multimillion-dollar superyachts anchored in its harbor — evocative of the French Riviera.

Here is more from this story:  "St. Barts doesn’t attract hordes of tourists like some of its neighboring islands. There are no direct flights from the United States or Europe, no high-rise hotels and its harbor is too small for mega-cruise ships.  Just how small? St. Barts is only 8.5 square miles. It takes just over an hour — without stops — to circle the entire island via car. "

Full story at:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/destinations/2023/03/15/st-barts-oceania-cruises/69994469007/

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,792 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337