Geriatric Cruise?? Carnival Miracle to Hawaii

cruizergal70

WE did a fifteen day out of Vancouver four years ago. It was probably one of the best cruises we have done. There was probably a majority of 65+ but it was a very active crowd. There were a lot of families with many generations. We were mid 50's at the time.

We don't normally do buffets so I can't comment except to say anytime we walked through there were many groups of people playing cards.

No matter what the age - chair hogs were abundant:cool:

There was one gentleman who seemed to pop up everywhere we were proudly wearing his platinum sign and sail and talking like he owned the ship. One afternoon a father who was about 30 sat down close to the door with his young son probably about 3 - they were quietly eating lunch - there were only a handful of people out in the serenity area - the child was not saying a peep. The old guy harassed the dad for about 5 minutes about children not being allowed and finally the dad left - it really irritated me since they weren't bothering anyone and it wasn't crowed. I know rules are rules but I have seen a lot worse infractions.

We also had a very large cruise critic group - I think I made over 100 name tags for our meet and greet. It was so fun!

I cruise for sea days so it was perfect for me. Enjoy!

When I was in my late 20s a couple years ago, we went to Hawaii in January on a 15 day cruise. The general ages were higher, as the longer cruises are typically more expensive and younger folks might not get that mych vacation. However, this was a party cruise! We had an absolute blast. The old folks sure knew how to have a great time! Old doesn't necessarily mean decrepit.

Quite honestly I am a little offended at your post and generalizations.

Didn't even make it off the first page before someone said this. Lol

I'm shocked, someone's offended! /s

Look, generalizations are there for a reason just because you *think* you don't fit in them, doesn't make them true for the most part.

Although, the gym at 6 am question was kinda stupid because that's when old folks workout!

My husband and I did the 14 night Miracle cruise to Hawaii a few years ago and loved it! We are both in our 50s and have quite a few cruises under our belt. We don't even notice the age of the passengers on our cruises with one exception - Our first Hawaii cruise was on the Island Princess in 2004 and it was a Christmas/New Years cruise. There were 600 children on board and many of them were awful! We still had a great time, but the kids took over every venue and all of the pools and hot tubs. We simply won't cruise during the holidays again.

Didn't even make it off the first page before someone said this. Lol

I'm shocked, someone's offended! /s

Look, generalizations are there for a reason just because you *think* you don't fit in them, doesn't make them true for the most part.

Although, the gym at 6 am question was kinda stupid because that's when old folks workout!

We are 64 and 65 and always get a 9 am wake up knock from room service. The only thing i am getting up at 6 am is to pee. We always miss the MDR breakfast because it closes at 9, except on sea days.

Very interesting to follow along with this thread! We are late 30's, and really wanna try longer Alaska and Hawaii cruises, but are worried they will be "geriatric" cruises. We like to party hard.

The two itineraries you mentioned will never be cruises with nightlife or poolside activities with the same energy as Caribbean cruises, despite when a couple of posters have written. These cruises are meant to enjoy the ports and be a relaxing shipboard experience. If a large part of your enjoyment of a cruise is dependent on the energy of the on board experience the these itineraries may not be the best suited for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

We did 8 days hawaii to ensensda on the spirit years ago. It was second part of transition from canada. Late sept to oct was the time. Best cruise ever. There were maybe 3 kids from australia. They shut down camp carnival and set up adult crafts and teas. We had a toga party in the downstairs theater. It wss an older crown but we lots of parties. Weather at times cooler and rain. So it depends on the time of year. It is the only cruise i bought the video. I was in it. We had the water slide to ourselves and dared everyone to go down. Rented car in maui and went to otherside for a night. We even went to a county fair.

Best time ever.

Correct. I'm being totally upfront and honest about why I didn't like the cruise. Just for the record I turn 56 in October and regularly travel with my mom who is 79 & dad who is 88. So not an ageist here, but the older demographic did influence my particular enjoyment of the cruise.

I'm 68 and like young women

For anyone who is used to Caribbean or short US departure cruises, these are a different animal. As with Transatlantics part of the draw for many people is to actually enjoy cruising not 18 hours of constant stimulation. My kids were preteen when we first did this and years later it is still one of their favorites. They loved watching for whales and being spoiled by staff and fellow cruisers. try it, you may surprise yourself and actually enjoy cruising. Safe journeys

The two itineraries you mentioned will never be cruises with nightlife or poolside activities with the same energy as Caribbean cruises, despite when a couple of posters have written. These cruises are meant to enjoy the ports and be a relaxing shipboard experience. If a large part of your enjoyment of a cruise is dependent on the energy of the on board experience the these itineraries may not be the best suited for you.

I have been to Alaska twice and Hawaii once. All three were no different then the other cruises have been on (with the exception of the 3 day trip to the Bahamas...that was a real party cruise! it was expected though). I would make the argument that the Alaska cruise we were just on and the one to Hawaii were more lively then some of the others. The passengers in general were older, but there was still a fair amount of children and younger folks. The comedy club was still packed, as were the shows. thre were still people in the clubs (especially in Hawaii). The pools were in use, even Alaska, and the serenity area was always overflowing.

Longer cruises especially when school is in session tends to attract an older crowd

We "geriatric cruisers" (read "retired" ) are the ones who keep the cruise lines in business by filling cabins during the months when schools are in session. Without our $$$ I don't know if they could afford to maintain as many ships/choices as they do.

Many of us opt not to book when there are a lot of kids like on spring break and many of us opt for longer cruises which many younger folks can't take yet because of the dollars or time off work.

It's been our experience that the "geriatrics" who book on CCL, as a rule, don't mind the younger folks - in fact they expect that.

Remember youngsters ... we were once you and someday you'll be us :D:D

I was 20 when I first did this cruise. I would never say Geriatric! In fact I find that rude.

Just great people who like to have fun and cruise. It was a great time and loved the ship.

Andddd I'm doing it again in 20+ days on the Legend to Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We "geriatric cruisers" (read "retired" ) are the ones who keep the cruise lines in business by filling cabins during the months when schools are in session. Without our $$$ I don't know if they could afford to maintain as many ships/choices as they do.

Many of us opt not to book when there are a lot of kids like on spring break and many of us opt for longer cruises which many younger folks can't take yet because of the dollars or time off work.

It's been our experience that the "geriatrics" who book on CCL, as a rule, don't mind the younger folks - in fact they expect that.

Remember youngsters ... we were once you and someday you'll be us :D:D

I am already one of you:)

I'm on the Hawaii October MIRACLE and I'm going to be 49 and my fiance is 47. There is a large, fun and very active facebook group and there are old (60) and young (30 with kids) people on this trip. We have lots of fun things planned so I dont think it will be boring at all!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

We've done the Hawaii cruise twice and loved it. There were places with those who loved the nightlife and places for those that want to chill. Well balanced cruise vacation. Have also done 2 Mediterranean and 2 transatlantic cruises with another back to back on the Horizon next April. Also have the same experience. You will also find some self important persons who jump in lines, impolite, and grumpy. Or those with scooters who always seem to find the back of my feet but... I'm pretty laid back, I'll complain to hubby in private but don't let these things color my vacation. Have fun Hawaii is gorgeous

We've done the Hawaii cruise twice and loved it. There were places with those who loved the nightlife and places for those that want to chill. Well balanced cruise vacation. Have also done 2 Mediterranean and 2 transatlantic cruises with another back to back on the Horizon next April. Also have the same experience. You will also find some self important persons who jump in lines, impolite, and grumpy. Or those with scooters who always seem to find the back of my feet but... I'm pretty laid back, I'll complain to hubby in private but don't let these things color my vacation. Have fun Hawaii is gorgeous

I am going on an 14 day to Hawaii with my wife and am very much looking forward to it. I am a little worried about some of the things that people have put here. I am usually pretty chill, but when it comes to my wife, I can have a bit of a temper. Not toward her, but towards people who think because she is small, weighing in at a little over 100 pounds, that she is easily pushed around. I did not have too much trouble with it on my last cruise, but if someone hits her with a scooter or blows a horn at her, it is going to be very hard to keep my temper in check. Here is to hoping that will not be a problem. I can pretty much let most of everything else go. It is a cruise ship with lots of people, I expect a lot, but I do not expect to move aside just because you want me to. Do not get me wrong, if you ask nicely, I will move. I understand scooters are large and a person may need a little more space.

I am going on an 14 day to Hawaii with my wife and am very much looking forward to it. I am a little worried about some of the things that people have put here. I am usually pretty chill, but when it comes to my wife, I can have a bit of a temper. Not toward her, but towards people who think because she is small, weighing in at a little over 100 pounds, that she is easily pushed around. I did not have too much trouble with it on my last cruise, but if someone hits her with a scooter or blows a horn at her, it is going to be very hard to keep my temper in check. Here is to hoping that will not be a problem. I can pretty much let most of everything else go. It is a cruise ship with lots of people, I expect a lot, but I do not expect to move aside just because you want me to. Do not get me wrong, if you ask nicely, I will move. I understand scooters are large and a person may need a little more space.

I wish that whoever rents these scooters out would spend some time showing people how to maneuver them in closed spaces like elevators.

And sometimes think that the one who has gone over the most feet wins a SOS at the end of the cruise