Inside Cabin for 14 day Pan Canal

2Yanks

has anyone had an inside cabin on the 14 day NCL Panama Canal cruise? I am trying to decide what to book. Also if I should do NCL or Carnival.

We did Alaska on Princess and found ourselves to be on a very boring cruise. So we are staying away from Princess.

As mentioned on your other thread, inside cabins are sold out essentially on all cruises, many over 14 days. So being in an inside cabin for 14 days, 21 days, 30 days or XX days is doable. People do it all the time.

What caused you to find your Princess cruise boring? Without knowing that info, and anything about you, it is hard to say if you are going to enjoy NCL, Carnival, or anybody else.

CruiserBruce,

We found very few activities on the Princess cruise. Entertainment was minimal, and it seemed the ship shut down by 11. Now we are by no means "parties" or "late nighters" but we were some of the last people up at nigh and we are taking 11pm; at that hour 3 people in Disco!

I am up many nights at 11pm, however I can assure you I would not be one of the 3 people in the disco;p... no judgment... just not my thing. I used to cruise NCL, but not recently so my comments may not be representative of amount of activities on board. I do think it is safe to say that longer cruises, regardless of the line tend to be a tad more sedate than the 3/4 day party barge trips to the Bahamas.

As to the inside-porthole-balcony debate, it all comes down to what you are willing to go with. I have cruised in balconies many more times than insides, although my last cruise through the Canal was in an inside, absolutely fine with me. If I am on a ship the only time you will find me in the cabin is when I am either sleeping or showering and that is the same whether I am in an inside or a suite. I do balconies only as a compromise as in doing it "her way":D!!

I'll leave the choice of cruise lines with I am not a huge fan of Carnival, YMMV.

• 2 months later...

It really doesn't make that much difference which kind of cabin you have booked when you do the actual transit of the Canal. To get the best experience, you will want to move around the ship and observe from different places. It's a long day and sometimes about as interesting as watching paint dry so you need to pace yourself. But, most ships have plenty of places from which to view the action and anyone who stays on their personal balcony will miss a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone had an inside cabin on the 14 day NCL Panama Canal cruise? I am trying to decide what to book. Also if I should do NCL or Carnival. ....

We did a 14 night Panama Canal cruise on NCL Star in an inside cabin, after 14 night transatlantic in the inside cabin.

We watched some of the canal action on the bow camera channel in our cabin as we dressed and had room service coffee & croissants.

Then we spent the rest of the day watching the transit from various public areas on the ship.

We often switched from port to starboard to bow and aft and back by cutting through the atrium to watch from promenade.

Nothing wrong with inside cabin since most viewing is not from cabin.

If you would be all right with staying in a hotel room for 14 days with NO windows, you will be just fine having an inside cabin. ;)

Not a good comparison since a hotel doesn't have a lot of activities and scenes to watch and entertainment in a multitude of different public areas. In a hotel you usually stay mostly in your room. Not true on a ship.

Not a good comparison since a hotel doesn't have a lot of activities and scenes to watch and entertainment in a multitude of different public areas. In a hotel you usually stay mostly in your room. Not true on a ship.

When staying in a hotel we are almost never in our room ... but still like to have a window. ;)