Bringing Wine Onboard

QuakerBoy

If one wishes to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard at embarkation, does it matter if they are in checked luggage left with porters, or do you need to carry them on and "declare" them?

We prefer to place the allowed wine in our carryon. The choice is yours. No declaring the wine you bring aboard.

I think it's recommended you carry it on. But... as mentioned, either way wrap carefully.

A couple cruises ago, DH put the two bottles of wine in a small over the shoulder bag to carry on, not wrapping it carefully enough. He "plopped" the shoulder bag down on the cement floor when waiting in line and one bottle (unknowingly) cracked. So here he is, not knowing that he was dripping wine, as he walked thru the terminal. Another cruiser pointed it out to him. EMBARRASING and a mess he had to clean up in the men's room. While I ran around wiping up the drops of wine he left on the floor so no one would slip. Since then we have purchased the wine sleeves, even for carrying on.

Celebrity's policy is that wine can only be brought on board at embarkation, 2 bottles per stateroom. However, depending on the cruise you might have some luck bringing a bottle on board after a winery tour, especially if you don't over do it. We purchased several bottles in Canada and had no problems. If you are on a short cruise with a lot of teens you would have a harder time.

Are you allowed to bring a couple of bottles at each port during the cruise? I was planning of a day or two at a winery and would like to enjoy a bottle or two on the balcony.

We have and it was taken from us and returned on the last night . This is the rule and most common scenario . Sometimes you get lucky but count on either needing to drink it the last night or take it home

When I took my 2 allowed bottles on embarking in my luggage I was called to the naughty room so they could open my case in my presence. Not worth it as it took time and I had to take my luggage to the cabin myself

It's hit or miss with wine that you bring in from airport. I have bought wine in a port and had them keep it until the end of the cruise, but I have also bought wine and it is gone through without any problem. Be prepared for either circumstance.

I recommend bringing it in your carry-on for both reasons - it could more easily break in your luggage and/or you might get called to the 'naughty' room and while you ultimately would be allowed to bring it on it is a waste of time and a hassle. Unlike others, in 35 Celebrity cruises I have never witnessed anyone being able to bring any kind of liquor onboard at ports without it being confiscated. Not saying it does not happen. But it is not the norm.

We've had at least 4 occasions that I can recall, and probably a few that I can't. Bottle of rum purchased in Puerto Rico and Jamaica, Crown when boarding in Seward, and wine twice on Summit to Canada. Except for a small bottle of ice wine in Canada that we bought for a staff member we would not have cared if they had held it until disembarkation.

These were pretty much adult cruise and I don't imagine that they would be quite as lax on a spring break cruise. BTW, I'm not advocating that anyone try this, just relaying our experience.

2 bottles in each carry on and 2 in each checked bag.

There is no way that they connect them together.

If they give you any problem tell them that you read it on CC so it is gospel. 🤗

Drink up 🍹🍸🍷🍺

If they give you any problem tell them that you read it on CC so it is gospel. 🤗

Drink up 🍹🍸🍷🍺

I'm curious, has anyone tried this strategy? It is certainly reasonable to assume that your carry on and checked luggage are handled (somewhat) independently...

Why be curious?

Passengers are allowed to bring 2 bottles per cabin on board. Period. That is the rule.

Trying to bring more than that on board is a violation, subject to disciplinary action.

You spend thousands on a vacation and then attempt to smuggle a couple extra bottles of wine on board?

Drink up 🍹🍸🍷🍺

So, do you think rules are directional guidelines and subject to your own judgment?

Why be curious?

Passengers are allowed to bring 2 bottles per cabin on board. Period. That is the rule.

Trying to bring more than that on board is a violation, subject to disciplinary action.

You spend thousands on a vacation and then attempt to smuggle a couple extra bottles of wine on board?

Yeah, the disciplinary action will be that they take it away from you and give it back to you on the last evening of the cruise. On some ships you might get 50 lashes with a wet noodle. :rolleyes:

I'm curious, has anyone tried this strategy? It is certainly reasonable to assume that your carry on and checked luggage are handled (somewhat) independently...

Welcome to CC. Your checked luggage and carryon are handled (not somewhat) independently. You are in possession of your carryon and you surrender your checked luggage to the baggage handlers outside the terminal. If we don't have the BP then we put our wine in our carryon. We would never pack wine in our checked luggage. With our luck no matter how we packed the wine it would end up broken. Plus we don't want to waste our time in the naughty room.

Yeah, the disciplinary action will be that they take it away from you and give it back to you on the last evening of the cruise. On some ships you might get 50 lashes with a wet noodle. :rolleyes:

Likely, although they have the option of denying to boarding...and no refund. Further, it shouldn't matter. Are rules optional for you?

Welcome to CC. Your checked luggage and carryon are handled (not somewhat) independently. You are in possession of your carryon and you surrender your checked luggage to the baggage handlers outside the terminal. If we don't have the BP then we put our wine in our carryon. We would never pack wine in our checked luggage. With our luck no matter how we packed the wine it would end up broken. Plus we don't want to waste our time in the naughty room.

Thanks davekathy - been a number of years since my last cruise and will admit I've a pickiness in wine so trying to limit myself to which two to bring is proving challenging!! You raise a good point though, not much use if it breaks in the checked bag....!

Likely, although they have the option of denying to boarding...and no refund. Further, it shouldn't matter. Are rules optional for you?

Very unlikely they will deny you boarding. Personally, I've never heard of such a thing. Some rules are optional as long as it doesn't impinge on my fellow cruisers or it involves wine. :rolleyes:

Thanks davekathy - been a number of years since my last cruise and will admit I've a pickiness in wine so trying to limit myself to which two to bring is proving challenging!! You raise a good point though, not much use if it breaks in the checked bag....!

You're welcome. Good luck with your wine selection. That wouldn't be a good way to start out a cruise with wine soaked clothes. Especially if it's red wine. :eek: Also a waste of good wine. ;)

Buy a wine diaper-really-it works. Got mine online.