New TSA rule for travel to USA this week?

phabric

This week there is a new rule for TSA for travel to USA that all electronics bigger than a phone needs to be charged up and out of their cases.

I have no problem with that. My question is, I bought a flip cases for my I Pad, Kindle ( you put I Pad, Kindle on one side and flip the cover on the other.

I travel on Sunday to Seattle and is hard to get the I Pad and Kindle out of their cases and would want to do it at home before the airport.

Do I need to take my I pad, Kindle out of these type of case?

This is not just applicable to flights from Mexico and Canada, it applies to flights into the US from everywhere...105 countries, and approximately 280 airports.

You can't rely on headlines and a report from a television station in Kalispell, Montana as being definitive because Glacier Park International Airport is hardly a major hub of international flight arrivals. Even so, if you read the report carefully, you'll see it does mention 280 airports. The same is true for the other news report quoted. The headline says Mexico, but the body of the report tells the more complete story, although it incorrectly says 208 airports rather than 280.

For the real story you can read the TSA's factsheet:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/06/28/fact-sheet-aviation-enhanced-security-measures-all-commercial-flights-united-states

As far as the OP's specific question...I'm not sure. Certainly what you're describing...laptop or tablet in a flip open case is fine for TSA's screening in US airports, but it's not certain that will also be true for the new screening required for inbound international flights.

Edited by njhorseman

This week there is a new rule for TSA for travel to USA that all electronics bigger than a phone needs to be charged up and out of their cases.

I have no problem with that. My question is, I bought a flip cases for my I Pad, Kindle ( you put I Pad, Kindle on one side and flip the cover on the other.

I travel on Sunday to Seattle and is hard to get the I Pad and Kindle out of their cases and would want to do it at home before the airport.

Do I need to take my I pad, Kindle out of these type of case?

This week at Toronto Airport YYZ, they announced they were starting Enchanced Security Measures for electronics bigger than a phone for travel to the USA.

Air Canada and Westjet advised people traveling to the USA before 10am arrive 3 hours early and after 10am arrive 2 hours.

In my experience, "out of the case" is usually interpreted as "out of a separate container". If the "case" is more of a "cover", then you usually don't have to remove the device all the way down to the bare. Protective "cases" for a phone or iPod or tablet are usually handled as is. What they are talking about are the bags (made of whatever - leather, neoprene, nylon) that the device slips into for a carrying purposes. I'd say that if it has a zipper or latches or velcro, and if the device is removed from it for use, that's the kind that you need to remove from at security..

I have a flip-open cover on my tablet, a rear clamshell on my phone and iPod. Even at the strictest inspections around the world, those have been fine. But I have to take the iPod out of a little bag that also carried the headphones and charger wire. And the tablet comes out of the neoprene sleeve.

It's typical bureaucratic language, designed to be as clear as Amazon River water.

The one thing you do want to consider is making sure you have a FULL battery charge in all devices. A potential red-flag is low battery, which could indicate that the original battery has been substituted with a smaller one and some nefarious "stuff".

They will likely be doing trace swabs on gadgets, so prep for that delay.

IMO, this is still better than putting all of those lithium batteries into the cargo hold.

What it also likely means is confusion the first few days and longer lines to get through security so good idea to arrive to the airport earlier.

I too think it is much better then the idea of checking in all of the electronic equipment and worrying that it will be stolen or broken.

Keith

I too think it is much better then the idea of checking in all of the electronic equipment and worrying that it will be stolen or broken.
I cannot help wonder about the incidence of theft of electronic equipment at security checkpoints.

Tag-Team Security

Flying with a partner? Team up to make sure your electronics join you on the other side of the X-ray. Send one person through the body scanner and metal detector while the second person waits a few places behind you in line with all of your valuables. Then the first person can watch the electronics come through in case the second person is selected for additional screening, keeping laptops, cameras, and other valuables safe from sticky fingers at the checkpoint.

I cannot help wonder about the incidence of theft of electronic equipment at security checkpoints.

I hear you but to me I would rather be safe then sorry in terms of what is taken on planes.

I think one of the biggest issues is people leaving items at the security checkpoint rather then something being stolen.

What I do is place items such as my carry on bag first and then other items that are not valuable and finally I place the valuable ones last.

This usually allows me to get through before the valuables make it through the machine.

I don't place the first item onto the belt until the person ahead of me makes it through the checkpoint.

When traveling with my wife I will put items such as my wallet etc in her purse. I will go first.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I have returned from my cruise and wanted to tell my experience with the new TSA ruling.

In Toronto YYZ, everyone was told to put iPad, laptops In their own bin. I asked about my flip cover for my iPad and kindle and was told it was ok, just put them in their own bin. In Canada, shoes are removed if travelling to the States, shoes are keep on if travelling within Canada.

In Seatle SEA, everyone was told keep laptop, iPad in carry bags.

I hear you but to me I would rather be safe then sorry in terms of what is taken on planes.

I think one of the biggest issues is people leaving items at the security checkpoint rather then something being stolen.

What I do is place items such as my carry on bag first and then other items that are not valuable and finally I place the valuable ones last.

This usually allows me to get through before the valuables make it through the machine.

I don't place the first item onto the belt until the person ahead of me makes it through the checkpoint.

When traveling with my wife I will put items such as my wallet etc in her purse. I will go first.

Keith

Us too

We use logistics when placing our stuff in bins and when deciding what goes where

We also go through in certain order

The 1st through supervises the stuff from the front and the last from the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Forums