Lima, Peru, Puerto Callao details question

sandpiper35

Our cruise ship will be staying over night in Puerto Callao, Peru, close to Lima. We have a number places we plan to visit in and around Lima both days. The question is for those that have experienced this type of stay in Lima. How long is the drive from Callao to Lima center? What in your experience is a best plan, stay in the ship and travel back and froth from Puerto Callao to Lima or stay in a hotel over night in Lima, close to the attractions?

What tours and places did you find worth while to visit?

We have heard that transport leaving the port itself in Callao is difficult due to limited transport out of the port grounds. We hear port authority does not let private tours enter the port grounds, and ship passengers are restricted to use only the shuttles provided by the ship, in and out of the port.

Specifically we are cruising Celebrity Infinity in March from Valparaiso to Ft Lauderdale.

Sorry for so many questions but the more we read the more ???? come to mind.

Thank you in advance.

We did an overnight last December on Princess. The port is disorganized and private companies are not allowed to enter but Princess provided free busses to the outside the port fence for meeting taxis or to closer into Lima where they dropped you off at a large park next to a shopping center (Plaza San Miguel) to meet excursion vans. The first day that was a bit of a mess (we were on the first Princess cruise of the season so that may have contributed) with drivers not sure where to drop off passengers outside the fence. Those going to the transfer point had an easier time. Shuttles ran back and forth to the Plaza San Miguel until close to midnight if I remember correctly. The second day the drivers and passengers were much better prepared.

We had two wonderful and totally exhausting days of touring with Haku Tours (http://www.hakutours.com/tourscruise.php). On the first day we didn't get back to the ship until after 10:30 because we went to see the laser and water fountain show (absolutely breathtaking) and then got caught in frenzied pre-Christmas shopping traffic (actually it seemed that all traffic in Lima is frenzied!). On the first day we did Visit the Inka Pyramids of Pachacamac + Lunch in Local restaurant + City Of Kings and Queens Tour + Local tapas + Magic Water & Lasers. On the second day we did Lima's Colors + Flavor Tour: Barrranco& Chorillos Towns. It looks like the latter has been replaced on their 2 day tour but I would highy recommend asking to do the Lima's Colors and Flavor Tour on the second day.

The only passengers that I know of that didn't spend the overnight on the ship were those who flew out to Machu Picchu for a 2 night excursion. They met the ship at our next stop in San Martin.

Edited by capriccio

The drive between port and city is forty five minutes to one hour depending on traffic.

I would only do this via a tour and not on your own.

Tours meet outside the port gate.

Lima is a beautiful city with lots to see.

Plaza Mayor, which is the official center of the city and the original site where Lima was founded.

Historical Cathedral.

IMG_0784.jpg

Church of San Francisco (Saint Francis Church) to see it library collection of fine paintings. You can also visit the Catacombs inside the church.

Often you can select a tour to visit mansion. We visited Casa Aliaga, Lima's oldest colonial mansion. It was build in 1535 and has been the home to 18 generations of descendants. It was amazing.

IMG_0768.jpg

As you walk around the city you will see many beautiful buildings.

IMG_0779.jpg

Another interesting area is in the newer part of Lima which is Milafores.

IMG_0794.jpg

There will be lots of options for lunch.

There are also many museums to visit. This was one of them.

Larco Herrera Museum. It holds a gold and silver collection from ancient Peru.

We have visited downtown Lima on three different occasions and there os so much to see.

Be careful of your possessions. Leave jewelry on the ship and wear a travel walled. It's a beautiful city but there is crime as you find in certain cities around the world. Also the area near the port is very bad. In fact, there are portions of the area that the police won't even go to. I would avoid taxis and as I said I highly recommend private tours.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
I highly recommend private tours.

I have a fantastic private guide in Lima to recommend. His name is Aaron Paiva Leyton and here are two reviews that I did.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44260580&postcount=12

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42288448#post42288448

He will meet you & drop off at the cruise ship gate in Callao.