Geriatric Cruise?? Carnival Miracle to Hawaii

cruizergal70

I'm going on the 15 day Carnival Miracle cruise to Hawaii. I've heard that this cruise tends to attract older passengers. I believe the average age is on the upper end of 60.

I'm quite younger and I'm looking forward to cruising with a less raucous bunch.

Can someone correct or confirm the following assumptions:

1. The buffet area will be less crowded as the older people will want to use the MDR and specialty restaurants as much as possible. Plus there's the issue of standing, etc.

2. The gym should be empty at 6 am.

3. The CD will be toned down as there won't be a great need to be so "hyped."

So, am I wrong?

As someone "...on the upper end of 60" I would say you are a bit off base in your assumptions, at least as far as my on-board behavior is concerned. It's true longer cruises during school months do attract a more mature demographic, however often that demographic is likely more active and capable than some may think. It still annoys me tremendously that Segway excursions exclude people over 65 since I ride a mountain bicycle 15 miles a day without issue. ;)

Edited by joepeka

As someone "...on the upper end of 60" I would say you are a bit off base in your assumptions, at least as far as my on-board behavior is concerned. It's true longer cruises during school months do attract a more mature demographic, however often that demographic is likely more active and capable than some may think. It still annoys me tremendously that Segway excursions exclude people over 65 since I ride a bicycle 15 miles a day without issue. ;)
I was on a transpacific Hawaii cruise from Vancouver in April on the Star Princess. It definitely was my cruise with the most seniors ever - out of 67 - and this was my 3rd Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver. I would say the average age was probably 70. It was also my least favorite cruise of all my 67 cruises. Why? A combination of 3 factors. Average age, weather and condition of the ship.

I so disliked the cruise that I canceled a similar cruise on the same ship but from LA in September and decided to do on a Baltic cruise with NCL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I was on a transpacific Hawaii cruise from Vancouver in April on the Star Princess. It definitely was my cruise with the most seniors ever - out of 67 - and this was my 3rd Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver. I would say the average age was probably 70. It was also my least favorite cruise of all my 67 cruises. Why? A combination of 3 factors. Average age, weather and condition of the ship.

I so disliked the cruise that I canceled a similar cruise on the same ship but from LA in September and decided to do on a Baltic cruise with NCL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

So two thirds of the issues with this cruise were not related to the age of your fellow passengers? Regardless, I hope you really enjoy your Baltic cruise on Norwegian. A Northern Europe cruise is on my bucket list but at my age, I may not live to see it.

So two thirds of the issues with this cruise were not related to the age of your fellow passengers?

Correct. I'm being totally upfront and honest about why I didn't like the cruise. Just for the record I turn 56 in October and regularly travel with my mom who is 79 & dad who is 88. So not an ageist here, but the older demographic did influence my particular enjoyment of the cruise.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Correct. I'm being totally upfront and honest about why I didn't like the cruise. Just for the record I turn 56 in October and regularly travel with my mom who is 79 & dad who is 88. So not an ageist here, but the older demographic did influence my particular enjoyment of the cruise.

Understood. I often get aggravated with the behavior of "old people" then have to stop and remember that many would consider me one of "them" and so just live with it. :)

Can you share a few tidbits on what you experienced with the older demographics. I would think things would be quiet and peaceful.

Can you share a few tidbits on what you experienced with the older demographics. I would think things would be quiet and peaceful.

This is exactly what I was thinking. To me any cruise where I can zig when others zag is a great cruise because that means less crowd and shorter lines. I enjoy a lively crowd or a subdued crowd. Both have their advantages. And some older demographic passengers are hard to keep up with!

I don't think it matters which cruise line you cruise on though, longer cruises tend to attract more experienced passengers.

At 62, I'm quite disappointed that people feel I'm old...I have 5 children and 15 grandchildren and I still run circles around them...and yes I booked on a 14 day to Hawaii on the Splendor in. January.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

I was shocked to realize my dad just turned 67; first, I feel like my parents will perpetually be in their 30s, secondly, he is a LOT more active than I am!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was shocked to realize my dad just turned 67; first, I feel like my parents will perpetually be in their 30s, secondly, he is a LOT more active than I am!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

(y)

As my daughters might also say about me. ;)

I am going on a 14 day hawaiian cruise and am looking forward to a more laid back cruise. With 8 sea days, I do not want to be around a lot of children or have to stand in ridiculous lines. This seemed like the perfect cruise for that. The only thing I might have a problem with is that splendor lacks a lot of venues on other ships like the alchemy bar. My wife and I are in our early 20s.

Hubby *54* and I (younger than that) were on a 10 day one way Galveston to San Juan. We had three medical emergencies in the terminal before the ship even left. At each port, we had a medical evacuation via ambulance and one medivac while at sea. There is a downside to cruising with the older crowd.

We are booked on a 11 day Vancouver to Hawaii next month. I'm hoping that this group will be a heartier bunch because we're at sea 5 days in a row and there's nowhere to evacuate to if need be.

I'm going on the 15 day Carnival Miracle cruise to Hawaii. I've heard that this cruise tends to attract older passengers. I believe the average age is on the upper end of 60.

I'm quite younger and I'm looking forward to cruising with a less raucous bunch.

Can someone correct or confirm the following assumptions:

1. The buffet area will be less crowded as the older people will want to use the MDR and specialty restaurants as much as possible. Plus there's the issue of standing, etc.

2. The gym should be empty at 6 am.

3. The CD will be toned down as there won't be a great need to be so "hyped."

So, am I wrong?

Quite honestly I am a little offended at your post and generalizations. I am 65 and in top physical shape. I run, work out, own a sailboat and have sailed the Caribbean. We get Cheers and are pretty damn good drinkers as well. We do more cruises, because generally, I say generally have more money and free time.

1. The MDR vs Buffet is not an age related decision.

2. "Old people" work out just like young people. My gym is packed at 6am with all age groups

3. ridiculous, just ridiculous. Us "old people" shun a good personality and humor

We've done the Hawaii cruise twice in October.

Buffet is just as crowded as our other low season cruises. Both cruises had about 20 kids total, thus raising the average age of the pax. Otherwise the ages ranged from late 20's to lots older.

CD's hyper-ness depends more on the CD than the length of the cruise.

The Captain would prefer no one in the gym too early as it's located directly above his cabin, lol

If you want a shorter geriatric cruise, take a California Coastal on Princess. Our early March Coastal cruise had 5 kids onboard, 3 were preschoolers.

Quite honestly I am a little offended at your post and generalizations. I am 65 and in top physical shape. I run, work out, own a sailboat and have sailed the Caribbean. We get Cheers and are pretty damn good drinkers as well. We do more cruises, because generally, I say generally have more money and free time.

1. The MDR vs Buffet is not an age related decision.

2. "Old people" work out just like young people. My gym is packed at 6am with all age groups

3. ridiculous, just ridiculous. Us "old people" shun a good personality and humor

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just looking for a chilled out cruise.

We've done the Hawaii cruise twice in October.

Buffet is just as crowded as our other low season cruises. Both cruises had about 20 kids total, thus raising the average age of the pax. Otherwise the ages ranged from late 20's to lots older.

CD's hyper-ness depends more on the CD than the length of the cruise.

The Captain would prefer no one in the gym too early as it's located directly above his cabin, lol

If you want a shorter geriatric cruise, take a California Coastal on Princess. Our early March Coastal cruise had 5 kids onboard, 3 were preschoolers.

Wow. The low number of children sounds like heaven.

....We are booked on a 11 day Vancouver to Hawaii next month. I'm hoping that this group will be a heartier bunch because we're at sea 5 days in a row and there's nowhere to evacuate to if need be.

On the Legend? If so, we'll see you on board!

I've done this cruise on Hal, Princess, and Carnival.

Yes, it does attract an older crowd, but I have found Carnival does it better and funner. IMHO.

The older folks on Carnival have always been funner and nicer than on the other lines. Again, just my opinion.