Costa drinks package confusion

Big Chik

I'm looking to book a drinks package on Costa Mediterranea for December but the web page has me confused. Basically I'm looking for one that includes "proper" coffee, but both of the non-alco options only mention cold drinks. So what kind of package do i need to buy to get my daily coffee fix?

Also they state they are for either 20 or 40 beverages - I assume that means 20 actual drinks not 20 types of drink? They also imply the drinks can be bought for other people so, if I buy the 40 drink version, can I buy 20 drinks each for me and my DW?

I'm used to single person, all-you-can-drink packages on RCL and NCL... Costa have me confused.

There are the All Inclusive Packages, where everyone in the cabin must buy the same package and can only be used by the person who bought the package. As there are various All INclusive packages you will have to check Costa Website for content or give Costa a call. The Piu Gusto and Brindiamo, both AI with alcohol drinks also includes speciality coffees.

There are also coffee cards for 20 or 40 cups (expresso or cuppacino), these can be bought onboard at any bar. You can share this card with your DW as many times as you want.

As GMT said all drinks package include most coffees, soft drinks as well as alcohol.

Not sure if coffee cards are still available seemed be confusion when we were last on (Oct) but coffees are roughly 3.25 including the 15%. if that helps.

The coffee card worked out to the same price as individual, they just added a 125g tin of coffee.

I had the Brindiamo package as an early booking bonus, luckily they have decaf cappucino, otherwise I'd still be hyper-caffeinated.

Edited by Dancer Bob

The coffee card worked out to the same price as individual, they just added a 125g tin of coffee.

You mean they gave you a tin of instant coffee? Or was it ground?

Either way how did it help? I thought Costa didn't provide tea/coffee

making facilities?

I think it was ground, I decided it was poor value and didn't look closely. I was in a mini-suite last trip, it had a pod-type coffee maker, I forget the brand, €1.55 per pod, I didn't buy any of those either.

If I remember they are Illy not sure of the spelling, but sold in all supermarkets, best bet take your own if in a suite. Wife even took her favourite brand of coffee and ordered tea in morning which comes with just hot water and tea bags.

• 1 month later...

Boy am I confused.

We tend to buy a wine package (or two) on a cruise but Costa has so many options, we were considering the possibilities. Too bad the website is so little help. And I realize pricing for each package is set for each cruise so just looking for a little guidance. Nevertheless..

Beer and Wine package - The website says there is a beer and wine only package which would work well for us. Is this only available at meals or can we get beer and wine other times of the day. Anyone know how the price pp/pd compares relative to to other packages?

Brindiamo? - How does this package differ from the other AI packages, especially the one that begins with the letter "p"?

Wine packages and wine generally - Anyone have a current wine list for a Costa cruise (preferably Magica)? Do they still do a house wine by the carafe? Someone posted that there are nightly red and white specials. Are these still available on European cruises?

We have never done an AI package on a cruise because we tend to do port intensive cruises and do our lunch drinking on shore. But we always want to check our options.

Hi Badtwin,

Brindiamo is the All inclusive which includes wine/water by the glass, most coffees and selected cocktails only, all persons on booking have to have it.

Pui Gusto is roughly the same but includes all cocktail's.

Both up to 9 euros. including service charge of 15 %

The Intenditore is all the above plus pure fresh squeezed O.J. the Mini Bar in cabin stock to your choice, choice of wines and water in cabin.

Discount of 50 % on any bottles wine purchased in bars.

All booked before sailing get a small discount if you belong to the Costa Club.

Edited by tenpin
spellng

There is no drinks package just containing beer and wine. There is a beer package "Pachetto Birra" for 20 x 40 cl draft beer for €93.15. There are wine packages i.e. "Pachetto Classico" 7 bottles of wine and 7 bottles of mineral water for €124.99. Both packages can be bought onboard.

Have a look at this link for more insight into AI packages:

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/all-inclusive-cruise.html

Thanks for the help. Too bad Costa won't put the brochures for each on the website.

The webpage has something called Pranzo & Cena that says it is for people who want beer, wine and pop at meals so I assumed it was a package but maybe it is more of a coupon type thing with a fixed number of drinks. That is why I was wondering if it was just meals or available during other times.

If you book into the site down bottom is a link called 'My Costa' log in with name & booking number. Then go to Beverage's they list all drinks available.

Then click on more info in each section tells you what is included.

Must admit site is a nightmare & through 'improvements' it is getting worse.

Edited by tenpin

T

The webpage has something called Pranzo & Cena that says it is for people who want beer, wine and pop at meals so I assumed it was a package but maybe it is more of a coupon type thing with a fixed number of drinks. That is why I was wondering if it was just meals or available during other times.

The Pranzo & Cena package is a per person per day at €16.99, covers wine, water. beer and non alcohol drinks / cocktails during the time the buffet and MDR are open during lunch and diner.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I don't think there is a discount on the drinks package if you buy it before hand as it goes on your bill at the end of the cruise. You still don't pay the service charge on the drinks packages. However , if you buy the water package , No Alcohol package, Beer package or wine package you will pay the service charge. I am not sure how old the brochure I have might be but it is 15% on these items. Also states no refunds on items not used and excludes minibar.

We tend to use the Piu Gusto. Lots of nicer juices included as well as slightly better tea and a variety of coffees.I think it very good value for money.

I think you also asked about food in another thread. We were on the NeoClassica in February sailing between Mumbai and Male(Maldives). The food was the same as the usual Italian stuff on Costa but there were lovely curries in the Buffet and (Buffet options) in the MDR lunch times. I am not sure what was on offer in the buffet in the evenings. I love fish but I do not like the fish they serve. Too fishy! The meat dishes are OK. We are not vegetarian but often have the vege options because they can be really good. The pastas vary. I tend to give the meat sauces a miss. Fancy names and they all taste the same. The actual pasta is really lovely and they do all sorts of different types. They also do some really good soup and the desserts are mostly good. Unfortunately Photobucket has blocked all my photos so you won't be able to see anything I posted in my previous reviews.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with Costa.

Alicat

Big Nance,

All discounts are applied at the end of the cruise and will depend on what club level you are, in general the drinks package's are inclusive of the 15% service charge which can add considerable to your bar bill if not aware they are added.

As said above go to 'mycosta' bottom of page sign in with your name and cruise number, select special services top of page or click on wines & beverages . Brindiamo is the best, Pui Gusto includes some cocktails, Intenditore includes special wines Mini-bar to your choice plus.

All purchases are not paid for until your board & can be cancelled up to five days before sailing. Some Countries have slightly different rules so just read the extra info with each selection.

I have always found drink packages to be over priced. Of course it depends HOW MUCH you consume in a day. I tend to just pay for my drinks when I FEEL like it. Some packages for alcohol you need to consume 4 drinks a day just to break even. Get cash Euros and pay your acccount at the end instead of putting it on the credit card. They will allow this after some insistence by you. This way you save the bank's conversion rate which varies from card to card....avg 2.5%..you gotta figure out what you really need.

Costa offers drinks packages that are suitable for even moderate drinkers, I can make it pay with just one glass of wine/beer at lunch & dinner, the rest made up with coffees and water during the day & evening.

2 x wines, 1 water, 4 coffees = 27 euros.

For me it is very easy to break even just with coffee! The rest is for free.

When paying cash don‘t forget that you also loose when exchanging as well, perhaps no commission, but worse rates anyway. No problem at all to pay cash - at least as it is less than 1000 €, Italian law doesn‘t allow more for cash payments.

Get cash Euros and pay your acccount at the end instead of putting it on the credit card. They will allow this after some insistence by you. This way you save the bank's conversion rate which varies from card to card....avg 2.5%..you gotta figure out what you really need.

This is not true that you can pay your account at the end (in Euros), your account must always be in plus, if you do not cover your account by a credit card then a minimum of €150 has to be paid into your account. You do not have to insist that Costa has to take your Euros, they are only to glad to take your money.

A disadvantage of using cash for the onboard account is that on disembarkation morning you have to get up early (from 06:00) to settle your account either payin or a refund, normmaly you cannot leave the ship until the account is closed.

• 2 weeks later...