luggage allowance (how strict)

Sailing on the Dream in 3 days time :D however I'm struggling to get my packing down to 23Kg which is stressing me out!!:( This is a 2 weeks trip or just over. While I know there's a laundry service I like to wear different clothes not just cleaner ones. Anyone know how strict Thomson are on luggage allowance at check in. Cheers

I did see one couple taking stuff out of the suitcases and transferring it to their hand luggage. They are very strict.

• 3 weeks later...
how do they go on then with the airlines that have 30kg bag limits ????? ,how do they handle overweight bags that people have paid excess baggage charges on ????

You have to take more than one case.

You have to take more than one case.

NO ive done long hauls where the individual allowed bag

weight was 30kg ,also like i said if your bag is overweight they are happy to take it for a big fat excess weight fee.

NO ive done long hauls where the individual allowed bag

weight was 30kg ,also like i said if your bag is overweight they are happy to take it for a big fat excess weight fee.

Some airlines do allow more than 23Kg as you say, but EU airports have a limit for baggage handling of 23 Kg per case so the handling company at check in could refuse it. In most instances they don't and just put a 'Heavy' sticker on the case.

Thomson, however, state that no case will be accepted over 23Kg, and if extra weight has been purchased then it must be spread over additional bags to avoid any bag exceeding the statutory 23 Kg.

Is the 23kg limit not a health and safety regulation for the benefit of the baggage handlers at airports ?

Yes it is, it's an EU H&S regulation, but some handling companies such as Swissport seem to ignore it. My son did a brief temporary spell at Luton Airport and it was regularly ignored, and a lot of the baggage handlers had suffered injuries because of the very heavy cases.

• 2 months later...

I know the original poster has probably had their holiday now but I just thought I'd mention this,,we flew back from Malaga yesterday. 20th August,,we had 25kg each and the cruise allowance hand luggage...I am terrible at packing and always take far too much. On the way out we were couple of kgs under but yesterday at check in our 2 cases and 1 bag combined were 6kg over! They didn't bat an eyelid! I breathed a sigh of relief but can't help wondering if it's a game of chance and luck.