Solo Cruising 1st time

RoyalScot

Having cruised 3 times before with celebrity with family, now thinking of solo cruise, aged 44, heard NCL, Thomson and P&O all do single cabins no extra charges, NCL seem best with rooms, seperate lounge to hook up etc does anyone have advice on solo cruising and best options

Be careful of the "no single supplement" advertising line. It's true they don't have a supplement because they're priced higher to begin with. On some voyages (at least on NCL), it's actually cheaper to pay the supplement and stay in a "standard" interior cabin than in a smaller solo interior. You won't get the use of the solo lounge, but it may or may not be important to you (it's not important to me).

The best option depends on what you want -- we don't all want the same things, or value the same things. I think the best option is Crystal, which has an across-the-board solo supplement of 30% on window cabins (I think it's 35% on verandah cabins), and is virtually all inclusive. I think it's the best value for solos -- it's not cheap, but it's a great value.

Having cruised 3 times before with celebrity with family, now thinking of solo cruise, aged 44, heard NCL, Thomson and P&O all do single cabins no extra charges, NCL seem best with rooms, seperate lounge to hook up etc does anyone have advice on solo cruising and best options

While there's no single supplement on an NCL studio cabin, it's priced higher than the individual passenger fare in a double occupancy cabin. That said, I love the studios and am happy I don't have to pay 200%. :D So far, I've cruised solo twice--once in an inside cabin and once in a studio. I preferred the studio--even though it's a bit smaller than an inside cabin, the layout is better for one person, IMO. I like having the studio lounge; I didn't go to any meet-ups other than the first evening, but it great to be able to go down the hall and get a cappuccino and a cookie or other snack. I have three more NCL cruises booked--one is in a balcony because I got a great deal on it, another is a balcony because it's Alaska and I'm one of those who can't imagine sailing Alaska without one. The third is a studio. :D

If you could be more specific about your concern or what you're wondering about it would help us to help you. :D

I cruise only Solo. I usually look for a no supplement fare. Haven't tried the STUDIOS, but I am going on another NCL NO SUPPLEMENT BALCONY CABIN in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes, there is no choice and I pay the 100% supplement. The higher end cruise lines have reduced solo Supplements more often than the mainstream lines.

So what I try to do is pick Itinerary with affordability. If you aren't pick you can also wait for a last minute sale. That does take the burn off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Flamencacha

I cruise only Solo. I usually look for a no supplement fare. Haven't tried the STUDIOS, but I am going on another NCL NO SUPPLEMENT BALCONY CABIN in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes, there is no choice and I pay the 100% supplement. The higher end cruise lines have reduced solo Supplements more often than the mainstream lines.

So what I try to do is pick Itinerary with affordability. If you aren't pick you can also wait for a last minute sale. That does take the burn off a bit.

Are your zero-supplement cruises also usually last minute? For many of us, the last-minute savings on the cabin would be eaten up by high airfare to get to the port of embarkation. I'd love to be able to take advantage of last-minute fares, but that leaves me only Alaska cruises.

Are your zero-supplement cruises also usually last minute? For many of us, the last-minute savings on the cabin would be eaten up by high airfare to get to the port of embarkation. I'd love to be able to take advantage of last-minute fares, but that leaves me only Alaska cruises.

Actually no, I booked in January for late August. Not that early. There was one that was last minute, because I decided to go at the last minute, while I was visiting an area with a port.

And I booked a River Cruise the other day, for Dec 2017. This will be my first.

But with your issue living in Alaska Yeap it would be tough, trying to fly out.

I am always keeping my eye out for solo fares. Sometimes closer to sail date, it will be a guarantee cabin.

Actually no, I booked in January for late August. Not that early. There was one that was last minute, because I decided to go at the last minute, while I was visiting an area with a port.

And I booked a River Cruise the other day, for Dec 2017. This will be my first.

But with your issue living in Alaska Yeap it would be tough, trying to fly out.

I am always keeping my eye out for solo fares. Sometimes closer to sail date, it will be a guarantee cabin.

I don't live in Alaska, but the closest port I live to is Seattle, so that limits me to mostly Alaska cruises if I were to book last minute and not pay exorbitant airfare. I love cruising Alaska--have my 4th booked for next year--but, I Europe even more!

I would absolutely love to go on a river cruise. I've heard such good things about them. I know there are some who offer a few cabins with no single supplement. I'm sure a river cruise is in my future.

:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi RoyalScot

Single cabins have been introduced on some of the UK lines but I have found that it is usually cheaper to book a double cabin if you are not too concerned about cabin location (I'm not that keen on the single cabin locations) and pay the supplement. P&O usually charge 40-60% and Cunard 75% - both for grades up to and including balcony.

Over the last 12 months or so, for solo travellers, it has mainly been better to book the full fare with benefits rather than the saver fares. Late saver fares nearly always have 100% single supplements.

I started solo cruising at 42 and have now spent over 750 days at sea and have a further 140 booked:). Generally find that the UK based lines seem to do more for solos than Celebrity or Holland America but this may be due to itineraries.

A line that can offer some very good deals is Swan Hellenic but the ship only carries a max of 350 passengers. I've just booked 2 with them and no single supplement. One was a saver and the other was from their 2017/8 brochure which only came out today (an incredible price on a deluxe suite so treated myself). Prices can look high, but they include air fares, gratuities and many excursions so can work out at similar overall prices to those on P&O or Cunard.

• 2 weeks later...

As some folks have said above, you can often get better deals booking a double cabin for solo occupancy. I have cruised solo several times in the past and have only had a single cabin once, with Fred Olsen.

I've also tried Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL and Crystal. So far my favourite is Royal Caribbean. I'm cruising with them again for a short 3 day cruise next month.

In December I'm trying a solo cruise with Cunard on Queen Victoria for 10 nights. I hear that Cunard is very good at catering for solos and has coffee meet-ups and other solo social events.

On some voyages (at least on NCL), it's actually cheaper to pay the supplement and stay in a "standard" interior cabin than in a smaller solo interior. You won't get the use of the solo lounge, but it may or may not be important to you (it's not important to me).

Just on the above (incase the studio lounge is important to you) when i was on Epic last year there was a few solos who were in 'normal' cabins rather than studios and they spoke to guest relations and they were able to get their cards changed to allow access to the lounge. So basically as long as you are solo in any cabin you will be able to get access to the solo lounge.

Having sailed solo on Royal Caribbean, Thomson and NCL my favourite by a mile was NCL, this was due to the solo lounge and being able to meet other solos there and also having an amazing solo host.

Thomson was funny as i attended the solo meet up on the first evening and it was only me there :eek:, slightly awkward!!! It wasn't a problem as later that evening in the disco i found various people who were with larger groups but had 'broken free'!! They become my friends for the week.

Royal Caribbean didn't have a solo meet up but this was several years ago and on one of their smaller ships so this will most likely have changed. Again though i found people to spend time with so not an issue.

Finally, if it helps, i personally don't worry about single suppliments etc i have a budget i have to stick to and as long as the cruise is within that budget then i am happy :D

Happy solo cruising - you won't look back! :)

a few solos who were in 'normal' cabins rather than studios and they spoke to guest relations and they were able to get their cards changed to allow access to the lounge. So basically as long as you are solo in any cabin you will be able to get access to the solo lounge.

There have been several solos here on CC who said they were not allowed access, so it may depend on the ship and the voyage. It's worth trying (as it worked for those on your trip), but I don't think it should be relied upon.

There have been several solos here on CC who said they were not allowed access, so it may depend on the ship and the voyage. It's worth trying (as it worked for those on your trip), but I don't think it should be relied upon.

If you go to the meetings you will meet other Solos. You won't need the lounge. With NCL they are very active. Tip 2 join your roll call reach out pre cruise.

Just on the above (incase the studio lounge is important to you) when i was on Epic last year there was a few solos who were in 'normal' cabins rather than studios and they spoke to guest relations and they were able to get their cards changed to allow access to the lounge. So basically as long as you are solo in any cabin you will be able to get access to the solo lounge.

There have been inconsistent reports on this. Some have been able to do that and others have not. But, solos can attend the daily meet-up and participate in the dinners and such whether they're in a studio cabin or not. The lounge is open to any solos on the ship during the meetup each evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the NCL cruises . i have cruise solo with them as well.

u don't need to stay in the Studios to have access the to the Studio lounge. they often have solo cruise meet and greets on the cruise and u get a pass regardless of cabin you have to access the studiou loung, on that cruise i had a balcony and still had access

no big deal though.

Having sailed solo on Royal Caribbean, Thomson and NCL my favourite by a mile was NCL, this was due to the solo lounge and being able to meet other solos there and also having an amazing solo host.

Thomson was funny as i attended the solo meet up on the first evening and it was only me there :eek:, slightly awkward!!! It wasn't a problem as later that evening in the disco i found various people who were with larger groups but had 'broken free'!! They become my friends for the week.

Royal Caribbean didn't have a solo meet up but this was several years ago and on one of their smaller ships so this will most likely have changed. Again though i found people to spend time with so not an issue.

Finally, if it helps, i personally don't worry about single suppliments etc i have a budget i have to stick to and as long as the cruise is within that budget then i am happy :D

Happy solo cruising - you won't look back! :)

I was on NCL Epic last week and the studios were good and the lounge useful for getting drinks etc. This summer I was on TUI Discovery (Thomson) and think it was the best solo programme I have experienced. There were about a dozen solos and in the 14 nights we had 2 coffee mornings, 2 hosted lunches with free drinks, 2 hosted pre drink cocktails and 4 hosted dinners again with free drinks. Also reserved seats in the theatre 4 times with free drinks yet again. The social hostess was a lovely lady from Belgium :)

The cabins were either insides or outsides and were actually doubles allocated to solos. The supplement was about 40%

Edited by davecttr

• 5 months later...

I'm in my mid forties, and thanks to a divorce, it will be my first solo cruise. I originally booked a solo room, but upgraded this week to a balcony. Although it was only $42 more, I paid much more than double occupancy. I'm really nervous but excited. Vacationing solo is a big step for me! It seems that Norwegian really helps the solo cruisers. I'm surely hoping I can join in some of the solo festivities!

• 1 month later...

I'm reading these posts/replies and it prompted me to call NCL about my upcoming cruise where I am cruising alone. Apparently the NCL Sky does NOT have studio cabins and also NO solo lounge. They also do NOT, according to cus. svc., arrange meet up or cocktail party for their guests travelling alone. I was getting my hopes up reading these posts. Oh well ....

I'm reading these posts/replies and it prompted me to call NCL about my upcoming cruise where I am cruising alone. Apparently the NCL Sky does NOT have studio cabins and also NO solo lounge. They also do NOT, according to cus. svc., arrange meet up or cocktail party for their guests travelling alone. I was getting my hopes up reading these posts. Oh well ....

The studio cabins and studio lounges are on only the mega ships. I've sailed solo on the Jade though, and they did have solo meet-ups every evening. I didn't go, but I saw them listed in the dailies. Don't lose hope--there may well be meet-ups on your ship. Just because CS said they don't have them doesn't mean they don't. That's up to the ship and not corporate. As I understand most ships have the meet-ups even if they don't have studio cabins.

Like Quilting_Cruiser said, don't lose hope not all CS reps are always informed. I can't speak for all the ships; however, the Gem had a solo meeting every night listed in the Dallies on all my sailing on the ship and it doesn't have solo cabins. A couple of the hosts had a little party and some didn't, what they arranged (dinner, shows, etc.) depended on who was the host. Most of them would make arrangements for dinner and some of them arranged their schedule to have dinner with us a couple of times. Some of them would only spend a few minutes after introducing themselves and have the solos introduce themselves.

I was asking about the Sky in November last year and was told then that they did have solo meetings. I was on the Jade at the time, which also has no solo cabins but did have solo meets. So I think your customer rep was almost certainly wrong.

I find NCL is really good on this.

I was asking about the Sky in November last year and was told then that they did have solo meetings. I was on the Jade at the time, which also has no solo cabins but did have solo meets. So I think your customer rep was almost certainly wrong.

I find NCL is really good on this.

Oh, good. Thank you. I appreciate the info. I guess I'll ask cruise director(?) when I board.

• 1 month later...

I'm kinda curious about which cruise lines other than NCL organise solos meet ups and activities, it's good to hear TUi/Thomson do so.

I recently did my first ever cruise with NCL on the Escape and really enjoyed the trip, the solo group on board were pretty friendly and wound up with a fairly regular set of 10 every night for dinner.

One of the other solos had just come off a cruise with celebrity where she'd been charged 200% but put in a cabin with a single bed, to say she was rather displeased with that experience would be an understatement.