Wildfires near Vancouver

I was just reading that the air quality has been affected in metro Vancouver. We were planning to go to Grouse & Capilano on August 11. We were also planning to go up to Squamish on August 19(Landsea Tours) & Victoria(Prince of Whales tour) on August 20.

Yes there is a haze over Vancouver right now, I saw the Island PCL in port this morning and she looked a little more amber.

Last week there was really no haze down here and the forest fires were doing different things.

It can change so quickly.

Some fires are contained and some are new.

Keep watching the Weather Network for updates on the Air Quality Statements and you could look at CBC or Global BC news or Vancouver Sun Paper online to see what's going on with the air and the forest fires.

Edited by KristyMisty14

Thoughts....

• air quality varies day by day and August 11 is a week away.
  • Vancouver usually has good airflow compared to further inland, but even yesterday I noticed Grouse was not visible.
  • It's not just Vancouver. Nearby Seattle had flight delays from the smoke.

I can't recall Vancouver proper being impacted for more than a couple of days at a time in fire situations like this - but this week might be the exception, with winds going toward the coast for several days (unusual) bringing in lots of particulates from the fires. Barring another similar occurrence next week though, which isn't forecast, the city proper should have minimal impact. Squish and parts further north could have issues though - keep your eye on forecasts and alerts from official sources e.g. this page.

Right now even Portland is seeing the haze - that's six hours drive south!

Ugh, it's awful for me right now. My eyes are weeping and they say this particulate gets down into your lungs... not good for someone like myself with a compromised immune system.

As mentioned, your date is more than a week away so there is still time for things to change. Or not. Simply put: we don't know. :o

I live Downtown, not terible, besides the fact you can not the beautiful blue skies.

If you have a respiratory conditions or are elderly avoid strenuous outdoor activity

https://gis.metrovancouver.org/maps/Air

for current air quality conditions

Bookmarked - very useful, thank you. Today looks worse than yesterday - I could actually taste it this morning when I woke up so had to shut all windows earlier than yesterday. Still, we've got it pretty good considering others just a few tens of miles away are off the scale - and it's probably still nicer than an average summer day in LA or virtually any day at all in Beijing!

OP Izjezted, I'm not sure if you will come back to this thread, but the air quality in the Vancouver area remains poor. It is not expected to clear until possibly this coming weekend. You might want to rethink the Grouse Mountain plans as the smoke is prevalent even at sea level.

We, in Seattle, have had huge effect from fires. Air quality worst in the nation. Worst in Seattle history, flights delayed from poor visibility etc.

Could not see more than 2 miles ahead. Breathing and health issues resulted in warnings not to exercise outside. We are getting rain tomorrow and hopefully, we will have clean air again.

It was kind of a win-win situation. You could feel the wind on Saturday signalling the change in weather and blowing out the haze. It was nice having a bit of rain after a long dry stretch. Even better was that the bulk of it was overnight.