First time Cruiser on Divina

JulieOz

Hello,

We are from the UK and spending a week on the Divina in September after 3 nights in Miami .

This is our first cruise (apart from a couple of mini ones from Southampton with P & O)

To say I am excited is an understatement ! :D I am addicted to this forum at the moment!!

We have the Aurea package booked so we don't have to worry about what we spend on board as I love a cocktail in the evening !

Just a couple of questions please, how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !)

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early?

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails !

Question from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar :rolleyes:

How should I expect the weather to be ? Miami eastern Caribbean? I have not been to this part of the world often. Do I need a jacket for the even I am assuming not. I am expecting the "Monica" hairfrizz .

Any other advice for a first time cruiser would be great

Thanks

Julie

Edited by JulieOz
spelling

Hi. I can address some of your questions:

..how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !) There are European and US sockets. Usually 2 of each by the dressing table mirror. Bring a power strip/extension lead but not one with a surge protector built in.

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early? It can be very quick or a few hours, yes people do pack swimwear in their carry ons.

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, YES, some classes in gym, extra charge. can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails ! No, the prom deck does not stretch all around the ship.

from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744I doubt it in the Caribbean.

Enjoy, Divina is a lovely ship.

Hello,

We are from the UK and spending a week on the Divina in September after 3 nights in Miami .

This is our first cruise (apart from a couple of mini ones from Southampton with P & O)

To say I am excited is an understatement ! :D I am addicted to this forum at the moment!!

We have the Aurea package booked so we don't have to worry about what we spend on board as I love a cocktail in the evening !

Just a couple of questions please, how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !)

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early?

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails !

Question from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar :rolleyes:

How should I expect the weather to be ? Miami eastern Caribbean? I have not been to this part of the world often. Do I need a jacket for the even I am assuming not. I am expecting the "Monica" hairfrizz .

Thanks

Julie

There are 2 US and 2 EU plug sockets in the bedroom, unless you have very small adapters for your UK plugs you can only use one of each at a time as the adapters overlap the sockets (ours did anyway). There is also a 2 pin socket in the bathroom. And also ensure you have front facing usb ports, the sockets are very close to the desk.

Luggage delivery is variable in my experience, but a couple of hours at most. No harm in including your swimwear in your hand luggage.

I've read about classes and jogging facilities but have no experience. I can however recommend the cocktails :D

The sports bar unfortunately do not show live Premiership games, there will possibly be highlights & goals.

I'd definitely take a cardigan/bolero for the theatre as it can be cooler in there.

I'd also recommend buying some table cloth clips or similar for your towels when sunbathing.

Edited by CruisingFox27

Hello,

This is what a typical set of sockets looks like

sockets.jpg

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early? As you have the Aurea package you should have priority luggage delivery to your cabin

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails ! They have a power walking track on deck 15, it used to be called a "jogging track" on earlier deck plans.

Question from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar :rolleyes: Don't lnow

Thanks

Julie

Pete

The temperature in the eastern Caribbean in September will be hot (26-35 C) and very humid. An umbrella or rain poncho is useful for any passing shower.

You will not need a jacket for outside wear. A sweater for the interior of the ship might be needed.

Yes, they do have Spinning classes in the gym. On Splendida in the Med Sea, they were 10 Euros, discounted to 5 Euros for Aurea experience guests. You need to sign up at the Spa reception. The class is cancelled if there are less than 5 participants.

There is a power walking track, as Skier52 pointed out. It's on deck 15 but does not go all the way around. But, if you look at deck 7 (Apollo), there is a promenade deck that goes around. I suspect that if you get there early morning, then you should be alone... with other runners.

Yes, they do have Spinning classes in the gym. On Splendida in the Med Sea, they were 10 Euros, discounted to 5 Euros for Aurea experience guests. You need to sign up at the Spa reception. The class is cancelled if there are less than 5 participants.

There is a power walking track, as Skier52 pointed out. It's on deck 15 but does not go all the way around. But, if you look at deck 7 (Apollo), there is a promenade deck that goes around. I suspect that if you get there early morning, then you should be alone... with other runners.

Thank you !! that is great news ...more food and cocktails for me

Hi Julie,

When are you sailing on Divina?? Have you gone on the Roll Call for that date to say Hello? Have you signed up for the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet event onboard Divina??? If not...you will be missing a lot of fun and another resource for information.

Yes, deck 7 was good for jogging. The "jogging track" on deck 15 is a joke. I think they just say that to make you believe (as I did) they actually have a dedicated jogging area. That deck fills with chairs during the day and people at night. But deck 7 next to the life boats was perfect for jogging.

Yes, deck 7 was good for jogging. The "jogging track" on deck 15 is a joke. I think they just say that to make you believe (as I did) they actually have a dedicated jogging area. That deck fills with chairs during the day and people at night. But deck 7 next to the life boats was perfect for jogging.

Sounds good does it go all the way around the ship?? I find treadmill running so boring

Sounds good does it go all the way around the ship?? I find treadmill running so boring

It doesn't but was long enough that it wasn't terrible turning around and running back and forth. Carnival lines have an actual jogging track but this was better than the treadmill. I'm so bad at running on a treadmill, I teeter and totter! And I didn't keep up my fitness routine onboard like I planned so I only went a few times. Oops! :o

It doesn't but was long enough that it wasn't terrible turning around and running back and forth. Carnival lines have an actual jogging track but this was better than the treadmill. I'm so bad at running on a treadmill, I teeter and totter! And I didn't keep up my fitness routine onboard like I planned so I only went a few times. Oops! :o

I take my running kit on every holiday and my husband says it just takes up space in the case as it rarely gets used!! BUT I am determined this time as I pile on weight on a normal holiday so a Cruise will be lethal! ... but we will see ..!

Just seen they do a water bike spin type class that looks interesting

Julie, additional info for DH, outside of the UK all Premier League games are available live on TV. If you were ashore there should be plenty of bars showing games or if he's looking for a specific team/match they are easily available on the internet (not that I advocate that sort of thing obviously ;) ) if you were somewhere with free wifi or prepared to use your onboard data.

The BT Sport app works overseas, if you subscribe to BT Sports. The Sky Sports app doesn't or didn't.

Julie, additional info for DH, outside of the UK all Premier League games are available live on TV. If you were ashore there should be plenty of bars showing games or if he's looking for a specific team/match they are easily available on the internet (not that I advocate that sort of thing obviously ;) ) if you were somewhere with free wifi or prepared to use your onboard data.

The BT Sport app works overseas, if you subscribe to BT Sports. The Sky Sports app doesn't or didn't.

Thank you! ...he has now got BT sports on his phone and have the internet package so he should pick up (West Ham) or any football really ...YAWN!!

Hi. I can address some of your questions:

..how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !) There are European and US sockets. Usually 2 of each by the dressing table mirror. Bring a power strip/extension lead but not one with a surge protector built in.

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early? It can be very quick or a few hours, yes people do pack swimwear in their carry ons.

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, YES, some classes in gym, extra charge. can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails ! No, the prom deck does not stretch all around the ship.

from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744I doubt it in the Caribbean.

Enjoy, Divina is a lovely ship.

Hi there, there is a jogging trail on the Divina, it's on deck 15, my husband used it. There is also a great gym with good equipment, very busy at times, but we managed to be able to run after a max 10 minutes wait. Better to run inside, as it's very very hot.

I take my running kit on every holiday and my husband says it just takes up space in the case as it rarely gets used!! BUT I am determined this time as I pile on weight on a normal holiday so a Cruise will be lethal! ... but we will see ..!

Just seen they do a water bike spin type class that looks interesting

There is also daily yoga at 10 am which I kept missing :D ah, I only now read that you don't like the treadmill. Me neither, usually, but I found it really TOO hot to run outside. Not sure what it will be like in a month, probably better, but August is super hot. We're still in Florida, and the heat is still phenomenal I'm from Holland, so usually enjoying ANY good weather (like you, I suspect :cool:), but we're spending quite some time in the AC.