Hotels NYC

CrusinCyndi

We are sailing June 2018 on the Gem. We will be flying in the day before.

Does anyone know of any hotels that would pick up at the airport? If so, which airport? LaGuardia or JFK?

A few years ago we sailed on another line and we flew into EWR and took the hotel shuttle to the port, but it seems only 1 hotel is doing that now and the price is almost $300 for 1 night. I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. We have done all the tourist things in NYC several times, so we are looking for a hotel more to rest our heads, we are not interested in sight seeing. We would plan on taking a cab to the port.

Thank you for any informaton.

Virtually every hotel near any of the three area airports offers free shuttle between the airport it is closest to and the hotel. No airport hotels offer a free shuttle from the hotel to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

We don't recommend staying at a hotel near JFK as they are regularly used as temporary housing for displaced and homeless families. Fly into LGA. and stay at a hotel near that airport.

Thanks for the info !

I went and booked the Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport at Citifield/Flushing. It says it's at 37-10 114th st in Queens.

Anybody have any knowledge of this hotel?

We will fly into LaGuardia and they will pick up at the airport and take us to the hotel. The hotel has breakfast and also an indoor pool. The price was good..

We will have to take a taxi to the port for around $30, does that seem right ?

Also since we are flying from Chicago, the airfare was $200 cheaper to LaGuardia then to Newark.

So, I am hoping I made a good choice.

... booked the Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport at Citifield/Flushing. It says it's at 37-10 114th st in Queens.

We will fly into LaGuardia and they will pick up at the airport and take us to the hotel. The hotel has breakfast and also an indoor pool. The price was good ... a taxi to the port for around $30, does that seem right ? ... hoping I made a good choice.

Someone cruising out of NY stayed there last year or year before, found some of the older post/thread here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2082730&highlight=Holiday+Inn+LaGuardia

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2086541&highlight=Holiday+Inn+LaGuardia

Hotel is actually in the Corona section, about 10 minutes west of downtown Flushing, overlooking nearby Flushing-Corona Park (1964 World's Fair) and is closer to LGA. It's in a largely residential area, nothing nearby - maybe a local deli. Any plans for dinner ?? after LGA arrival - might be limited to pizza or Chinese takeout delivery, etc. (airport food court is open till 8 or 9 PM as most flights are gone by then)

Almost all of the hotels serving LGA have free shuttle services (airport closed for flights, midnight to 6 AM) - right now, until further notice due to airport major redevelopment ... you need to take a free 5 minute airport shuttle (Green route) to a pickup lot for hotel & other shuttles, including car service/limo/Uber, etc.

If you are happy with the price, that's good & know your requirements - indoor pool is a bonus, many in this area do not. Cruising the Gem, I would recommend a car service, like Dial 7 or Carmel - it's flat rate (won't be able to find a cruising yellow taxi in that area at all) unless you go back to the airport. Fare is about $40 to the pier + $8.50 for bridge toll and tipping (we usually do 20% for good service).

It is about 5 or 6 city blocks from the nearest, elevated subway station stop on the #7 line to Times Square & Hudson Yard (newest station) near the pier, so if you travel light - it is possible, just FYI. Sorry, unlike Brooklyn's Red Hook Pier, no ferry services.

I am guessing you got a better rate than the Fairfields and the Marco is probably higher - check those rates among them from time to time in case they are lowered (cancel & rebook or get a price match, etc.) - with more properties opening in the coming year in the downtown Flushing area, about 2 miles from the HI booked.

Edited by mking8288

Follow-up, found my old scouting pictures of some of the hotels nearby, just for visuals. Holiday Inn Express & 2 Fairfield.

The last one with Comfort Inn is new near the courts and convenient for away from JFK for a possible simple overnight stay, easy to do subway & car service. Have not check reviews & ratings, stumbled on it while doing jury duty recently. Please research as it's all F.Y.I.

60ffa1ad8950fc2fe82040f13249bcd4.jpg57bf67fec9fdebbacb729b347445e291.jpge9f6e685a0be2e007a103611835606e8.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I am having second thoughts on what we booked. Can anybody tell me about Holiday Inn Express North Bergen Lincoln tunnel ?

Also, which airport would be best to fly into? They don't have airport pickup or shuttle to port so I am wondering also what the cost would be for those ?

Edited by CrusinCyndi

I am having second thoughts on what we booked. Can anybody tell me about Holiday Inn Express North Bergen Lincoln tunnel ?

Also, which airport would be best to fly into? They don't have airport pickup or shuttle to port so I am wondering also what the cost would be for those ?

If you are staying in NJ it makes sense to fly into Newark, it's always costly to go under or over the river to and from NYC.

I don't know anything about this hotel per se, only the location. It's on a very heavily trafficked two-lane road (Tonnelle Avenue) in a semi-industrial area. Certainly not convenient in any way, shape, or form if you're flying into LGA or JFK, and really not all that convenient if you're flying in EWR.

You'd need a car service from EWR to the hotel, and yet again from the hotel to the pier; any money you'd save on lodging, you'd more than exceed in transportation costs.

The only fast food around that NB HIE is a Taco Bell, maybe 1/2 mile walk and not really safe to walk alongside that busy Rt. 1-9, look at Google earth for 360 view.

For your budget & needs, Corona HIE is fine. Otherwise, check the Courtyard by M. in Long Island City, don't think they will be cheap or do free LGA shuttles. There are other hotels in that area including Best Westerns, free shuttles might not be offered but it's on the #7 subway line stop via Q70-SBS at LGA.

Rank your priorities & total travel costs, not just hotel's.

69cbc4eb7a9511215393389f93757a49.jpg

9e39839bda52f7c634646d22ab3f6700.jpg

e812f8e37ee84d832f37fe7ac46836f2.jpg

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

For June 1 I've found the Newark downtown Courtyard on United.com for $100 nonrefundable plus tax. Airport shuttle is available. Free wifi and a well rated hotel, but it is in downtown Newark. Also the Robert Treat in downtown Newark for $104 with free airport shuttle, free train station shuttle, free wifi, and free breakfast. I have stayed there and would do so again.

This would give you money for a car service to the pier or the option to take an inexpensive cab to Newark Penn Station, pay $5.25/pp for the train to New York Penn Station, and a cab to the pier for under $15.

I would never consider paying to get to the Holiday Inn in North Bergen for a one night stay precruise. Route 1&9 is the Tonnelle Ave truck route and IMO the area is even less appealing than the EWR area.

Wondering if we are ok. Booked Hilton Penn Station and coming in 2days early before October Cruise. Thinking we can use train to get some places. Was going to do hop on hop off bus for at least one day. Want to see the area. Anyone that's been there before do you think will this work out ok? Or any better suggestions? Looks like Hilton has free airport shuttle from Newark airport. Need to get from Hilton to cruise port figured out yet. Thanks!

Wondering if we are ok. Booked Hilton Penn Station and coming in 2days early before October Cruise. Thinking we can use train to get some places. Was going to do hop on hop off bus for at least one day. Want to see the area. Anyone that's been there before do you think will this work out ok? Or any better suggestions? Looks like Hilton has free airport shuttle from Newark airport. Need to get from Hilton to cruise port figured out yet. Thanks!

I think you'll be fine. You get the free airport shuttle plus direct access to Newark Penn Station for NJ Transit trains and PATH.

Do your homework to understand the transportation system maps. There are trip planners available for NJ Transit and the NY Subway.

NJ Transit big picture - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

PATH - https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

NY Subway - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Light rail - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Uber is an option for the port. Plan to get there between 10 and 10:30.