Alleged Terror incident Barcelona

hcat

Van crash Incident near or on Las Ramblas, Barcelona, with fatalities being reported on breaking news....little facts known yet

Hope everyone who may be cruising to that city is and will stay safe ..prayers go out for victims and their families

as per Yahoo News there have been anti tourist incidents recently ..no idea if connected to todays events

"In recent weeks, threatening graffiti against tourists has appeared in Barcelona, which draws at least 11 million visitors a year.

In one video released under the slogan “tourism kills neighbourhoods”, several hooded individuals stopped a tourist bus in Barcelona, slashed the tyres and spray-painted the windscreen." ( yahoo news)

Van crash Incident near or on Las Ramblas, Barcelona, with fatalities being reported on breaking news....little facts known yet

Hope everyone who may be cruising to that city is and will stay safe ..prayers go out for victims and their families

as per Yahoo News there have been anti tourist incidents recently ..no idea if connected to todays events

"In recent weeks, threatening graffiti against tourists has appeared in Barcelona, which draws at least 11 million visitors a year.

In one video released under the slogan “tourism kills neighbourhoods”, several hooded individuals stopped a tourist bus in Barcelona, slashed the tyres and spray-painted the windscreen." ( yahoo news)

Today's sad events in Barcelona are now obviously being reported as a terrorist incident. The protests you refer to are because local people are unable to afford to buy or rent property because of high prices for property due to them being used for tourism. They have damaged a bus and some tourist bikes and sprayed graffiti and whilst I am sure these things were upsetting they were not terrorism.

I know Barcelona well and my heart goes out to this beautiful city, it's people and its visitors, wherever they may come from.

Looks like one ship was in port..Brilliance ( if the port calendar is correct) and US college teams..all safe.

We love Barcelona....heartbreaking!

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities. My heart goes out to all those affected by the attack.

P&O Britannia left port with all passengers and crew safe. The Captain sailed close to the shore, so that passengers could use their phones.

Tui Discovery 2 is still in port, some passengers are in ' lock down.'

According to BBC news, 13 people are reported killed.

My heart hurts for those who have again suffered in yet another terrorist attack. Remembering fondly our three days in Barcelona pre-cruise in 2014. We stayed off Las Ramblas and walked the length of it twice. (((shaking my head)))

Unfortunately, not "alleged" . It is a terrorist attack.

The van mowed pedestrians down on Las Ramblas, Barcelona - many dead and injured. Terrible day for Barcelona and it's visitors :loudcry:

There were 4 cruise ships docked today : Aida Aura ; RCL Brilliance of the Seas ; P&O Brittania ; (Thomson) TUI Discovery 2.

Unfortunately the TUI Discovery had not left when the attack occurred - it was due to sail at 7pm (19:00) -- so cruisers would still have been in the city when the terror attack occurred. The captain delayed the sailing & was waiting for people to try to make their way back . Hopefully not only were they safe, but could manage to get back to the ship before it leaves/left (if possible - as roads were closed, metros closed ,etc).

Celebrity Reflection is due to stop in Barcelona next week -- on 24th & 25th Aug (overnight). I wonder will that change now.

This is terrible news. I was talking with a co-worker yesterday about my upcoming cruise to Barcelona. She mentioned that her daughter had just returned from a vacation there. We both commented about how Spain seemed to have avoided the violence that had hit other parts of Europe.

We will be in Barcelona next year. It is very sad what happened but this will not deter our plans.

We were in Paris a couple of months ago. We didn't let prior issues deter us.

If we did we would stay home.

You have a higher chance of losing your life driving in a car in your home town.

As to Spain remember several years ago they had the terrorist attack on the train.

We just had a terrorist attack in the States just the other day.

Keith

Unfortunately, not "alleged" . It is a terrorist attack.

The van mowed pedestrians down on Las Ramblas, Barcelona - many dead and injured. Terrible day for Barcelona and it's visitors :loudcry:

There were 4 cruise ships docked today : Aida Aura ; RCL Brilliance of the Seas ; P&O Brittania ; (Thomson) TUI Discovery 2.

Unfortunately the TUI Discovery had not left when the attack occurred - it was due to sail at 7pm (19:00) -- so cruisers would still have been in the city when the terror attack occurred. The captain delayed the sailing & was waiting for people to try to make their way back . Hopefully not only were they safe, but could manage to get back to the ship before it leaves/left (if possible - as roads were closed, metros closed ,etc).

Celebrity Reflection is due to stop in Barcelona next week -- on 24th & 25th Aug (overnight). I wonder will that change now.

Wondering also. We will be on that sailing.