any bad experiences with taxis?

Itchy&Scratchy

My friend is refusing to disembark at Cozumel because she had a horrendous experience with the taxi drivers during her last cruise to Cozumel.

Her family wanted to go to a free or reasonably priced beach, and the taxi drivers demanded $240 to take 6 of them to a "free beach which includes beach chairs". She tried to negotiate the price with other drivers, and they were yelling at her and nobody wanted to take them to any beach for less money.

When they got to the beach, it was very bad and the chairs were extra $15 each.

Has anyone else have any bad experiences like that? We were in Cozumel in 2009 with this same friend, and I don't remember any outrageous taxi prices. I do believe that we paid about $20 each way. The beach was underwhelming, but it didn't have rickety chairs for $15.

I am interested in Monkey Bar or Paradise beach. Still in a process of researching.

Could the driver have been asking for 240 Mexican pesos instead of $240? Do they ask for dollars or pesos? I'd think dollars, since most of us are American?

Cabs on Coz are fairly well regulated and efficient - something I cannot say about the crooks in Philly! :( The only issues I have had involved seat belts that were cut and/or knotted -- I just chose the next cab in line with working seat belts. Remember - the laws of physics apply everywhere! ;)

There is a rate board posted near the cab line for each pier with the fares to most of the popular tourist spots listed. Paradise Beach is a popular, large, pay as you go beach club with great facilities and a HUGE pool. Admission/chair rental is $3 each and the cab fare fro up to 4 passengers in the taxi is about $17 each way.

I agree with the above - she must have been quoted the fare in pesos (which also uses the $ symbol). Cozumel is one of the easiest and safest cruise port in the world. :cool:

Thanks!

Yes, I am a car seat safety nut, so I've had a couple of problems with the FLL taxi drivers who don't believe in seat belts either. Even for 4 year old passengers. :(

I checked the rates and that's what gave me the idea that the taxi driver may have asked for 240 pesos, but my friend thought that he was asking for $240. In the end, she paid $240 and was extremely upset.

We are definitely going to a beach in Cozumel! I am getting a full face snorkeling mask.

Money Bar offers good snorkeling from the shore, plus good facilities, food, service and drinks - but no sandy beach or water toys. You might consider heading to MB for an hour or two (plus some "refreshments" :cool:), and then grabbing a taxi to PB for the rest of the day.