Caribbean decisions

alicat2016

I am not long back from the Italy & Greek isles cruise on the Reflection and I loved it!! Trouble is I have a lot of health issues and being very port intensive I came back exhausted. So I was thinking maybe next year should be Caribbean instead of western med I had planned. I can sit on the beach sipping mocktails or paddle and look at the fish etc... Thing is how do you chose an itinerary? There are so many!! I liked the look of the 14 day ultimate but that doesn't seem to be running 2018 so looked at the 14 day southern exotic and it appeals the most I think but really don't know what I'm looking at tbh. Any recommendations? Thank you!

DW and I have done the 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean 3 times on Equinox and enjoyed every one. The thing that DW enjoyed the most was that it started with 2 sea days and ended with 2 sea days and visited 5 or 6 ports. This year we're booked on the 3/18/18 Southern Exotic 14 Day on Eclipse. First. 2018 will be the last year that the 14 Day on Eclipse will be offered. From reading the roll call it seems a lot of people go on this cruise on an annual basis, especially those who travel distances and want to get the biggest bang for their airfare they can get.

It starts with 2 sea days and ends with 2 sea days. Big plus. It then stops at St. Thomas, St. Maarten St Kitts St Lucia and Barbados; St Thomas (go to St John\ Trunk Bay) St Maarten (Oriente Beach or hang at a hotel beach on Great Bay)

St Kitt;s (nice little place called Palm Court Gardens, infinity pool with bar overlooking the harbor), St. Lucia (take the COSOL tour and go around The Pitons) Barbados ( we go to the Hilton). Nice eastern islands. Then sea day and go south to Bonaire Curacao, and Aruba. Bonaire (not often visited, very pristine island), Curacao (nice resort place on island to spend the day) plus overnight (different) and Aruba (great beaches). I don;t think you can go wrong with that one. Plus being a longer a cruise it most probably will be a more relaxed.crowd. If you can get the time I'd go for this.

Enjoy your cruising days.

It really boils down to the price. We've done both the 11 day (3 times) and the 14 day (2 times) cruises. Check out the itineraries and decide. We especially enjoyed the overnight stay this past winter on the Eclipse in Aruba. But I think that has changed for 2018. Since that 14 day cruise will end in 2018, then if it's in your budget and to your liking,then by all means, take it.

We've done the 14-day exotic Caribbean twice and are booked for it again next March. It's a great cruise, perfect for your preference to "sit on the beach sipping mocktails or paddle and look at the fish etc..."

My sister and I have done this 14 day Southern several times, and it never disappoints. We are beach people and you can't beat these southern Caribbean islands for that. We have just booked the Eclipse once more on the 4-1-18 sailing and, once again, are looking forward to seeing our familiar beaches, as well as some new ones.

By the way, the 4-1 cruise does not stop at St Thomas.

Donna

Thank you for your help!! I quite like the look of this itinery https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruises/rf-11-night-ultimate-caribbean-cruise/rf11l073/20190218/

It's Nov 18 or Feb 19. Is Nov a bad time to go? It's much cheaper so I'm assuming so. I appreciate the help!! Gran Cayman Stingray City looks fun

I googled through all the islands and ports and these ones look more me than Costa Rica and Panama though seeing sloths would be awesome.

Are the Caribbean islands fairly disabled accessible? I'm not in a wheelchair yet but stairs inclines etc are becoming a bigger problem everyday.

Thank you again!

We took a similar Southern Caribbean cruise last November and generally had very good weather. Aruba was rained out and we stayed aboard, but sun and warmth elsewhere.

Bear in mind that Grand Cayman is a tender port and that getting aboard the tender and reboarding the ship might be a challenge. Being further North, weather could be trickier at that time of year and I understand that ships skip Grand Cayman more often than other ports because of unsettled seas.

Thank you for your help!! I quite like the look of this itinery https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruises/rf-11-night-ultimate-caribbean-cruise/rf11l073/20190218/

It's Nov 18 or Feb 19. Is Nov a bad time to go? It's much cheaper so I'm assuming so. I appreciate the help!! Gran Cayman Stingray City looks fun

I googled through all the islands and ports and these ones look more me than Costa Rica and Panama though seeing sloths would be awesome.

Are the Caribbean islands fairly disabled accessible? I'm not in a wheelchair yet but stairs inclines etc are becoming a bigger problem everyday.

Thank you again!

November is the last month of hurricane season so that's likely why prices are lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

November is the last month of hurricane season so that's likely why prices are lower.

Thank you! I'll give that a miss then ;) noticed your doing italy & greek isles on reflection next year. Just got back, loved it! Which is your fave line for caribbean?

It really boils down to the price. We've done both the 11 day (3 times) and the 14 day (2 times) cruises. Check out the itineraries and decide. We especially enjoyed the overnight stay this past winter on the Eclipse in Aruba. But I think that has changed for 2018. Since that 14 day cruise will end in 2018, then if it's in your budget and to your liking,then by all means, take it.

I agree 100%. Anywhere in the Caribbean would be perfect to rest and relax. Price is what I would leaning toward.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you! I'll give that a miss then ;) noticed your doing italy & greek isles on reflection next year. Just got back, loved it! Which is your fave line for caribbean?

Sorry, been away from the boards for a few weeks. My favorite cruise line for Caribbean and anywhere is Celebrity right now. We are trying NCL again in January after being away from them for 7 years as part of a back-to-back with a Celebrity Silhouette cruise.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, been away from the boards for a few weeks. My favorite cruise line for Caribbean and anywhere is Celebrity right now. We are trying NCL again in January after being away from them for 7 years as part of a back-to-back with a Celebrity Silhouette cruise.

Hi WonderMan3,

I was catching up on your Eclipse Jan 22 review. And I noticed from your signature that you were in both Sky and RS. We have been in Sky a few times and is booked in RS. I would like to get your view on how you compare the two. I know it is off the topic for this thread. Is it ok if we take it offline? My email is wvz168 at yahoo dot com. Thank you very much.

Valerie

It's Nov 18 or Feb 19. Is Nov a bad time to go? It's much cheaper so I'm assuming so. I appreciate the help!! Gran Cayman Stingray City looks fun ��

Thank you again!

That's a nice but challenging itinerary...Cartagena will be very hot! Grand Cayman is s tender port. Celeb offers easy excursions in most ports for those with ,limited mobility..

While not technically a Carribbean cruise, you might consider doing a full Panama Canal transit on the Infinity. Lots of relaxing sea days and interesting ports. Also, I concur with the other posters who recommend the 14 day Eclipse itinerary. We have done both cruises several times and I believe that you can not go wrong with either itinerary.

Another option not mentioned is a b2b on the Summit if it is offered. The cruises are out of San Juan. Last year only one port was repeated and that was St. Thomas which gave us the chance to go to both St. Thomas and St. John. Turn around day in San Juan might be a good time to tour the Baccardi Rum factory. It is on level ground.

Hurricane season technically ends Dec. 1st thus the lower rates for November cruises.

It's Nov 18 or Feb 19. Is Nov a bad time to go? It's much cheaper so I'm assuming so. I appreciate the help!! Gran Cayman Stingray City looks fun ��

Thank you again!

Am cruising on Reflection in February 2018 with this itinerary. It is going to be a memorable cruise for me as I am celebrating a birthday. We've got some fun excursions planned with Aruba Trikes, Bonaire Vista Tours, and Dora the Explorer (Cartagena).

IMHO you can't go wrong with the 14 day Eclipse cruise. We took it this January and loved it so much we are doing it again next year. Can't believe they are doing away with it!

I would not fear cruising in November. Yes, it is the tail end of hurricane season, but odds are you will be fine. Hurricanes are very rare the further south you get - the ABC islands are rarely hit with them. If there is bad weather the cruise ship will reroute as best they can.

It is true that Grand Cayman is a tender port and sometimes can be skipped due to rough seas. Hate to tempt fate by saying this but I have been there about 10 times with no issues. Getting on and off tenders can be tricky for those with mobility issues but if you can get by with a cane or walker then chances are you are mobile enough to board and disembark the tender - the crew are very, very helpful. In fact, I have been on cruises where a number of wheelchair bound passengers were taken onboard. If the seas are a bit rough that makes it harder for that group of passengers but normally they can deal with it. All the other ports on that itinerary are docked, and most of them are either very close to shore (i.e., not a long pier) or there is some kind of shuttle or other help getting down the dock. If by chance you choose to stay onboard (or cannot handle disembarking) it is very nice and relaxing to just hang out on the ship.