How is Aer Lingus?

TrqoisWtrs

I'm going to be doing my first transatlantic from Barcelona in May. :) I've been checking out airfares and Aer Lingus seems ok, with a decent price for business class (compared to AA which wanted more than that just for economy!)

Any opinions on them? I would have about an hour and half connection in Dublin - is that enough to clear Customs and get to my gate?

Thanks.

I see a problem with the 90mins time. But if Aer Lingus is giving it to you then so be it, its their problem to put you on another flight back home.

The issue here is that you will need to clear immigration and customs in Dublin and then need to clear United States Immigration and Customs in Dublin as well. Dublin is a pre-clearance airport, so you will do all your United States immigration process in Dublin. This takes time too. So you have to get off the plane, pick up your bags and go through immigration and customs twice.

As for Aer Lingus, they are tending to have good fares and be very competitive with some of the low cost airlines.

From pictures it looks like their Business Class product is good, but sometimes it is dependent on the type of airplane you are flying as well. Business class will be good back to the U.S. intra-european business class is usually noting like domestic business or first class here in the states.

Can you clarify? Are you on a one-way transatlantic cruise TO Barcelona in May, and are you talking about flying BACK?

If you're flying from the US to Spain, you wouldn't be clearing customs in Dublin at all. It's a sterile transit at DUB; Ireland isn't in Schengen, so nothing will happen except a security check between flights. You'll go through passport control and customs at BCN.

Coming back, US preclearance in DUB is factored into the timing on any connecting flights as long as they're on the same ticket. It's nothing to worry about, and it really speeds things up when you land back in the US.

Can you clarify? Are you on a one-way transatlantic cruise TO Barcelona in May, and are you talking about flying BACK?

If you're flying from the US to Spain, you wouldn't be clearing customs in Dublin at all. It's a sterile transit at DUB; Ireland isn't in Schengen, so nothing will happen except a security check between flights. You'll go through passport control and customs at BCN.

Coming back, US pre clearance in DUB is factored into the timing on any connecting flights as long as they're on the same ticket. It's nothing to worry about, and it really speeds things up when you land back in the US.

Because DUB is not Schengen I believe (come correct me if I am wrong) you would need to clear immigration (passport control) on the flight from BCN and then because of the pre-clearance issue would need to collect the luggage and then go through U.S. immigration and custom.

It seems like the OP just needs one-way back from BCN-DUB-USA. But without picking up the bags how does the OP clear customs to go to the U.S.?

Ok, yes, sorry that wasn't very clear.

I am flying to Barcelona and will be cruising back to NY. So it would just be the one way on Aer Lingus, from Chicago to Barcelona, connecting in Dublin. (May 2018 if that matters.)

Thanks!

Right, then it's as I said The Aer Lingus people will check your passport at ORD and will tag your bags to Barcelona. At Dublin you'll go through a security check and then proceed to your departure gate for Barcelona. At Barcelona you'll go through passport control, then retrieve your bags and walk through the "nothing to declare" exit from bag claim/customs. The end.

We are flying Aer Lingus to Berlin, changing planes in Dublin. First / business class was not available thru ezair. I am hoping I have a chance to upgrade at check in. I tried to upgrade over the phone months ago but they said I had to wait. Wish they were like Delta, two weeks ago I upgraded to first class when I checked in 24 hours ahead.

Has anyone tried to upgrade at check in?

We have the exit row seats butshould have my feet up. I have been spoiled with being able to stretch out and sleepin business class . I have a blood clot issue so I need to be careful.

I also noticed on their site that carry on bags have a weight limit. Is this true?? Do they weight them?

Thanks

Wowzz,

I have always thought there should be limits. Look at all the luggage people drag on. I talked to a flight crew once and they said it is not worth the trouble to confront people and tell them they have too much baggage so they just let people get by. Or when they weigh your bag at check in and it is over the limit so people just pull out of line and take heavy things out. We pack light so I doubt we will have an issue.

I have flown on many different airlines and not one weighed bags or had restrictions, other than a hillicopter tour. I just want to be prepared.

You answer really was not clear. Yes, weight limits are put on for a reason

But

Do they weight all of them? It does say 22 pounds on their Web site. And if so, you are allowed one carry on and one personal one, so is the 22 pounds for each one or a combined weight? I can see people getting upset if 5 people don't have to weight theirs and then, the next one does and it is 2 pounds over.

Maybe Mexico with their red and green lights at customs was way ahead of their time.

We are flying Aer Lingus to Berlin, changing planes in Dublin. First / business class was not available thru ezair. I am hoping I have a chance to upgrade at check in. I tried to upgrade over the phone months ago but they said I had to wait. Wish they were like Delta, two weeks ago I upgraded to first class when I checked in 24 hours ahead.

Has anyone tried to upgrade at check in?

We have the exit row seats butshould have my feet up. I have been spoiled with being able to stretch out and sleepin business class . I have a blood clot issue so I need to be careful.

If you really wanted business class, there were MANY other way to buy it than ezair. Do not in any way assume that you can "buy up" at check-in.

I also noticed on their site that carry on bags have a weight limit. Is this true?? Do they weight them?

No, they just put that there to annoy their American customers.

Read what it says. Don't assume anything other than that there will be enforcement of their regulations.

Right, then it's as I said The Aer Lingus people will check your passport at ORD and will tag your bags to Barcelona. At Dublin you'll go through a security check and then proceed to your departure gate for Barcelona. At Barcelona you'll go through passport control, then retrieve your bags and walk through the "nothing to declare" exit from bag claim/customs. The end

Thank you - always great info from you. :)

Wowzz,

I have flown on many different airlines and not one weighed bags or had restrictions, other than a hillicopter tour. I just want to be prepared.

Flew Ryan Air once (just once, never again) and they absolutely weighed carry on bags. Cost my boyfriend a small fortune.

And checked bags get weighed far more frequently, including on main line carriers.

Thanks waterbug.

My bags will be way under the limits but I just like to be prepared.

Flyer talker,

I tried many different ways to get business class. We booked the flights as soon as they came out with EZair. Within several days, that flight was not offered. I called Princess Air and they could not find it either. It was the only one with just one layover, all other flights had two or more. I called British Air twice. I called Aer Lingus and was told I Had to wait until check in. I thought of doing a different flight but half the fun of traveling with friends is being on the same flights. After, four months, all flights had 18 hour layovers and we did not want to do that. I even checked directly with the airlines and flights were waymore$$$$. I even tried my AMEX travel. So, I did check

Couldn't you have booked business class in the first place?

Sometimes you will be unable to upgrade, for many different reasons.

No,it was not offered. And like I said, all of a sudden, this flight was never offered in any class several days later.

I kept checking daily.

I did check booking directly with the airline. $12,000. I usually pay between $5,000 and $6,000. But didn't want to pay that much.

At least we have exit row seats. So we can make due.

Wish they were like Delta, two weeks ago I upgraded to first class when I checked in 24 hours ahead.

Please be aware that Delta does NOT always offer first class upgrades at check-in. I fly Delta a lot; sometimes an offer is available at check-in, sometimes it's not. Usually when it is, it's amount of money that I deem not worth paying for the length of the flight in question, though there have been exceptions. Just don't want you thinking DL always offers upgrades at check-in, and/or that they are always a "bargain."

I did check booking directly with the airline. $12,000. I usually pay between $5,000 and $6,000. But didn't want to pay that much.

Sounds like maybe your particular flights have a high level of demand, if the airline wanted $12k for them. That may be the reason the cruise line wasn't able to strike an affordable deal with the airline, and it may well be why you haven't had any luck trying to find a cheap way to upgrade your coach tickets.

Whew, lot's of questions, I'll try to answer them.

In my experience the line to clear immigration at DUB for Non-EU was short--like in one person in front of me. The EU passport holder line was longer, but I can't imagine it taking more than maybe 45-60 minutes total to get through it.

I think Aer Lingus offers a great product for the price. Don't expect Emirates, but you'll be comfortable on a clean plane with good service and pleasant flight attendants. Seats are OK, not the best but far from the worst.

Dublin isn't a very large airport, and it's easy to navigate. There's no reason to think 90 minutes wouldn't be enough time.

Aer Lingus has a "bid for upgrades" process. Starting about 4-8 weeks out depending on sales, they send out an email to everyone booked in economy offering the ability to bid on an upgrade to business class. Minimum bid (and price at the gate) is $500 per seat one way. You should also be able to access it through the web site (you'll need your ticket/confirmation #) You are notified about 24 hours in advance if your bid was accepted.

As far as carry on, they definitely seem to eyeball and will stop over sized bags, but I haven't seen them weigh cabin bags, only checked.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to be doing my first transatlantic from Barcelona in May. :) I've been checking out airfares and Aer Lingus seems ok, with a decent price for business class (compared to AA which wanted more than that just for economy!)

Any opinions on them? I would have about an hour and half connection in Dublin - is that enough to clear Customs and get to my gate?

Thanks.

We're based in Ireland and flew business class from Dublin to San Francisco last year. We've also flown long haul business class on British Airways, Etihad, Qatar & Finn Air.

To be honest BA and Aer Lingus were our least favourite business class product. Etihad were the best followed closely by Qatar. It seemed like Aer Lingus were still getting to grips with business class service although unlike BA you don't have to climb over someone mid air to get back to your business class seat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app