Vancouver hotel recommendations

We will be spending one night in Vancouver before our cruise next year.... any recommendations on a nice, clean hotel that is near things to see/do/eat and close to the port? The Pan Pacific looks fantastic, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much... I'd like to spend less than $300.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the Pinnacle Harbourfront last year. It was terrific. Close to harbor, very clean ... and if you are as lucky as we were, the hotel car will be free to take you to the nearby cruise port when you're ready to go!

I've stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle which is very convenient to the port and also check out the St. Regis. It is a charming boutique hotel and has a free breakfast and wine hour in the evening. You can sometimes get a good rate.

@vacationlover: To clarify.... which dates are you looking at hotels? We can make better suggestions knowing the rate as prices go up and down with demand.

Yes there are savings a few blocks away from the cruise terminal.

... and, Pan Pacific looks so great... but that price is so high! We will be there around 1pm the day before, and would like a place within walking distance to cool things to see/eat... it's our first time to Vancouver :)

YWCA Hotel - meets all your criteria at the best price in the region and is consistently rated in the top 20ish hotels in the city. At ~US$120 a night incl taxes, even in peak season, for regular hotels rooms (double or twin with private bath) you could plough the savings into having an absolutely stellar meal, taking a tour, getting seriously liquored-up or whatever else floats your boat!;)

... and, Pan Pacific looks so great... but that price is so high! We will be there around 1pm the day before, and would like a place within walking distance to cool things to see/eat... it's our first time to Vancouver :)

"Cool things to see/eat..." The Pan Pacific is within easy walking distance of Gastown with lots of nice restaurants/cafes; it is a scenic area as well. Across the street from the Pan Pacific is the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel whose rates may be slightly less than Pan Pacific's. An underground tunnel system connects these two hotels with a Food Court between them and goes for some distance as well. It is not a far or difficult walk to get to the central business district of Vancouver from either of these hotels.

Since this will be your first visit to Vancouver, I strongly urge you to consider a Hop On/Off bus tour of the city. There are (at least there were, don't know if there has been a change) two different routes and both are worthwhile as an introduction to a first time visitor, I think.

Vancouver is a great city and one where there is always something to do/see.

We are staying June 14, 2018 :)
Looking at booking.com in USD for June 14, 2018 for two adults...

• $67 Barclay » check reviews for potential issues
  • $166 Days Inn » 3 blocks from cruise terminal, check online reviews for potential issues
  • $241 Auberge » 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $262 Hampton downtown » fav for Hilton point collectors
  • $298 Pinnacle Harbourfront » 5 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $346 Sheraton Wall Centre
  • $346 Westin Grand
  • $358 Shangri La
  • $368 Westin Bayshore » fav for those wanting a stroll around Stanley Park
  • $383 Hyatt Regency
  • $440 Rosewood
  • $451 Fairmont Vancouver
  • $466 Fairmont Waterfront » you sleep across the street from the cruise terminal
  • $564 Fairmont Pacific Rim » 3 blocks from cruise terminal

I think it's too early for June 2018 hotels at this time. I would check again in January or February to see if they have better rates.

Comparing rates for June 27th, 2017 (a similar date) as an example....

• $105 Barclay
  • $195 Blue Horizon » a forum fav for value travelers
  • $218 Rosedale » suites!!!
  • $230 Pinnacle Harbourfront
  • $285 Wall Centre
  • $301 Hampton Inn
  • $309 Holiday Inn
  • $319 Fairmont Vancouver
  • $323 Hyatt Regency
  • $328 Auberge
  • $332 Fairmont Waterfront
  • $338 Pan Pacific » you sleep above the cruise terminal
  • $376 Westin Bayshore
  • $398 Pinnacle Downtown
  • $418 Shangri-La
  • $426 Delta
  • $454 Fairmont Pacific Rim

So for under $300 a night....

• $241 Auberge is my pick for your June 2018 date. I haven't stayed there, so check reviews. Love the location being 3 blocks from the cruise terminal.
  • consider staying a few extra days at your bonus port. Vancouver has lots of activities to check out.

If you have points at a hotel guest program, be sure to check it out. On our Visa card we can exchange points for Hyatt points at a good rate (1 to 1) and were about to book the Hyatt Regency for 12,000 points. Since this hotel normally costs over $300/night, we felt that this was a very good use of points.

I wish those rates were applicable during my visit! I couldn't find anything special going on in town that weekend driving up prices. I guess end of July is just popular in general.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

July 21-23. I believe that is the weekend prior to Celebration of Lights.
I was going to say it's one of the slower weekends. With less than a month.... there's a price premium. With Deadpool July filming around the cruise terminal.... that does not help.

Looking at booking.com in USD for two adults on two nights (July 21-23).

• $811 Sutton Place
  • $870 Fairmont Waterfront
  • $924 Hyatt Regency
  • $975 Pan Pacific
  • $987 Shangri-La
  • $993 Marriott Pinnacle
  • $1023 Rosewood
  • $1040 Fairmont Pacific Rim
  • $1055 Westmin Bayshore

In the Richmond suburbs

• $425 Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport
  • $428 Coast Vancouver Airport
  • $534 Radisson Vancouver Airport » $4 subway downtown in 20 minutes
  • $538 Fairmont Vancouver Airport » you sleep above the US terminal

So- a subjective question... :). Is the Pan Pacific "worth it"? Right now it's at $499 per night...
Depends....

• which cruise date is the $499? Sorry, I've looked up several dates with prices in these forums for various people.
  • is that USD or Loonies? EDIT.... just went back and noticed you are asking about July 14, 2018. From that list.... Auberge looks great for savings.
  • how does the price compare to hotels across the street (Fairmont Waterfront) and down the road (Fairmont Pacific Rim)?
  • how does it compare to other nearby hotels for that given date? Especially when other hotels are a short walk or a $10 cab ride away.
  • the Pan Pacific is over 30 years old. But the service, convenience, views, and reviews may justify the price premium.

For someone who stays at motels and prefers to drag their luggage themselves..... I'm looking for sub $200 bargains. I would rather spend the savings for extra nights to explore Vancouver or check out a few nice restaurants.

I had started looking several months ago and the prices were really high so I thought I might have better luck waiting. The prices have been pretty consistent during my checking every few weeks although availability was dwindling. I finally reserved the Marriott last month but continue to check around.

• 2 weeks later...

We're looking for the night of Sept 29, 2017 for 1 night and are surprised at the prices.

Do the downtown hotels offer complimentary shuttle from the airport? If not, does anyone know how much that costs?

We're currently booked into the Westin Wall Centre at around $300 (to include breakfast). I've been told they may have complimentary airport shuttle but fare to the port may be around $50. Can anyone offer insight into this?

Thank you!!

We're looking for the night of Sept 29, 2017 for 1 night and are surprised at the prices.

Do the downtown hotels offer complimentary shuttle from the airport? If not, does anyone know how much that costs?

We're currently booked into the Westin Wall Centre at around $300 (to include breakfast). I've been told they may have complimentary airport shuttle but fare to the port may be around $50. Can anyone offer insight into this?

Looking at booking.com in USD for Sept 29 for two people. Here are some popular options....

• $77 Barclay » check reviews.... elevator may be an issue
  • $148 Empire Landmark » great location, check reviews
  • $161 Days Inn » check reviews
  • $202 Century Plaza » check reviews
  • $225 Blue Horizon » popular choice for value travelers
  • $245 Holiday Inn Downtown
  • $266 Pinnacle Harbourfront
  • $280 Metropolitan
  • $296 Sheraton Wall Centre
  • $310 Marriott Pinnacle
  • $311 Westin Bayshore
  • $324 Sutton Place
  • $335 Westin Grand
  • $351 Fairmont Vancouver
  • $385 Pan Pacific » you sleep above the cruise terminal
  • $394 L'Hermitage
  • $417 Auberge
  • $430 Fairmont Waterfront
  • $452 Hyatt Regency

For Richmond as a comparison

• $162 Radisson Vancouver Airport » my fav with a 20 minute downtown subway ride (station is across the street)
  • $233 Westin Wall Centre
  • $280 River Rock Resort

late September is LOW season. Those a great prices, especially compared to summer rates.

Hmm.... I see Coldplay is at BC Place on the 29th. Miranda Lambert is at Rogers Arena. This will introduce some congestion during the evening concert time.