VAT tax

Love2Cruz2015

I'll be on the Splendida in March sailing from and returning to Marseille.

The itinerary is as follows:

Marseille

Genoa

Rome

Palermo

Valetta, Malta

Barcelona

Marseille

Will all my onboard purchases get the VAT tax?

If so, if I buy drink coupon booklets online, as well as spa packages, from online from the US, would that exempt me from paying VAT?

I'll be on the Splendida in March sailing from and returning to Marseille.

The itinerary is as follows:

Marseille

Genoa

Rome

Palermo

Valetta, Malta

Barcelona

Marseille

Will all my onboard purchases get the VAT tax?

If so, if I buy drink coupon booklets online, as well as spa packages, from online from the US, would that exempt me from paying VAT?

With that itinerary the rules say that VAT should be charged as the ship only visits EU counties.

Though as a US citizen you can fill out a form to claim it back but you will need VAT receipts to do so. I don't think MSC provide the receipts other than in the on board shops.

So prepurchasing drinks, excursions, spa packages etc. should, in theory , save you paying, then trying to claim back, the VAT, if any is paid.

Pete

Here is a link to a thread all about the dreaded VAT

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2351381

Edited by Skier52

I've found some more sites to look at with regard to reclaiming vAT, they only deal with the UK customs service but it should be similar in other EU countries,V

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/vat-refunds

http://gouk.about.com/od/ukcurrencymoneymatters/a/What-Is-Vat-And-How-Do-I-Claim-A-Vat-Refund.htm

Edited by Skier52

My understanding of VAT is any/all purchases are subject to VAT for a VAR itinerary. Pre-purchasing shouldn't matter. However, in practice sometimes the cruise lines let this slide. Example, I purchased drink vouchers on divina while still in Miami. I "should" have been charged state taxes. I wasn't because Msc deliberately waited to charge my account until we hit international waters. Either way, since you have chosen a VAT itinerary, everything you purchase will have vat tax so you will need to fill out the tax reimbursement form regardless. Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding of VAT is any/all purchases are subject to VAT for a VAR itinerary. Pre-purchasing shouldn't matter. However, in practice sometimes the cruise lines let this slide. Example, I purchased drink vouchers on divina while still in Miami. I "should" have been charged state taxes. I wasn't because Msc deliberately waited to charge my account until we hit international waters. Either way, since you have chosen a VAT itinerary, everything you purchase will have vat tax so you will need to fill out the tax reimbursement form regardless. Hope that helps :)

I think I will take my chances and purchase some things online and hope that MSC charges me while I'm still in the US. If not, I guess I won't be doing too much shopping other than souvenirs and food sampling.

I just went ahead and bought a coffee bundle, soft drink coupons, a spa service and a birthday cake...the CC was instantly charged...I doubt they would add taxes separately. We'll see.

Excellent! This will save you a bundle if you plan on a lot of excursions! :)

• 8 months later...
Excellent! This will save you a bundle if you plan on a lot of excursions! :)

Hi Love2Cruz2015,

I'm new to CC and to European cruising and I will be doing a B2B on the Divina (West Med / Italy, Spain, France) and Sinfonia (East Med / Italy, Croatia, Greece) - all EU Ports. So I was hoping you might be able to help in answering my enquiry about the VAT since your MSC cruise has now come and gone.

Did you eventually pay the VAT on your pre-purchased packages? on on board purchases? on the cruise fare? This last one has me worried as it would be a hefty blow out to our holiday budget :confused:

I really hope you or anyone else here can help

There is no VAT added to purchases onboard. VAT rates differ in EU countries - there isn't one flat rate. Prices onboard are the same whether you visit only EU countries or not. The exception seems to be when in Spanish waters, from reports I've read here on the forum. Personally, I've never experienced being charged a sales tax onboard when in Barcelona port.

There is no VAT added to purchases onboard. VAT rates differ in EU countries - there isn't one flat rate. Prices onboard are the same whether you visit only EU countries or not. The exception seems to be when in Spanish waters, from reports I've read here on the forum. Personally, I've never experienced being charged a sales tax onboard when in Barcelona port.

Thank you Beamafar, it's certainly a relief to know VAT isn't added to on board pricing! Lets hope we're as lucky as you when in Valletta and Palma ports :D

Silly me, I mean't Valencia :o

I was just about to post that Valletta is actually a duty-free spot! Something I didn't know 'til I visited there in June. A nice surprise for DH as he was able to get some duty-free cigarettes. This should be of interest to the OP.