Tipping

FluffyFiFi

I have met many people who think they are better because they are in a suite or balcony. We choose an inside cabin as we would rather spend our money in other ways, but have met those who seem to think they are better because they have paid more. We avoid the subject whilst on the ship these days. I agree that everyone should pay the same in tips regardless of cabin price. I just wish they would include it in the fare and call it what it is - a service charge.

Strangely the snobs I've met on cruises have generally been in the cheaper cabins.

As I've said about 3 times now this could all be resolved if the gratuities were included in the fare, but I won't be holding my breath until they do.

Yes there are snobs in any group and also those who know better than the Captain!!

I have noticed some of these so called snobs act like that to hide their inferiority complexes.

IMO there is no reason for anyone on a cruise especially to think they are better than another cruiser.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I have met many people who think they are better because they are in a suite or balcony. We choose an inside cabin as we would rather spend our money in other ways, but have met those who seem to think they are better because they have paid more. We avoid the subject whilst on the ship these days. I agree that everyone should pay the same in tips regardless of cabin price. I just wish they would include it in the fare and call it what it is - a service charge.

I don't think P&O are going to change anytime soon even though a lot of us think that they should include it in the price. The worst example of not paying that I came across was on Azura a few years ago, at dinner a lady on the next table to us announced very loudly that she find' t pay tips because she had paid extra to everyone else as she was in a suite.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people do take off the auto tips and if it got to the stage whereby too many were doing this then P&O would have to look into this more closely.

We have only been cruising with P&O for about 7 years, so can anyone say when P&O introduced this form of tipping? I suppose it caused a great deal of conflict then like it does now.

I also would like tips included in the cost of the cruise.

Sorry but do not assume that everyone does the same as you and in the order your preference. To some price is very relevant and the first thing in most minds.

No one spends that sort of money without reading further than the price. If you are correct some people, buying on price alone must end up on any cruise line, any ship going anywhere. Do people wanting to go to Andalusia end up in Benidorm because it's a bit cheaper. It's fantasy.

David.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people do take off the auto tips and if it got to the stage whereby too many were doing this then P&O would have to look into this more closely.

We have only been cruising with P&O for about 7 years, so can anyone say when P&O introduced this form of tipping? I suppose it caused a great deal of conflict then like it does now.

I also would like tips included in the cost of the cruise.

Auto tipping came in after freedom dining as it is clear no one will tip every night.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

Auto tipping cane in after freedom dining as it is clear no one will tip every night.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Dai is correct. Freedom dining was the catalyst.

On Celebrity and RCI if you want freedom dining you must pre pay gratuities upfront. No cancellation. It works for them.

On Celebrity and RCI if you want freedom dining you must pre pay gratuities upfront. No cancellation. It works for them.

WHich begs the question, why can't P&O do this ? It would at least be a start to full implementation of paying tips upfront which most on here want.

No one spends that sort of money without reading further than the price. If you are correct some people, buying on price alone must end up on any cruise line, any ship going anywhere. Do people wanting to go to Andalusia end up in Benidorm because it's a bit cheaper. It's fantasy.

David.

Well actually that's pretty much how I ended up with a P&O cruise! I was looking at Eurocamp but the price of flights, transfers and five nights for two of us was £700. This was the same price as the taster cruise which includes food of course. I paid extra for a balcony but probably no more than a few meals out. I wouldn't normally pay to go back to either Amsterdam or Le Harve but the whole package was appealing.

I would have gone on any ship if they had it for the same price. I looked at Costa as they were also extremely cheap and had a better itinerary but reviews were not good and especially the amounts of extras you need to pay for.

Although RC try it on in the UK it has been 2 years since they stopped the compulsory prepaid tipping for my time dining but we still do it because we can do pay it in £ sterling.

Over the past year I have started to keep a diary when on our cruises. I was looking through the notes I made when on our Aurora Cruise to the Baltic in May and thought that it was relevant to this debate. Here it is, unedited, as I noted on the day;

"Back on board in time for lunch, we enjoyed the daily curry in the Medina, where we chatted to a waiter who had remembered us from Britannia. It was interesting to hear how their working arrangements work - 10 hours a day for 9 months, with no days off and just one shift (2.5 hours) off per week to go ashore, so 67.5 hours per week. They work 9 months on and 3 months off, so if you equate the hours worked in a year to a typical UK job over 52 weeks less 5 weeks holidays and bank holidays, it would be the equivalent of us working a 56 hour week. I'm glad that the service has been so good on this cruise that I wouldn't even entertain removing the auto gratuity (now called service charge) of £6 a day, as I would now feel quite guilty doing so."

WHich begs the question, why can't P&O do this ? It would at least be a start to full implementation of paying tips upfront which most on here want.

Because you would then end up with two prices for Select fares, a cheaper price for Club dining and a higher price for the (service charge included) Freedom dining.

Can't see that selling well, and it would also bring attention to the service charge. Don't forget P&O makes no mention at all that there is a service charge when booking.

However the fun would really happen with Saver fares. How do you deal with Early Saver where people can express a preference? Charge them the higher fare and then give it back on board if they end up in Club? How do you deal with Saver where you don't get a choice?

So nice idea, but I think you need to back to the drawing board.

I truly don't think that snobbery or not paying tips are limited to any grade of cabin. I think it's very much down to the individual, for some reason being on a cruise seems to fill some people with all sorts of airs and graces. We have all sorts of cabins and certainly don't behave differently, if we are in a suite we never tell any fellow passengers - why should it matter? Yet we sit having to listen to tiresome conversations and behaviours at dinner ranging from hugely judgemental attitudes towards other passengers to incessant boasting about always having a limousine drive them to the port. I think manners, consideration for others and doing the right thing are attitudes which are taught to us as children and the quality of parenting isn't necessarily aligned to class or how much money people have. I am always grateful for what I have and can do now, because none of us know what will change for us tomorrow. As for suites having to pay more tips, I don't think it unreasonable that a higher rate could be applied on account of the Butler, but other than that the reality is that a suite is just a bigger cabin and anything extra is paid for in the cost.

I don't think we should discriminate and judge people on the type of cabin they have got or make assumptions [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As for suites having to pay more tips, I don't think it unreasonable that a higher rate could be applied on account of the Butler, but other than that the reality is that a suite is just a bigger cabin and anything extra is paid for in the cost.

If the cabin is bigger it will take the steward longer to clean. Since the 'tips' are not 'tips' but wages it would seem reasonable that you pay the right amount for the steward otherwise those in smaller cabins are subsidising you.

I truly don't think that snobbery or not paying tips are limited to any grade of cabin. I think it's very much down to the individual, for some reason being on a cruise seems to fill some people with all sorts of airs and graces. We have all sorts of cabins and certainly don't behave differently, if we are in a suite we never tell any fellow passengers - why should it matter? Yet we sit having to listen to tiresome conversations and behaviours at dinner ranging from hugely judgemental attitudes towards other passengers to incessant boasting about always having a limousine drive them to the port. I think manners, consideration for others and doing the right thing are attitudes which are taught to us as children and the quality of parenting isn't necessarily aligned to class or how much money people have. I am always grateful for what I have and can do now, because none of us know what will change for us tomorrow. As for suites having to pay more tips, I don't think it unreasonable that a higher rate could be applied on account of the Butler, but other than that the reality is that a suite is just a bigger cabin and anything extra is paid for in the cost.

I don't think we should discriminate and judge people on the type of cabin they have got or make assumptions [emoji849]

Great post very true.

If any P&O senior managers do read CC threads then from this one they will surely assume that their current system of rewarding hotel staff via auto gratuities is a great system. There are so many conflicting views discussed they will feel that maintaining the status quo is by far the best option.;)

If the cabin is bigger it will take the steward longer to clean. Since the 'tips' are not 'tips' but wages it would seem reasonable that you pay the right amount for the steward otherwise those in smaller cabins are subsidising you.

Massive assumption here that the vastly increased price of a suite over a standard cabin makes no allowance whatsoever for additional cleaning time. I would be staggered if that is the case. Whilst we all have our own views as to whether we pay the service charge or not, there seems to be a bit of unhealthy 'them and us' or, dare I say it, jealousy creeping into this thread which somewhat undermines the core argument.

I can see your point, but if the tips aren't tips they are wages and P&O don't stipulate any additional charge for a suite - how do we know that they don't include the extra cost in the price? There must be some sort of arrangement as stewards with suites have less cabins to clean, and I can't imagine they settle for less wages. We don't know if other passengers subsidise suites or if this is accounted for differently, but that is another can of worms!

Also it's worth pointing out that the Butler seems to work with the Steward and do more of that work than people realise.

I can see your point, but if the tips aren't tips they are wages and P&O don't stipulate any additional charge for a suite - how do we know that they don't include the extra cost in the price? There must be some sort of arrangement as stewards with suites have less cabins to clean, and I can't imagine they settle for less wages. We don't know if other passengers subsidise suites or if this is accounted for differently, but that is another can of worms!

Also it's worth pointing out that the Butler seems to work with the Steward and do more of that work than people realise.

Yes the cabin steward does less in a suite than in a balcony cabin as the Butler works with him/her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums