San Pedro Area Convenience Stores (Pre-Cruise)

orphaned

Hi there, we are staying at Best Western Suites Plus, San Pedro (Gaffey Street) the night before our cruise. Just wondering if there are any convenience/liquor stores within walking distance where we might be able to get a few snacks, a couple of bottles of wine, or any of those things that get left behind at the last minute (toothpaste!), etc. I understand we are allowed one bottle each to take on our Princess cruise. We are flying NZ to LA, with limited luggage and don't want to carry anything more than we have to! We might also be in need of a "pick-me-up" type refreshment after that awful long flight over. Any help/recommendations gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Hi there, we are staying at Best Western Suites Plus, San Pedro (Gaffey Street) the night before our cruise. Just wondering if there are any convenience/liquor stores within walking distance where we might be able to get a few snacks, a couple of bottles of wine, or any of those things that get left behind at the last minute (toothpaste!), etc. I understand we are allowed one bottle each to take on our Princess cruise. We are flying NZ to LA, with limited luggage and don't want to carry anything more than we have to! We might also be in need of a "pick-me-up" type refreshment after that awful long flight over. Any help/recommendations gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Wouldn't be my choice of hotels in San Pedro...but...

There is a 7-11 mini-mart virtually across Gaffey Street (be careful for traffic)...

About 4 blocks down Gaffey (at 5th), there s a Rite-Aid drug store (and drug stores and supermarkets in California sell liquor). If you want really good wine, head to Off the Vine on 6th, just across Pacific. If you just want a bite to eat and/or a drink at night, head a little further down 6th--to the San Pedro Brewing Co.

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Open late...great food, craft beers and other drinks...

Of course, you are now about eight blocks from your hotel, so, depending on how much you've had to drink, you may want to take a taxi or an Uber back...

Thanks Steve, hopefully it will be ok for just the one night. But ... what you recommend?

It might be nice to walk a few blocks after that long "sit" over.

Cheers

Wouldn't be my choice of hotels in San Pedro...but...

There is a 7-11 mini-mart virtually across Gaffey Street (be careful for traffic)...

About 4 blocks down Gaffey (at 5th), there s a Rite-Aid drug store (and drug stores and supermarkets in California sell liquor). If you want really good wine, head to Off the Vine on 6th, just across Pacific. If you just want a bite to eat and/or a drink at night, head a little further down 6th--to the San Pedro Brewing Co.

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Open late...great food, craft beers and other drinks...

Of course, you are now about eight blocks from your hotel, so, depending on how much you've had to drink, you may want to take a taxi or an Uber back...

• 1 month later...
..... there s a Rite-Aid drug store (and drug stores and supermarkets in California sell liquor).....

I guess that includes beer. Is there a cutoff time for purchasing, like 12M or 1AM?

I'm thinking of staying in San Pedro on my next visit to L.A., and picking up a 6pack of Heineken will make me a happy camper. :D

• 4 weeks later...

2:00 am...

In California, you cannot sell alcohol by drink or by package between the hours of 2:00 am and 6:00 am...

Archaic, a bit silly in a way...but that's the law...

The State Senate just passed a bill that would extend it to 4:00 am...but subject to local law...But that bill would still have to pass the State Assembly...Stay tuned...

Thanks for your help, Steve.

When I pop open the 1st can of the 6pack, I'll toast you! :cool:

And I have to say, San Pedro looks like a nice alternative to downtown LA.

Nothing wrong with downtown, but San Pedro seems more "pedestrian friendly".

And I'll check out that pub/restaurant you mentioned. The menu selections look heavenly!

Thanks Steve, hopefully it will be ok for just the one night. But ... what you recommend?

The Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza and the DoubleTree Hotel San Pedro.

The Best Western isn't in a great area and not a place I would wander about on foot at night.

If you can switch, great; if you can't, most likely you'll survive.

The Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza and the DoubleTree Hotel San Pedro.

The Best Western isn't in a great area and not a place I would wander about on foot at night.

If you can switch, great; if you can't, most likely you'll survive.

I have stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 times and find the location perfectly fine. If you are uncomfortable in this location, perhaps you should not be traveling at all.

I have stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 times and find the location perfectly fine. If you are uncomfortable in this location, perhaps you should not be traveling at all.

I am sure your vast experience in staying 2 or 3 times makes you more qualified to understand the area than locals.