Ventura library

beachmad123

The libraries on both Ventura and Azura can hardly be called libraries, they are so small compared to some of the other ships in the fleet. I always take my Kindle but I do like to visit the library to see if anything there appeals to me. I should be prepared with books or a Kindle rather than rely on the Ventura library.

• Like 1

Agree with Annie that the library is quite small but if you go at the beginning you'll got a better choice of books. There's a mix of different genres of fiction and non-fiction with quite a to of travel books as you'd expect. However like Anie, we take our Kindles fully stocked as it saves so much weight as well

Unfortunately the well stocked Library you used to get on P and O ships has fallen foul of the Bean Counters who see it as potential income earning space! The wonderful Library on Aurora was stoeln by Sindhu, not that I object to Sindhu, but the Library was then squished into the old cyber study (not needed now everyone has phones and ipads) and there isn't enough room for the books, let alone the jigsaws!

Ventura and Azura have tiny "Libraries" that are just a joke.

I've noticed a change in the P&O ship libraries over the years and not just in their size and range. Unless you visited within the first 24 hours of boarding, the libraries had an appearance that they had been subject to a burglary. On our last few cruises on Britannia (which I think has a reasonable library), it has looked relatively untouched throughout. I draw absolutely no conclusions based on the markedly changing demographic of P&O ship passengers in recent years, especially on the more modern super ships :)

The exchange table is usually just inside the library. I've occasionally come across some interesting books there. Useful if you have some paperbacks that you don't really want to take home with you. On Azura there was a bookshop almost next door to the library. Hardly anyone seemed to be buying things - don't know why it's there, would have been much better using it to have a bigger library. I don't remember a similar bookshop on Ventura when we were on her in January.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Sir Cumference said:

Could someone please tell me where the library is situated on Ventura? Many thanks!

You cant miss it, it has 5 computer terminals, half a dozen brochures and maybe a dozen books, although I could be exaggerating.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

I'm so sorry - I seem to have upset one or two people. I simply "googled" "where is the library on Ventura and this thread came up. My apologies if I've resurrected a 3 year old thread but I didn't look at the date - only the information I'd requested. I suspect if I'd started a new thread, I'd also have upset someone because there was an already existing thread. It seems I can't win whatever I do!

Don't worry about that! Its fine. 🙂

Plus, a round of applause for that user name! Very clever.

43 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

I'm so sorry - I seem to have upset one or two people. I simply "googled" "where is the library on Ventura and this thread came up. My apologies if I've resurrected a 3 year old thread but I didn't look at the date - only the information I'd requested. I suspect if I'd started a new thread, I'd also have upset someone because there was an already existing thread. It seems I can't win whatever I do!

I would rather answer a thread that's any age even if we have to bring it up to date .

Much better than having six or seven locked off and a new one one the same old.

Glad we could help  ,nothing for you to be sorry about .Have a nice day :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Sir Cumference said:

Don’t worry about it. I did it myself last week with an 18 month old thread!

2 hours ago, Sir Cumference said:

Absolutely don't apologise - no harm done. Like Monorail Orange, I love your name! Jane. X

On 8/16/2017 at 11:06 AM, beachmad123 said:

Can anyone tell me what sort of books I can find in the library

Also is there a good selection of thrillers . Just wondering if I need to bring my own

Thks

Usually a fair mix of well-known authors, bios and auto bios, a fair few thrillers,  and lots of chick lit. I always take my own though because I like really gory murders and they don't have many of those. Jane.x

• Like 1

The library was really not too bad, January/February 2020, so almost Ventura’s last sailing.  I was going to elaborate on the types of work available 

but then I realised - they won’t reopen it at the moment, will they?  

The computers can be wiped down between users but the pages of the books can’t 

Are public libraries operating just now?  I don’t think I will be borrowing in the near future, though I suppose they have sufficient stock and space to quarantine items between borrowings

13 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

The library was really not too bad, January/February 2020, so almost Ventura’s last sailing.  I was going to elaborate on the types of work available 

but then I realised - they won’t reopen it at the moment, will they?  

The computers can be wiped down between users but the pages of the books can’t 

Are public libraries operating just now?  I don’t think I will be borrowing in the near future, though I suppose they have sufficient stock and space to quarantine items between borrowings

Not sure about ships libraries after July 19th but most public libraries are open now.At ours you have to sign in etc and are only given 15 minutes to look round but better than being shut.Venturas library (like other ship libraries) also has a selection of reference books, including travel books which I find useful sometimes though you can't remove them from the library.

• Like 2