Anyone flown Air Canada Rouge Premium Economy?

hiccups

It infuriates me when people claim they fly Premium Economy on US carriers that don't offer that service! United doesn't offer Premium Economy!!!

Have only flown Air Canada regular PE , never Rouge. Won't do it!

As an aside be careful of planning your trips on Air Canada based on aircraft. I did and got burned. Two different international flights, from two different cities Air Canada's website showed 787 service . Both ended up being 777 service! When I questioned the flight attendants, they laughed and said "you believed the website, these flights have always been 777-300ER!"

I won't fly Rouge, but if I had a gun to my head it would only be in Premium Economy '

Ok,we flew LHR to SEA Delta economy +,seperate section of cabin,better seats,service and food.How would premium economy differ?

I am confused I am not an expert as we only fly 1-2 time a year now

You are saying Rouge has PE

I only see on their website & AC they have Premium Rouge (like BUS) or economy

This is for Toronto to Florida routes & this is the seating we had

The seats are the same type as the A/C regular BUS class we flew the year before (colours are different) 2-2 config

Checked YYZ to BCN same seating for Premium Rouge

2-2-2 config

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/revenue/images/seats/premium_rouge_767.jpg

What routes are you finding PE on Rouge flights ?

If you go to Seatguru you will see Rouge Plus listed for rows 12-15 on their 767. It is simply a premium seat (more legroom) than regular economy. You obtain these seats simply by booking economy and paying an extra charge to upgrade when you choose your seat.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_Boeing_767-300ER_new.php

I checked the YYZ to CPH

It has 3 classes of seating

economy

Premium Rouge which looks like A/C BUS seats

Bus which has lie flat beds

So it appears different routes have different seat classes

On the YYZ to BCN it just has the 2 economy & Premium Rouge same as the flights to Fla

who is confused LOL

If you go to Seatguru you will see Rouge Plus listed for rows 12-15 on their 767. It is simply a premium seat (more legroom) than regular economy. You obtain these seats simply by booking economy and paying an extra charge to upgrade when you choose your seat.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_Boeing_767-300ER_new.php

Is it possible seatguru is not up to date

When Rouge started they did have 3 options

economy, Premium plus & Premium Rouge on the flight to Florida but now on 2 classes on those flights

but then again it could depend on the routing as I posted above

If I had a choice between Premium Rouge & Westjet I would go with Rouge

Ok,we flew LHR to SEA Delta economy +,seperate section of cabin,better seats,service and food.How would premium economy differ?

Premium economy is a wider seat.

For example on an Air Canada or United 787 economy is 9 seats across. Air Canada premium economy is 7 seats across. The premium economy meal is much better.

Premium Economy on Air Canada (any many of the european airlines) is closer to what the US airlines offer as a domestic first class.

To LHT28, when are you looking at flights on Rouge from Toronto to Copenhagen? I checked and see that route serviced by Mainline Air Canada 777's and 787's not Rouge.

I also looked at the Rouge Website (which also may not be UTD) and it clearly states 24 Premium Rouge Seats, 219 Economy Seats and 30 Preferred seats on their 767 so perhaps they did do away with Rouge Plus and/or now call them Preferred instead.

Yes Rick, I understand. Words have no meaning, meanings have no words. It's only small stuff . I flew

BC and this is the service I got! Well really it was only Economy, but let's not sweat the small stuff, none of those words mean anything! I bought an Economy ticket and, well actually it was a Basic Economy ticket, but we can't sweat the small stuff, it's all the same.

Yep, see the small stuff all the time!

Oh, for pete's sake. I called the seats by the wrong name. And since, as you and other posters pointed out, that category doesn't even exist on United, I fail to see the huge problem. Were I poster reading my post, that was interested in booking a flight on United, I would have seen on United's site that PE doesn't exist, and I, as a reasonable person, would have assumed, "Oh, they must have meant Economy Plus." Had I made the mistake on another carrier, possibly it would have been an issue. Only one correction was needed. I made a mistake and I didn't deserve to be told I was "infuriating" or judged/grilled on why I chose the words I used. I've only flown on Air Canada and BA about 25 years ago, so I wasn't aware of the differences.

For the posters that answered my question, thank you very much for your assistance. For the first poster that reasonably pointed out my error, I appreciate the correction. For those of you that piled on, you added nothing to this conservation other than to make other posters wary of ever asking a question, lest they be subjected to similar treatment. It must be nice to be perfect and to have never made a mistake in your life.

I've received the answer to my question, and I'm now finished with this thread, thank you.

To LHT28, when are you looking at flights on Rouge from Toronto to Copenhagen? I checked and see that route serviced by Mainline Air Canada 777's and 787's not Rouge.

I also looked at the Rouge Website (which also may not be UTD) and it clearly states 24 Premium Rouge Seats, 219 Economy Seats and 30 Preferred seats on their 767 so perhaps they did do away with Rouge Plus and/or now call them Preferred instead.

I suspect you are correct on the preferred seats

they can charge extra for bulkhead or emergency exit seats but still econ services

When I checked to CPH I think it just took the flexible dates then looked at the cheaper prices

Oh, for pete's sake. I called the seats by the wrong name. And since, as you and other posters pointed out, that category doesn't even exist on United, I fail to see the huge problem. Were I poster reading my post, that was interested in booking a flight on United, I would have seen on United's site that PE doesn't exist, and I, as a reasonable person, would have assumed, "Oh, they must have meant Economy Plus." Had I made the mistake on another carrier, possibly it would have been an issue. Only one correction was needed. I made a mistake and I didn't deserve to be told I was "infuriating" or judged/grilled on why I chose the words I used. I've only flown on Air Canada and BA about 25 years ago, so I wasn't aware of the differences.

For the posters that answered my question, thank you very much for your assistance. For the first poster that reasonably pointed out my error, I appreciate the correction. For those of you that piled on, you added nothing to this conservation other than to make other posters wary of ever asking a question, lest they be subjected to similar treatment. It must be nice to be perfect and to have never made a mistake in your life.

I've received the answer to my question, and I'm now finished with this thread, thank you.

That's the problem with posting here a lot of times hiccups Some people have no manners

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

I've read the reviews, hence why we booked the Premium :) We were looking at $800 more each, plus multiple stops, to fly premium on any other airline, so we decided to try it.

Premium supposedly offers free iPads, and I've read they now have charging stations between the seats. At worst, I'll catch up on my reading, I suppose!

You are correct in Premium Rouge you will get the free IPads and the charging station are installed. FYI to all others rouge is the vacation airline thus being different product from Mainline Air Canada.

You will be fine have fun.

Sea ya

Éric

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hicupps - You have nothing to apology for. The problem is the airlines in a race to monotise the slightest difference in economy seats have created a very complex system that is difficult for the average traveler to understand. This is made even worse with the fact that different airlines all do things differently.

Air Canada created their mess about five-six years ago. They upgraded most of their 767 aircraft business class cabines to these seats that open out into a flat bed. However they had three or four 767 that retained the old fashion business class seats. In the winter this small fleet was used domestically and to Hawaii. In the summer they sent them to Europe to some of the leasure destinations (e.g. Barcellona). These because the Rogue aircraft and they started to install these as premium economy into the newer aircraft. They eventually expanded the Premium offering to all the 787 and 777 aircraft as well as the Rogue 767 aircraft.

Around the same time Delta and United came up with this Economy Plus product that is basically a normal economy with a little more leg room.

Then over time some of the airlines doing Economy Plus started to add Premium Economy and some of the airlines doing Premium Economy started to add Economy Plus. Now airlines like United are offering Ecnomy minus (with no carry on allownace).

Bascially the airlines have created such a complex set of differentiated products their own employees cant keep it streight. When you add on code shares between two different airlines it is even worse.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your flight.

EM-SK

well said

for those of us that do not fly often & are not experts on air travel it is even more confusing

I booked BUS on AA to MIA unlike A/C & Rouge you do not get to use the lounge unless you have some status with AA

disappointing

787-900.

GDS systems can only take three characters for the aircraft, so the various versions get different coding. 752 is a 757-200, 753 is a 757-300. 332 is an A330-200, while a 333 is an A330-300. As so on.

Got it...thank you!

Oh, for pete's sake. I called the seats by the wrong name. And since, as you and other posters pointed out, that category doesn't even exist on United, I fail to see the huge problem. Were I poster reading my post, that was interested in booking a flight on United, I would have seen on United's site that PE doesn't exist, and I, as a reasonable person, would have assumed, "Oh, they must have meant Economy Plus."

The problem is that a LOT of people don't truly understand the difference between Economy Plus (and similar products,) and true Premium Economy. They are two completely different fare classes but are easily confused. Combine that very understandable lack of knowledge with the lack of flying experience of many who read these threads and it's quite reasonable to think that someone could misunderstand and end up very disappointed. Ex. A somewhat infrequent flyer reads how wonderful someone's trip in premium economy was, completely with descriptions about the upgraded seat, upgraded service, upgraded amenities and so on. They decide that sounds like a wonderful alternative to the much pricier business class. When it's time to book, they see "economy plus" or similar and assume it's premium economy, and based on what they've heard about that, they jump to purchase it....and then find out on travel day that the seat isn't any wider than a coach seat, doesn't recline any more than a coach seat, doesn't come with the use of certain amenities, etc. They come home extremely disappointed in their "premium economy" flight.

The problem is that a LOT of people don't truly understand the difference between Economy Plus (and similar products,) and true Premium Economy. They are two completely different fare classes but are easily confused. Combine that very understandable lack of knowledge with the lack of flying experience of many who read these threads and it's quite reasonable to think that someone could misunderstand and end up very disappointed. Ex. A somewhat infrequent flyer reads how wonderful someone's trip in premium economy was, completely with descriptions about the upgraded seat, upgraded service, upgraded amenities and so on. They decide that sounds like a wonderful alternative to the much pricier business class. When it's time to book, they see "economy plus" or similar and assume it's premium economy, and based on what they've heard about that, they jump to purchase it....and then find out on travel day that the seat isn't any wider than a coach seat, doesn't recline any more than a coach seat, doesn't come with the use of certain amenities, etc. They come home extremely disappointed in their "premium economy" flight.

That is all very well but there is no need for some "experts" to be so condescending to those of us that do not fly often or with several airlines

I try to avoid this forum usually

JMO

Lyn;

People constantly posting about flying PE on a US domestic carrier, is equivalent to that person posting " I only cruise luxury lines like Carnival or NCL!". How many times do you post that those are not luxury lines. The cruise lines considered luxury are x,y, z. Then their reply is "oh, you know what I really meant, they're luxury to me", so I'll just call them luxury ". Then we have real uniformed readers thinking those cruise line may actually be luxury lines and not mass market lines.

LHT28 and Griff61

Guess this thread is an example of why the board allows you to block seeing posts from certain members. Guess I'll be adding a couple more to my list.

yes well aware

I already have a long list

Hope you have not blocked me yet

done here

LHT28 and Griff61

Guess this thread is an example of why the board allows you to block seeing posts from certain members. Guess I'll be adding a couple more to my list.

In case you didn't know that was possible... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2499588&highlight=block+user

Thanks RickT Haven't used it before but might start with one on this forum I have to say though I do sometimes like reading them as it gives me a good feeling when others fire back at them as well. It can be the best laugh of the day

Also thanks for the guru website

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

First off, let's clarify what you had in Delta's version of economy+, which they call Comfort+.

• Yes, it was a separate section of the economy cabin, specifically the front of the economy cabin.
  • Better seats? Hmm, the seat itself was virtually the same seat as in regular economy, they simply space them a couple extra inches apart, meaning you have more leg room. Delta says they recline a bit more, but the additional recline is so minimal, I've yet to find anyone who actually considered it an improvement. The seat itself is the same though.... no wider than a seat in economy, no more plush than a seat in economy, no additional armrest room, etc.
  • Better service? It's still part of the economy cabin, no additional service offered.
  • Better food? It's still part of the economy cabin, and is served the same meals as in economy. Delta does offer free cocktails to Comfort+, but on an international flight like yours, they also do that for regular economy, so no difference whatsoever there.

So, then, how would actual Premium Economy differ? Delta will actually be rolling out a true Premium Economy product "soon," which they are calling Premium Select. It will be offered only on select international routes, at least initially. Here's how it will differ from regular economy/Comfort+:

• The actual seat WILL be different. Not only will it have more legroom, it will legitimately have more recline AND it will actually be a wider seat. The seat will also have an adjustable leg rest and foot rest, so it will function more like a true recliner. The headrest will also be adjustable to provide more comfort.
  • There will be a dedicated flight attendant, so presumably the service will be a step up from regular economy, as you won't be relying on flight attendants serving your section AND the entire regular economy section.
  • Meals will be actual plated meals, not the TV dinner-style meals served in coach in a little cardboard tray

First off, let's clarify what you had in Delta's version of economy+, which they call Comfort+.

• Yes, it was a separate section of the economy cabin, specifically the front of the economy cabin.
  • Better seats? Hmm, the seat itself was virtually the same seat as in regular economy, they simply space them a couple extra inches apart, meaning you have more leg room. Delta says they recline a bit more, but the additional recline is so minimal, I've yet to find anyone who actually considered it an improvement. The seat itself is the same though.... no wider than a seat in economy, no more plush than a seat in economy, no additional armrest room, etc.
  • Better service? It's still part of the economy cabin, no additional service offered.
  • Better food? It's still part of the economy cabin, and is served the same meals as in economy. Delta does offer free cocktails to Comfort+, but on an international flight like yours, they also do that for regular economy, so no difference whatsoever there.

So, then, how would actual Premium Economy differ? Delta will actually be rolling out a true Premium Economy product "soon," which they are calling Premium Select. It will be offered only on select international routes, at least initially. Here's how it will differ from regular economy/Comfort+:

• The actual seat WILL be different. Not only will it have more legroom, it will legitimately have more recline AND it will actually be a wider seat. The seat will also have an adjustable leg rest and foot rest, so it will function more like a true recliner. The headrest will also be adjustable to provide more comfort.
  • There will be a dedicated flight attendant, so presumably the service will be a step up from regular economy, as you won't be relying on flight attendants serving your section AND the entire regular economy section.
  • Meals will be actual plated meals, not the TV dinner-style meals served in coach in a little cardboard tray

Not certain specifically what Delta will do. In addition to what you describe coming to Delta, Air Canada Premium Economy also has an:

- Amenity kit (socks, toothbrush, hand cream etc. handed out on night flights)

- Better wine selection

- Meal is plated, and much more substantial

- Hot towel before each meal

- full size pillow and blanket

- Two free checked bags

- priority boarding, priority check in, priority baggage handling

- since there are fewer passengers but the same number of overhead bins, bin space is a non-issue.

I have done premium economy on both Air Canada, Air France and Lufthansa, there are similar and I would suspect Delta when they bring it out it will be similar.

We did get priority boarding also,lol.Are they discontinuing comfort +,I thought it was 10 times better than our Virgin return flight from Miami,which was standard economy.