Am I cutting my flight too close

carma7007

I am on a Princess cruise in September. We are set to arrive in NY at 0700. I have a flight back to CA at 11 out of La Guardia airport on SWA.

Was this a good choice? I have never flown or cruised from here before.

Thank you

Just an FYI ... typically if the ship arrives at 7am, it doesn't mean you are walking off the ship AT 7am. It might have been a good move to ask this before booking the flight. Also, a search here on CC, you'll see this info. in other threads and on the whole, CC members pretty much SCREAM to arrive a day early and fly out either much later in the day (if flight is possible) or fly next day after docking.

From what I can see, it's returning from NE/Canada 7 days, last port @Halifax, NS - unclear if that's clearing CBP here in NY, docking at Red Hook, Brooklyn Pier - could be 9/17, 9/23 or 9/30 (Saturday or Sunday) ??? - where traffic "tend" to be lighter in the morning hours, weather cooperating & no major incidents on the highway (I-278 a/k/a BQE Expwy). There are long-term, ongoing constructions over the Brooklyn-Queens border but once in a car service or taxi, travel time could be anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes ... LGA's ongoing airport construction should NOT be a factor for the AM hours, maybe a 5 to 10 minutes delay once inside the airport's service roadways.

It's doable but virtually zero provisions for delays from disembarkation to getting thru TSA - airport security. I would aim to get priority/express self walk-off ASAP once the ship is cleared and certainly off the ship & done with border control/customs & outside - in ground transportation by 8:30 AM.

Unlike Manhattan pier, don't know how often ships are delayed with disembarkation & there's only 1 ship docked ... unlike across town where there could be 2 or even 3 ships doing turnaround.

OP is from CA so this is a connecting flight via SWA's hub airports. If possible, I would be more (IMO) comfortable switching to a later flight, just to mitigate any unknown surprises - even if that meant paying for a change fees for an afternoon flight.

Yes you are cutting it too tight.

I have been on a couple of cruises when a flight at that time would have been missed.

You could arrive late. There could be a delay in immigration and certainly traffic to the airport and the lines at the airport could be an issue.

Also I am not sure if you have TSA Pre Check but if you don't my thinking is that with the upcoming change requiring people to take all electronics out of their carry on that are larger then a smart phone will result in longer wait times to get through airport security.

If it was me I would not book a flight at 11:00 AM.

Keth

If you were arriving into Port Everglades and flying out of FLL that would be one thing. But getting through NYC traffic to LGA? That's another story. Since you've already booked, I'll just make these suggestions:

Do NOT put your luggage out the night before. Do self-disembarkation, where you carry ALL your own luggage off the ship. It puts you in the first group to disembark, as soon as the ship is cleared (could still be an hour after scheduled docking time, so be aware of that) and saves time having to look for your luggage with the masses. Make sure your customs form is filled out in advance, and don't buy anything during the cruise that you have to declare to customs. (i.e. more than the allowable amount of liquor, big jewelry etc. Your port souvenirs are fine, they don't need to be individually declared and won't put you over the amount you can buy duty-free)

Do NOT rely on a ship transfer to the airport. Those buses don't leave the port until they are full so you could be sitting for an hour. Fastest way will be to grab a cab, since they will be lined up and waiting.

If you can do the cruise with just carry on bags that would be great. It means you won't have to check-in and check bags when you get to the airport. Instead you can check in online to get a mobile boarding pass, and go straight to security at the airport.

Do you have TSA Pre-Check? This is one of those times when it would be extremely handy to have, as it will usually expedite the process of getting through security.

I went ahead and changed my flights. Thank you to all who responded. I wasn't charged any fees and now I don't have to worry.

Wonderful news.

Now you can enjoy the entire cruise without having to worry. To me that is great. Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

I don't leave until about 430.
This new Plan A is vastly better. Better to get home or check into the hotel late than not getting there at all due to missing flight connections - in the old days, airlines were like shuttles - none of this ... getting to the airport at least 90 minutes out even with Pre-Check & jam into a metal tin can for 3 or 4 hours.

Enjoy a leisure breakfast onboard, be among the last to come off & watch the herd races for the gangway. SWA shared Terminal B with American, United & others (except Delta/co-share partner flights) ... with a nice food court, land-side and free WiFi available inside the terminal. Food & beverage beyond security/check point are limited - plan for a "to go" supper with the transcon flight's connection.

Take your time getting to LGA, no matter what traffic is like - might even want to get adventurous & take the "E" subway line out to Queens & connect free to Q70-SBS bus service to the terminal. Amex Lounge access (3rd level - above arrival ... where my once favorite Red Carpet Club (UA) used to be, I think) is another way to relax until boarding time, if you have membership - or, Day Pass is $50

I went ahead and changed my flights. Thank you to all who responded. I wasn't charged any fees and now I don't have to worry.

Smart move, last thing you want to do is stress the last few days of your cruise...I always do the same, despite my DH grumbling about touring around and waiting...I'd rather be waiting then running through an airport terminal!