question about Mexican Riviera vs Caribbean and best months to go

lucy2mb

We have been on about 14 Caribbean cruises and just got back from our first Alaskan cruise, which we loved!

We are already booked for a southern Caribbean cruise in January. We would like something different the next time and I am looking at the Mexican Riviera. For those of you who have been to both Mexican Riviera and the Caribbean, which do you like the best? Also, what are some of the best months to go? I am looking at October and January. We definitely do not want to go in the summer months. We like going to the Caribbean in January since our children are out of school. I am looking at the Carnival Splendor for the Mexican Riviera cruise. We cruised on the Splendor about a year and a half ago when going on a Caribbean cruise and we liked it. Thank you for your opinion for which you like the best and what month is best if you like the Mexican Riviera.

I took a special leg of an inaugural from Acapulco to LA. We stopped at Xtapa, Cabo San Lucas, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. I enjoyed every stop. We did book tours since the cities were new to us unlike the Caribbean. I looked recently to book it again as my mom hasn't done that itinerary. I would say it is definitely worth doing. Try to get as much time in Cabo as possible as it is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

October will be hotter than H E double toothpicks. Last October, our entire time in Mexico was 90-95 degrees with 80-90% humidity. It is also hurricane season, and we've had to outrun hurricanes of a category 3 on two occasions. Sept and Oct are always very hot in Mexico. Nov - April is the best.

January will be much milder, and almost downright chilly from L.A. To Mexico

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading your opinions, I think I will stay with January cruise there. I don't mind chilly. I would rather it be a little chilly over being too hot.

I hope it will be as pretty as the Caribbean. We know that the Caribbean is beautiful, but we would like something different. The Alaskan cruise we just went on was the most beautiful of any cruise.

Is the Mexican Riviera as pretty as the Caribbean?

After reading your opinions, I think I will stay with January cruise there. I don't mind chilly. I would rather it be a little chilly over being too hot.

I hope it will be as pretty as the Caribbean. We know that the Caribbean is beautiful, but we would like something different. The Alaskan cruise we just went on was the most beautiful of any cruise.

Is the Mexican Riviera as pretty as the Caribbean?

Define "pretty." No, there won't be turquoise water, but there will be jungle, and the people of Mexico are some of the friendliest you will ever encounter. You will be hounded by vendors on the beach, but a simple no, thank you, will suffice within the dozen to two dozen times you will be asked if you want to purchase. Bargaining is a must and is expected. [emoji50]

I've been to the Caribbean probably twenty times and Mexico twenty times. I prefer Mexico because I always have a good time. With that, there are some very dangerous places down there with the drug cartel problems, but usually tourists don't get caught up in the gunfire, as happened back in 08 or 09 in Mazatlan, and the ships have recently started going back. We were in Mazatlan just last year and had a great time.

Cabo is desert like and more modern and wild and crazy and over commercialized with the highest souvenir prices. Puerto Vallarta is lush and green, and we always enjoy the Las Calletas tour which departs from the dock via catamaran.

No, the water is not pretty, but the ambience of Mexico and its lovely people more than make up for the lack of turquoise. There is turquoise water on the Yucatán, and in Cozumel, just not as much on the west coast.

We feel that people in some of the Caribbean islands have very sour dispositions, and we've never encountered that in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

January is a much better time to travel. No humidity, no extreme heat and the whales are around in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.

From things I have read, I hope we wouldn't be disappointed with the Mexican Riviera. I do like Cozumel and the beautiful water, but do not like all the people trying to get me to buy things. I am wondering now if I should look at some place else since we want a change from the Caribbean. I want the change to be a place we like as good or better. I have to say, our Alaskan cruise we just took is our very favorite!!!

From things I have read, I hope we wouldn't be disappointed with the Mexican Riviera. I do like Cozumel and the beautiful water, but do not like all the people trying to get me to buy things. I am wondering now if I should look at some place else since we want a change from the Caribbean. I want the change to be a place we like as good or better. I have to say, our Alaskan cruise we just took is our very favorite!!!

Don't expect Western Mexico to be like Eastern Mexico. West Coast US is vastly different than East Coast US.

Of course you'll have people wanting to know if you want to do/buy something. But that's only in the real touristy or busy areas-- Cabo Marina and flea markets; PV along the Malecon, Rio Cuale and the sandy parts of the beach restaurants; Mazatlan at the shops in port and at the Mercado, etc. A simple 'No Gracias' will send them onto the next person.

Funny story. Mom, Sis and I were sitting along the PV Malecon and were approached by a guy selling harpsichords. We said no. A few minutes later he's back, not to sell but to ask how to pronounce a word in English.

I donot think you will be disappointed. The water is still beautiful, maybe less blue. Plenty of beaches, lots of nice interesting places to go.

Google and check ""youtube", then put in visit e.g. puerto vallarta. You will see lots of videos that will show what to expect, what to see and do. Of course the same for the other destinations.

The best Mexican Riviera weather is generally from mid December through March. Sept through November is pretty risky as its the rainy season in some ports and also has an increased risk of Pacific hurricanes and major storms.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your replies. I booked the Mexican Riviera for Jan. 2019. I will be asking more questions after our Southern Caribbean cruise this January. We have been Southern Caribbean only one time, so I will be researching it now. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
The best Mexican Riviera weather is generally from mid December through March. Sept through November is pretty risky as its the rainy season in some ports and also has an increased risk of Pacific hurricanes and major storms.

Hank

"pretty risky" are the operative words here, and I would not deter cruising or visiting the Mexican Riviera during these months.

To put things in perspective, we have cruised the Mexican Riviera during the 'hurricane season' every year now for 25 years and never once experienced anything other than gorgeous weather. Of course our next cruise in September could be different, but we're betting on experience. ;):)

I took a special leg of an inaugural from Acapulco to LA. We stopped at Xtapa, Cabo San Lucas, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. I enjoyed every stop. We did book tours since the cities were new to us unlike the Caribbean. I looked recently to book it again as my mom hasn't done that itinerary. I would say it is definitely worth doing. Try to get as much time in Cabo as possible as it is beautiful!

There is a cruise from Acapulco to LA now? Awesome! Does it go both ways - I would LOVE to cruise down and back rather than fly...we spend a couple of months there every other year. Which cruise line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a cruise from Acapulco to LA now? Awesome! Does it go both ways - I would LOVE to cruise down and back rather than fly...we spend a couple of months there every other year. Which cruise line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never heard of cruises starting in Acapulco.

They may have meant a cruise some time ago. My sister and I sailed from Acapulco to San Juan, PR (11-day Panama Canal cruise) in November 1998. Back when they used to sail in/out of Acapulco.

It was a fantastic cruise.

Me either....hoping the person who posted that will come back with more information...they said it was an inaugural cruise

• 4 weeks later...

We've done MR many times. January will definitely be nice weather, except for the first day or two (chilly/windy)... Once you're in Mexican waters, it will be beautiful! October gets very HOT... Not as humid as our summer months, but still hot!

Never had issues with hurricanes.. well, once, and it rained a lot in PV.... no diversions or missed ports.