Iguazu Falls from Rio - self-tour doable?

asebastian

Hi All,

As the title says, we're looking to spend 2 nights at the falls area and do our own trip instead of using a tour company. Checked a few of the recommendations here and find them so expensive (quoted USD999 per person including flights). Skyscanner lists return flights from Rio for as low as USD180, so it seems the tours have a huge mark-up; even if they include accommodation for 2 nights.

We're looking to do both Brazilian and Argentinian sides. Looking for hotel recommendations (3 star in a good locale is fine). I understand that we can use local taxis to get across the border, however we don't speak any Spanish so do we need a local guide as well?

Will continue searching other threads here, but please to accept any recommendations and comments.

Thank you.

We (me, husband, sister and brother-in-law) did exactly this last January! It was the absolute highlight of a wonderful vacation that started with a Los Angeles to Rio 31 day cruise.

After the cruise we spent two nights in Rio and then flew to Iguacu on TAM airlines. We reserved 11 months in advance and the round trip fare for the 1 hour 45 minute flight was $218 each.

In Foz Do Iguacu we stayed at the San Juan Eco Hotel - a short taxi ride from the aiport and to the Brazilian Falls and the Bird Park. It is a lovely hotel in a park like setting with very accomodating staff. It included breakfast, and had a great dinner buffet for a very reasonable (downright cheap) price. They also had an on-site travel agency that arranged transportation for us to the Argentine Falls. We just called a cab for transportation to the Bird Park and the Brazilian Falls. The very comfortable rooms were $71/night. We spent 2 nights.

Our itinerary was:

• Friday - flew from Rio to Iguacu on TAM at 10:30 am, arrived at 1 pm, checked into the hotel, spent a couple of hours at the Bird Park (we all really enjoyed it but especially my brother-in-law who is a birder).
  • Saturday - spent the entire day at the Argentine side of the Falls. It was crowded (being a weekend) but breathtaking. No need whatsoever for a guide (you will get a park map in English) although our van driver did point out highlights on the park map before giving us instructions on where to meet him in the afternoon.
  • Sunday morning - spent at the Brazilian side of the Falls. Even more spectacular than the Argentine side in my opinion but a couple of hours is sufficient since the area covered is much smaller (there are 3 hiking trails on the Argentine side). Again, no need for a guide since you will be given a park map in English.
  • Sunday afternoon - flew back to Rio at 4:00 pm, arrived at 5:45 pm, collected luggage and went and checked in for our 11 pm United flight. Spent the evening in the United lounge.

I was also a little hesitant to DIY this but with the encouragement of many of posters here (especially VidaNaPraia) we decided that we could do this. We are so glad we did. For us it was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity and it couldn't have gone more smoothly.

Added: I don't know your nationality, but if you are from the US be aware that you will need a Brazilian visa. Last year they cost $160 per person. That was another reason we decided to extend our cruise to include the Falls. We had to go to the trouble of getting a visa for the cruise disembarking in Rio, we might as well put it to good use and see a little more of Brazil.

Edited by capriccio

Glad I was of help, capriccio.

---------

asebastian---

You CAN do it yourself.

People in the area are used to tourists, so lack of local languages (Portuguese in Brazil, btw) shouldn't be a handicap.

There are taxis and the local public buses for getting to the parks and across the border.

No guide needed in the park(s).

In the town of Foz, try Hotel Del Rey, which has a small plunge pool for after a hot day walking aroun, and close to the bus depot. There are also some resort-y type places on the road between the town and the park (any with a "km #" address).

Have fun.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement to DIY. I've done more research and yes, we will be booking the flights and other bits ourselves. At this stage we're looking to spend 3 days and 2 nights at the falls.

Haven't decided yet where we would be staying, the Argentinean side or Brazilian size. Both sides seem to have reasonable quality hotels within our price range.

We're from Australia so need visas for Brazil and Argentina (as well as Chile) - we'll be on the South America and Antarctica cruise with Holland America. After Brazil will head of to Peru before returning home. At least Peru is visa-free for us.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement to DIY. I've done more research and yes, we will be booking the flights and other bits ourselves. At this stage we're looking to spend 3 days and 2 nights at the falls.

Have a wonderful trip - the falls are truly awe inspiring!

We did our own tour from Buenos Aires. It was very east to arrange. We read up on Tripadvisor. Everyone claimed that a tour guide was not necessary. They were right.

The cost was much less than the packages and about a bird of the cruise ship excursion price. We booked our air by calling Aerolineas direct in BA. That saved us each $100. From the sky scanner/Expedia/matrix it quoted prices.

We considered the Sheraton but instead stayed at the Jardin Igouzu. So glad we did. The Sheraton is nice, near the falls, and quite expensive. We much preferred being in towm where we could walk around at night and try some excellent restaurants.

This was one of the highlight of our 8 week cruise and land trip. Highly recommend it.