Livorno to Florence

is it easy to get to Florence from Livorno without going on a trip from the ship. It's £40 ea to go from the ship just wondered if it could be done cheaper on our own. Next week we dock at marina di Carrara so doing Pisa one week and Florence the next so does anyone know which port is better for getting to Pisa and Florence.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

It's very easy to get from Livorno to Florence by train but it's quite a distance so you would need to set off very early. You will need to take the bus to the station as it's quite a way. We also visited Lucca from Livorno and that's a lovely walled city - the train stops right outside the city walls and we broke the train journey on the way back and called off at Pisa (same line) for a while. We had a great day out and there were several people from our ship on the train but you do need to be confident in DIY travelling and allow plenty of time to get back. Good luck:)

is it easy to get to Florence from Livorno without going on a trip from the ship. It's £40 ea to go from the ship just wondered if it could be done cheaper on our own. Next week we dock at marina di Carrara so doing Pisa one week and Florence the next so does anyone know which port is better for getting to Pisa and Florence.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

You may find this of interest. http://www.livornonow.com/direct_bus_service_from_livorno_to_pisa_and_florence

not sure if I'm as confident as you.

That is why I suggested the tour bus - shuttle bus from the ship takes you straight to the tourist office where the bus leaves from so need to worry about validating tickets etc.

Cool!!! I love high temperatures when on the coast no problem but in a city where there is no breeze, high humidity and no shade when visiting sites of interest - too hot for me We're on this trip mid Sept and hope the temperatures have dropped to mid /high 20s by then and in Rome and Pompeii as well