Carnival Dream NOLA Embarkation Questions

bichonandon

We are second time cruisers, and are taking my mother in law with us, who has some mobility issues. She has lost a great deal of muscle mass over the last few years, has hip problems, and joint pain. She can't walk for long without having to stop and sit down. She does not use a cane or walker, but insists on using her companions to hang on to. She is embarrassed to use any type of device. We have been talking with her about her options, and I do intend to bring a foldable cane with me so she can at least try it if she so decides.

I'm hoping to get information on how long wait times might be for us to embark, and especially I'd like to know if anyone has some idea how many ramps we will encounter? FTTF is sold out. Any information about this process which might help would be much appreciated.

The ramps onto the ship are extremely steep. I don't have mobility issues just a little out of shape and it's rough for me.

If she would agree to let Carnival take her onto the ship with a wheel chair it will be in her best interest. The added bonus is she (and anyone in her party) will get onboard after the Diamond, Platinum and FTTF.

Keep your eyes open on the FTTF as they may open more soon. DO NOT go before your check in time because they won't let you in. To get up to the check in area, you go up an escalator. They also have an elevator, if thats better. Once checked in, you will head over and be seated until boarding begins. Getting onto the ship is all uphill and not a short walk. I think we walked up the ramp and turned and then headed up the next ramp 4 different times before we got on the ship.

Just take your time and hopefully she will be fine. If this won't work I do recall seeing them have wheel chairs to help folks get onboard.

Best of luck!!!

We are second time cruisers, and are taking my mother in law with us, who has some mobility issues. She has lost a great deal of muscle mass over the last few years, has hip problems, and joint pain. She can't walk for long without having to stop and sit down. She does not use a cane or walker, but insists on using her companions to hang on to. She is embarrassed to use any type of device. We have been talking with her about her options, and I do intend to bring a foldable cane with me so she can at least try it if she so decides.

I'm hoping to get information on how long wait times might be for us to embark, and especially I'd like to know if anyone has some idea how many ramps we will encounter? FTTF is sold out. Any information about this process which might help would be much appreciated.

If she uses her cane and you tell them she can't walk it they will transport her and the entire group on with the fttf people. We do this with my mom, she can walk but not that far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If she uses her cane and you tell them she can't walk it they will transport her and the entire group on with the fttf people. We do this with my mom, she can walk but not that far

Does she realize how big the ship is? I suggest a wheelchair/scooter for the trip. My mom has the same problems and resisted help but has now admitted how much more she was able to enjoy the ship with a scooter. She balked at first, but we stood firm.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

She should accept to be on a wheelchair at least on embarkation. She will have a hard time walking on the gangway. With your description of her mobility issues, It may not be enough for her to cling to just one person on embarkation, and stall others in moving.

Suggest you get in touch with Special Needs, and she can decline if she doesn't really want to.

They don't do this any longer. There is no more Special Needs group. She will board with her assigned group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife needed a cane on our last cruise. When we entered the terminal, a Carnival rep asked us if we would like some assistance. After answering yes, a very nice lady came with a wheelchair and took us through the system quickly, up to putting us on the ship. We gave her a nice tip, everyone happy. Let Carnival help with her embarkation. Everyone will start their vacation in a good mood.

They don't do this any longer. There is no more Special Needs group. She will board with her assigned group.

Since when? They were doing this last January and we were counting on similar treatment this December. MIL and PIL have mobility issues.

Since when? They were doing this last January and we were counting on similar treatment this December. MIL and PIL have mobility issues.

It has been almost a year. They can still get wheelchair assistance, but will board with their assigned boarding group.